By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which final fantasy has the BEST story?

Which Generation of final fantasy is your fave?

Old School (FF1-FF6) 79 30.04%

Golden Age (FF7-FF12) 173 65.78%

Moden Era (FF13-??) 10 3.80%

Total:262

All this talk of FFIX makes me want to download it off the PSN and play it all over again >_>.

*dusts off his old Playonline guide* .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
aikohualda said:
think-man said:
FF IX :)

really? i was almost sure that you would say not 9 :P

hahaha funny guy

6, 7, 10, 12, 4, 1, 3, 9.... in no particular order. 5 is good, 2 is garbage, 8 is garbage, 13 is decent.

Hynad said:
FF X's main plot is paper thin...

Well, opinions..., That's what so good about FF, everybody have their favourite....XD

colafitte said:
Hynad said:
FF X's main plot is paper thin...

Well, opinions..., That's what so good about FF, everybody have their favourite....XD

originally it is... a boy with daddy issues... but finding out nothing you know is real and you are probably not real is beyond paper thin for me.....

i really liked how tidus told the story in first person....

Around the Network

For me, to choose a FF over another is like choosing your favourite son, i like them all, yes.... even the poor XIII...XDDDDDDD

I started with FF VII, and only played FF VI a few years ago... I wish i played the game when it launched..., the experience would have been much different....

VI and IX have got the best stories. Definitely a tie :P

gooch_destroyer said:
Not 13-2 :P

I need to play 9 though

But right now I like 10

Agreed.

Kasz216 said:
pokoko said:
Final Fantasy Tactics. The story was fantastic. It was A Game of Thrones in sprite form. I'm not kidding about that. War, murder, social injustice, betrayal, revenge, regicide, patricide, power struggles between church and state, and the skewed perspective of history were all themes. It was mature in every sense of the word.

I'm curious, have you played the games that Final Fantasy was the spirtual successor to?

For me, Final Fantasy Tactics story never really won me over because it was more or less just trying to convert over the Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle world in Final Fantasy form.

To me, it never matched the storytelling power that was found in Tactics Ogre: LUCT.

I wouldn't say Final Fantasy Tactics is Ogre Battle in Final Fantasy form, because there's really nothing to say what Final Fantasy actually is.  It's just with Yasumi Matsuno doing the writing, he decided to push the story of a nation in conflict like many of his games.  It's not the first Final Fantasy to have that style of story though.  Final Fantasy 2 and 6 have the same basic premise in story telling, exccept both games have the empire as the dominant force against everyone else where as Final Fantasy Tactics has two main forces against each other while you and others are against them and each other.

*edit*

Every Final Fantasy has an enemy who has control over a single opposing force, but the two above are the ones that are more like Final Fantasy Tactics than the others and also came out prior to Final Fantasy Tactics.

aikohualda said:

No thatvwasnt my call... square enix named it like that..

Really? So the modern era is 1 game?

I mean what else is there?

Hmm, pie.