By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA kills F2P Command & Conquer and the Studio

ListerOfSmeg said:
jlrx said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
daredevil.shark said:
1. Good news: We will be getting a proper C & C generals game. Not some F2P game. I miss C & C generals and zero hour expansion.

2. Bad news: Victory Games was shut down. I dont know them but those people just became jobless. Really sad.

Sums up what I was going to say. Sucks some people lost their job but I am glad we may get a proper C&C game again. I really did not like the last one.

I don't know why you think we would get a proper C&C game, before this they shutdown their other F2P C&C studio Phenomic, and that game was not even completed (ie; upgrades and other things are missing almost 2 years in)

EA Destroyed C&C, its like they destroyed a part of my youth as C&C was my first PC (though I managed to get it for the Saturn before I ever had a PC) and its one of the reasons I despise them among many, they gobble up the franchises we love and eventually, out pops a turd that trail blazes and fortells doom.

However I am sure we had seen it coming since C&C4 came out.

Well I did say may get one and C&C 4 is exactly why I said may. I really did not like it myself. Hoping if we do get one, they go back to the old formula

I miss C & C red alert 2 and generals days. They were so good that they made a FPS as C & C renegate. It wasnt very popular. But I played it a lot. EA killed all good studios.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Xen said:

I think I was like 13-14 when I played it, didn't care for multiplayer in anything at that age.

BUT HURR HURR YOU CAN PLAY AS THE INFANTRY FROM TIBERIAN SUN. AND YOU HAVE THE OBELISK OF LIGHT THERE!

Yeah, that was enough.

Obelisks of light used to terrify me as a kid.  And CABAL:

And that weird massive cyborg thing from Firestorm because it was invincible:

Now that I think about it, this series scared the bejesus out of me when I was younger.  And I loved it for that :P

Aaaaah man, that Cabal robot was awesome. I was totally not prepared for that. My base almost got completely destroyed because I was not prepared I was able to destroy him just before my construction building was destroyed

Speaking of obelisks of light:

Did i bring back some childhood trauma's

With the obelisk of light i had moments where the obelisk of light was almost destroyed and it starts charging up. And i'm like come on destroy it before it fires..Those moments were damn tense. First C&C one of the best strategy games ever. And also a very enjoyable multiplayer game (LAN ftw)!!!

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

forest-spirit said:
For the love of god EA, just let C & C die. You have damaged the brand beyond repair and simply don't have what it takes to make something good of it. Accept defeat and move on.

C&C is a relic!

I have no intention of playing another rehash of the stale C&C formula or a terrible ham fisted attempt to rip off other popular strategy games (C&C 4).

Realtime strategy isn't very popular at the moment (Starcraft II being the exception). More people are playing MOBAs, Realtime Tactics, Turn-based strategy, 4X, Grand strategy (usually from Paradox Interactive).

I.e. LoL, Dota 2, Total War, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Europa Universalis, CIV, XCOM, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gal Civ.

dobby985 said:
forest-spirit said:
For the love of god EA, just let C & C die. You have damaged the brand beyond repair and simply don't have what it takes to make something good of it. Accept defeat and move on.

C&C is a relic!

I have no intention of playing another rehash of the stale C&C formula or a terrible ham fisted attempt to rip off other popular strategy games (C&C 4).

Realtime strategy isn't very popular at the moment (Starcraft II being the exception). More people are playing MOBAs, Realtime Tactics, Turn-based strategy, 4X, Grand strategy (usually from Paradox Interactive).

I.e. LoL, Dota 2, Total War, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Europa Universalis, CIV, XCOM, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gal Civ.

What's a relic? They ruined the game, ofcourse no one wants to play them. If they stuck true to what made the game successful, it would have been fantastic, but they took too much away, base building, and resources all changed, it was ridiculous how they expected fans of the series to swallow that garbage. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_UkIMK71VQ

Go back to before they tried to "improve" things, before C&C4 (C&C3+ Kanes Wrath), those were the games we LOVED

I also enjoyed Renegade, it was one of the first "FPS" games where I got to use vehicles and C&C vehicles at that.

Also enjoyed sole survivor way back in the day, played it for hours on end for a few weeks after I got it, always fun.

EA = Evil.

benao87 said:

It was probably due to high expectations not being met. I never tried the co-op, and I reckon that the game was build around that feature, and don't know, I didn't felt that good with AI at your side, battling with another AI.

Japan was another thing, you may have noticed that I have quite an interest in the country, as you see me as a regular in the COMG thread, and well I was expecting more from that. But, again, the balance of the game wasn't that good, and the allied side seemed again to be favoured. This was also an issue in RA2, and I shouldn't have expected anything.

I don't know at what time did you played the game, I tried it quite early, and it was quite buggy. They surely have patched everything and that, but I remember that until that game I've never seen a game crashing that many times.

I played the Japan, and Soviet campaigns, enjoyed at a certain point, but that was it. Didn't bothered trying it online, nor in LAN, as I did with previous C&C games. EA will probably release RA4, and I will try, and this time I may will try to keep the expectations at a decent level.

No, that's a fair assessment, I was just interested in hearing your thoughts.  I did play it later on, so didn't suffer any issues to do with bugs (at least, nothing I noticed particularly badly).

I wasn't too sure about balance issues.  I felt Japan's ability to place buildings anywhere was pretty great; and each side had overpowered units (particularly an army of those helicopters for the Soviets), but you're probably right that allies were the best.

I'm still looking forward to RA4 in any case, if it ever ends up happening :p