By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS4 runs hotter than PS3 (updated!!)

like with all new console HW the initial first skus arent as efficient and you also got more tech inside next gen if its true or not i wouldnt be surprised if it runs hotter

you want to prolong the life of your console a cheap and easy way that i use besides the obvious (clean and have it well ventilated) is to jack it up put 4 small blocks about 1 inch by 1 inch on each corner under your console i remember reading a test done on a PS3 and it resulted in about 20 degrees cooler

i got a thermometer behind the ps3 where the exhaust vent is and noticed that w/o being jacket up on the hottest summer day i would get 120 F and up with it jacked up it wouldnt go past 110

but regardless of want measures you take if the console isnt designed right its bound to break early look at the failure rates of the early PS3s and 360 this gen compared to the later this can even be seen since ps1 days

Play Me

Around the Network
pezus said:
landguy1 said:
Is the heat caused by the super fast GPU or crazy fanboys typing on their keyboards trying to come up with something negative to say about the console they are not buying?

Isn't this post a bit ironic, considering the thread it's in?

I got super busy for a couple of days and I come back and  it's like some crazy virus has infected everyone on this site.  Almost every  thread is just completely insane!!!  I know for sure we are getting close to launch, the hysteria is reaching new heights.  I read the COD thread about the resolution on PS4 vs XB1 and almost fell out of my chair.  People are trying so hard to try and convince each other to change their minds about which console to buy.  On this site, you are either preaching to the choir or you are beating your head against the wall.  People here have made their mind up by E3 and aren't looking back til next year if at all.

arcane_chaos said:
pokoko said:

"Sony's PlayStation 4 will run at a significantly cooler temperature than the PlayStation 3, making it less likely to overheat.

Extensive testing by US government agency the FCC has revealed that the console will run at between 5 and 35 degrees Celsius, compared to its predecessor's average of between 45 and 55."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a500626/ps4-cooler-lighter-than-ps3-fcc-test-confirms.html#ixzz2imE0nPJ4
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

and we're done here

5-35c in that little package with that GPU?

Sony, make a video on how to build a PC like that... that small or smaller... sounds good to me.

4k1x3r said:

B B B b B B B bB bb B but guys he's not random, he's the guy who wrote

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=168634&page=

:'((((

The bandwidth for the Xbox 360 is 50% higher.  The Xbox One's bandwidth to the Northbridge is 30GB/s vs 20GB/s on the PS4.

The Northbridge sits between the memory and the CPU, acting both as a cache and memory controller.

So...

Xbox One:
Memory > 68GB/s > Northbridge Controller/Cache > 30GB/s > CPU 

PS4:
Memory > 176GB/s > Northbridge Controller/Cache > 20GB/s > CPU

pokoko said:

Extensive testing by US government agency the FCC has revealed that the console will run at between 5 and 35 degrees Celsius, compared to its predecessor's average of between 45 and 55."

Good Lord, not again....

The FCC DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT how hot your gadget runs. If it blows up during testing, you fail the test by default because it was determined untestable.

Manufacturers who wish to sell telecom, licensed RF, and low powered transmitters in the United States must have their products tested by FCC listed or accredited lab and certified by the FCC for EMC/Telecom compliance.

So if your console is not a radio station, it will get the certificate. Again, the temperature is completely irrelevant. And again^2, we are not testing military rockets, we are testing consoles. The operating temperature in this context is the room temperature your console is located.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:

The bandwidth for the Xbox 360 is 50% higher.  The Xbox One's bandwidth to the Northbridge is 30GB/s vs 20GB/s on the PS4.

The Northbridge sits between the memory and the CPU, acting both as a cache and memory controller.

What makes you think the cache controlers need more than 20GB/s? Wouldn't it be slighly foolish for any manufacturer NOT TO ACTUALLY TEST what bandwidth is needed? Do you really think Sony's engineers sat there thinking "Jolly, let's create a bottleneck here right from the start!"

SandyVGina said:
maybe put it in the frig???

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

drkohler said:
Adinnieken said:

The bandwidth for the Xbox One is 50% higher.  The Xbox One's bandwidth to the Northbridge is 30GB/s vs 20GB/s on the PS4.

What makes you think the cache controlers need more than 20GB/s? Wouldn't it be slighly foolish for any manufacturer NOT TO ACTUALLY TEST what bandwidth is needed? Do you really think Sony's engineers sat there thinking "Jolly, let's create a bottleneck here right from the start!"

Why are you attempting to put words in my mouth?

Nothing I said is factually wrong.  The Xbox One (edit: I originally said 360 meant One) is 30GB/s vs 20GB/s for the PS4.

I offered no conclusion.  If you don't think that there is a bottleneck, fine.  I'll let you draw whatever conclusions you want to.  Don't sit there and try to imply I'm drawing a conclusion.   

Run cooler... move on.