By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is this the week Wii passes Gamecubes lifetime sales?

It has a long way to go in America.
http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=GC&reg2=America&cons3=GC&reg3=America&start=39124&end=39488&weekly=1

In my opinion, every area needs to dominate for it to really matter, not just Japan and Others...   (although is nice that it's nearly there world wide...)

Around the Network

Nintendo stopped shipping GC back in March I think, with a total of 21.59 million GCs shipped. VGC shows 21.514 million sold, so there are still roughly 75k new GCs left... pretty much all of them will be in USA/Canada. So this week (posted next week) Wii will definately have passed GC because there are not enough left in stock even if it did havr a sudden surge (which would be hilarious, a nice send off for a brilliant console)

double post.

Oh bloody 'ell

(Woah! Triple post!)

Well america numbers are in, the wii sold 216k units, up from 92k sold lsat week! I was right! With that and the others numbers, it makes 344k!

It now needs (Exactly) 174 859 units to tie this weeks (Last weeks) total cube sales. Last week japan sold about 97 000 wii's. If Japan sells 2.3 times as many like america did, it would sell...227k, enough to put it over the cube.

While highly unlikely, it's not out of the realm of the possible.It might just happen, even taking into account the remaining gamecubes for sale.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

I don't think so. It should be quite close though. Hopefully I'm wrong.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Needs 2 more weeks. (Feb 17th sales)

Unless...the 'cube makes a comeback OH YEAH!

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I'm pretty sure it won't take two weeks. After this week it will either just pass it, or be just behind, and even if all the remaining Gamecube units were sold this instant, one week of wii could topple it easily.

Next week at the latest, this week, maybe.

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

holy crap america surged this week on the wii sales. no games came out did they? i guess thats just straight demand right there. can't wait for nintendo to restart production of gcubes to keep ahead of wii and pass xbox selling them for $40!

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Next week is the week, but I feel sad for my GC and happy about ninty ;)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies