By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA kills F2P Command & Conquer and the Studio

EA executives make a really stupid decision.

EA executives salaries go up.

Lower-leveled workers are laid off.

Lol.

Around the Network

I'm confused.... i thought it was a new Bioware studio that was developing the new C&C Generals game.

This is a different game yes?

After some investigation i learned the studio turned out not to be part of Bioware and it is indeed the one. What a debocle. I'm not a fan of generals anyways, so it didnt bother me. I would like to see more C&C and Red alert though.

benao87 said:

QTF! Playing Red Alert 3 was a sad experience for me.

Really?  What about Red Alert 3 made you sad?

Not to single you out for it, because I've seen a lot of people do it; but it seems to get a lot of flak, and when I ask people why they say "because it didn't feel as good as Red Alert 2" or something similar.

I personally really enjoyed Red Alert 3.  It continued the silly, campy time-travel storyline really well.  Tim Curry & George Takei were absolutely fantastic in their roles.  As for the game itself, I felt it really continued that traditional Red Alert "land, sea and air" vibe where anything was viable.  I loved that they added a co-op campaign (a friend and I played the whole game together and it worked fantastically) and skirmish mode provided me with another 100+ hours of enjoyment.

So I often struggle to understand the criticism for it :P

That sucks. I was actually reading up on the new Generals a couple days ago and had no idea it had morphed into a F2P game. Well good riddance!

Guess I will just keep playing Civ 5 until they make a new C&C.

EA up to their same old tricks.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
1. Good news: We will be getting a proper C & C generals game. Not some F2P game. I miss C & C generals and zero hour expansion.

2. Bad news: Victory Games was shut down. I dont know them but those people just became jobless. Really sad.

Sums up what I was going to say. Sucks some people lost their job but I am glad we may get a proper C&C game again. I really did not like the last one.

ListerOfSmeg said:
daredevil.shark said:
1. Good news: We will be getting a proper C & C generals game. Not some F2P game. I miss C & C generals and zero hour expansion.

2. Bad news: Victory Games was shut down. I dont know them but those people just became jobless. Really sad.

Sums up what I was going to say. Sucks some people lost their job but I am glad we may get a proper C&C game again. I really did not like the last one.

I don't know why you think we would get a proper C&C game, before this they shutdown their other F2P C&C studio Phenomic, and that game was not even completed (ie; upgrades and other things are missing almost 2 years in)

EA Destroyed C&C, its like they destroyed a part of my youth as C&C was my first PC (though I managed to get it for the Saturn before I ever had a PC) and its one of the reasons I despise them among many, they gobble up the franchises we love and eventually, out pops a turd that trail blazes and fortells doom.

However I am sure we had seen it coming since C&C4 came out.

jlrx said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
daredevil.shark said:

I don't know why you think we would get a proper C&C game, before this they shutdown their other F2P C&C studio Phenomic, and that game was not even completed (ie; upgrades and other things are missing almost 2 years in)

EA Destroyed C&C, its like they destroyed a part of my youth as C&C was my first PC (though I managed to get it for the Saturn before I ever had a PC) and its one of the reasons I despise them among many, they gobble up the franchises we love and eventually, out pops a turd that trail blazes and fortells doom.

Well I did say may get one and C&C 4 is exactly why I said may. I really did not like it myself. Hoping if we do get one, they go back to the old formula

Kresnik said:
benao87 said:

QTF! Playing Red Alert 3 was a sad experience for me.

Really?  What about Red Alert 3 made you sad?

Not to single you out for it, because I've seen a lot of people do it; but it seems to get a lot of flak, and when I ask people why they say "because it didn't feel as good as Red Alert 2" or something similar.

I personally really enjoyed Red Alert 3.  It continued the silly, campy time-travel storyline really well.  Tim Curry & George Takei were absolutely fantastic in their roles.  As for the game itself, I felt it really continued that traditional Red Alert "land, sea and air" vibe where anything was viable.  I loved that they added a co-op campaign (a friend and I played the whole game together and it worked fantastically) and skirmish mode provided me with another 100+ hours of enjoyment.

So I often struggle to understand the criticism for it :P

It was probably due to high expectations not being met. I never tried the co-op, and I reckon that the game was build around that feature, and don't know, I didn't felt that good with AI at your side, battling with another AI.

Japan was another thing, you may have noticed that I have quite an interest in the country, as you see me as a regular in the COMG thread, and well I was expecting more from that. But, again, the balance of the game wasn't that good, and the allied side seemed again to be favoured. This was also an issue in RA2, and I shouldn't have expected anything.

I don't know at what time did you played the game, I tried it quite early, and it was quite buggy. They surely have patched everything and that, but I remember that until that game I've never seen a game crashing that many times.

I played the Japan, and Soviet campaigns, enjoyed at a certain point, but that was it. Didn't bothered trying it online, nor in LAN, as I did with previous C&C games. EA will probably release RA4, and I will try, and this time I may will try to keep the expectations at a decent level.

jlrx said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
daredevil.shark said:

Yeah. I miss westwood studios. They were the best. C & C Read alredt 2 and C & C generals were my favorite. I am still remember a red alert music "time is running out". It was a great game.