By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR ON PS4 DRM - if true - how will you react?

If true, PS4's 180 means

A Sony has no shame ! 105 30.97%

B Gamers are gullible ! 52 15.34%

A&B - Both are to blame 99 29.20%

C - None, common practice 82 24.19%

Total:338
fighter said:

So the rumor is that Sony pulled the first 180 regarding DRM policy and that the first patch is supposed to disable all DRMs and allow playing of movies.

If the rumor turns out to be true - how would that make you feel ?

Simple hypothetical question, no drama please.

Well firstly I'm just going to clarify that I'm just answering the hypothetical question. The rumor's bogus and the thread has some big flaws, but it does have a valid hypothetical question.

I'd be ok with it. In this hypothetical situation it was on the drawing board but scrapped before being announced, so there's really no problem with it. There have been much worse concepts dropped at the 11th hour and at the end of the day it doesn't affect consumers.

From my dev perspective, I'd kinda be frustrated with it being dropped actually. Not because I support it, but because it would factor in to what and how I was developing.

Around the Network

doubt it highly

I have a feeling if it were true, many people that love Sony would not have issues with it. Look at how many trashed Live last gen yet now that PS4 requires payment to access Multiplayer, its not an issue at all. Many are going out of their way now just to justify it as a good thing.

What it really comes down to is people who do not like MS will find any reason to justify their hate, however when their company does the same thing, its completely okay.
Go back to before Move and many Sony gamers trashed it. Then Move came along, worked pretty much the exact same way, and it was heralded as hardcore and must own. Gamepad is seen as crap because of touchscreen, touchpad on PS4 seen as revolution and innovation.

Meh not at this point. Not after what the reaction that MS got.

no doubt they were considering it - but wasn't ps4's manufactured after e3, so they could've easily removed a line or two of code after/before then. and every console has day 1 launches so who cares

Around the Network

Both PS4 and the One have DRM mechanisms in place, the only difference is that M$ was foolhardy enough to dive straight into the DRM pool without testing the waters first, and ended up splitting their skull in the shallow end.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

If it was pre-announcement, I don't see the issue. It's the equivalent to them trying out many different DS4 prototypes; they test a variety of strategies and pick the best. It would be like what Nintendo seemed to do with Origin before they scrapped the deal. No one is that bothered that they considered it.

If it was post-announcement, they are insane. They said at the time there was no DRM (well only publisher determined like the PS3), so it would make no sense whatsoever.

PSN: Osc89

NNID: Oscar89

No offense, but is this is what the anti-PS crowd is resorting to now, it's pretty pathetic.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon