By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Ask a dev anything - Closed

Nyleveia said:
zarx said:
Any thoughts on AMD's mantle API?

Its nice, but early days, not the jaw dropping revolutionary breakthrough some think but still an improvement, it can be used on both systems, regardless of which driver environment either one uses, so a plus for both consoles.

Xenobot said:

I'm an old fart with no education. (31 y.) Is there any chance for me to get into game dev or should I forget dreams and start doing something else like growing carrots or baking bread?

My programing skills are good, but I lack the knowledge. I have now 4 mobile games released (puzzle games) and 2 more in dev (platformer and another puzzle game).

There is really no reason why you couldnt if you put your mind to it, you at least have some experience with it so its not going to be all moonspeak to you, or at least not for long.

regarding fatslob, please just ignore rather than derail the thread, no amount of arguing is going to settle it.

Fine.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
fatslob-:O said:
walsufnir said:
fatslob-:O said:

Then why did you imply that C++ has alot of performance hits when using the same C code would have net the same performance ? (Any programmar would tell you that there would be no difference in performance as long as you use C codes only.) 

Edit: I'm sorry but your statement of "sub-optimal" made no absolute sense.

That is because you didn't understand what I wrote. Design choices in the language are sub-optimal. This doesn't necessarily imply performance hits but what is possible with that language and how you achieve what you want with your code. Please again, do yourself a favor and open the google-link if you want to widen your horizon. I didn't imply anything regarding performance hits, you misread it and again wanted to start a dispute and got personal because of your inability to read.

Doesn't matter in game development, after all the benefits outweigh those so called "Design choices" otherwise no game developer would be massively using C++ because of it, period. 

You are shifting back and forth with what you want to say. It all started with "Why on earth would developers use C when C++ is the standard ? (Even for 3D graphics engines.)" And this is completely wrong. C++ is a standard, yes, but not the standard programming language. It is your fault that you made the post general and also included 3d. If you had said it is a standard for 3d you would be quite fine but so... It is just wrong.

Again, I did some googling for you again:

https://www.google.de/search?q=main+programming+languages&client=firefox-a&hs=EZ4&rls=org.mozilla%3Ade%3Aofficial&channel=fflb&sa=X&ei=j5ZfUt1mp9DhBNWCgNgO&ved=0CCMQpwUoBg&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1.1.2013%2Ccd_max%3A&tbm=

You realize that I was refering to game developer, right ? :-|

Its nice, but early days, not the jaw dropping revolutionary breakthrough some think but still an improvement, it can be used on both systems, regardless of which driver environment either one uses, so a plus for both consoles.

i don't know this stuff but i read somewhere, AMD said its pc exclusive since consoles already have low-level API?

Saviour said:

i don't know this stuff but i read somewhere, AMD said its pc exclusive since consoles already have low-level API?

Yes. Well, not really "since". It's pc exclusive. Actual reasons may vary.

What have been some of the most frustrating problems you have overcome?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
What have been some of the most frustrating problems you have overcome?

In truth, the broken vending machine out in the hall.

programming problems are part of the fun, if you had no problems in your code it wouldnt be interesting.

walsufnir said:

i see. if it's use on consoles will there be any improvement over the existing ApIs?

Saviour said:
walsufnir said:

i see. if it's use on consoles will there be any improvement over the existing ApIs?

Most probably not.

A nice blogpost by Daniel Collin about programming games and programming in general:
http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/01/20/introducing-score/

As a programmer, for you... what is the best looking game of this gen on consoles? And the best looking game of the new gen? (I know your answer will not be the irrefutable and only truth, but i would like to know your opinion)

And for you, what is the studio who did the best job in this generation?

Also, some people is saying the next gen of consoles will take less time to release the full potential of hardware because is x86, do you agree with those words? or do you think studios may be pulling and squeezing the hardware in a noticeable way until the end, like they did in every other generation?

This thread is being so so interesting.

Thank you very much.