By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Ask a dev anything - Closed

ghettoglamour said:
Nyleveia said:
ghettoglamour said:
I have one simple question: Why are you doing this?

Why not?

I don't know, it takes time and effort and you don't really get anything from it. You also won't be able to answer the most interesting questions to most people, such as like what kind of game are you making, for which company do you work, which games have you been involved so far, etc.

Nvm, I wonder: Which modern games do you admire most from a programmer perspective (I don't really mean your favorite games), but the ones that have achieved the most impressive things to you. And if you name some games, what kind of achievements are impressive?

Most of my appreciation comes from the code not the game, but the rendering setup from killzone is beautiful.

To really comment on other games i would need to see the code for them, and generally you dont get to do that for a game unless its the one youre working on, though i have seen killzones code, and ive seen halo 4 code, and some others.

the code in halo 4 for handling the enemies phasing in and out of vision is lovely, too.

Around the Network
Frequency said:
ghettoglamour said:
Nyleveia said:
ghettoglamour said:
I have one simple question: Why are you doing this?

Why not?

I don't know, it takes time and effort and you don't really get anything from it. You also won't be able to answer the most interesting questions to most people, such as like what kind of game are you making, for which company do you work, which games have you been involved so far, etc.

Nvm, I wonder: Which modern games do you admire most from a programmer perspective (I don't really mean your favorite games), but the ones that have achieved the most impressive things to you. And if you name some games, what kind of achievements are impressive?

Most of my appreciation comes from the code not the game, but the rendering setup from killzone is beautiful.

To really comment on other games i would need to see the code for them, and generally you dont get to do that for a game unless its the one youre working on, though i have seen killzones code, and ive seen halo 4 code, and some others.

the code in halo 4 for handling the enemies phasing in and out of vision is lovely, too.

"For me code has more in common with poetry or some kind of writing. The beauty of
it is in structure, in putting ideas across, one at the time and clear it away. - Alan Cox"

what game engine do you wish you had worked on?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Was it really so difficult to develop for the PS3? :)

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

What's your favourite type of cake?

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Back in April, Cerny stated in Gamasutra interview that when they toured development studios asking what they wanted from the PlayStation 4, the "largest piece of feedback that we got is they wanted unified memory."

What's your take on that, as a developer?

Very interesting and informative thread.

Silly question but, does the genre of the game make your work harder than others? Is it harder to make and engine for a racing game than a platformer, for example, or it's all basically the same?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

How long will it take for devs to get used to the programming of the 15 co processors for Xbox One?

Also are you impressed by what devs have already achieved at launch with Ryse, Forza 5 and Killzone SF?

selnor1983 said:
How long will it take for devs to get used to the programming of the 15 co processors for Xbox One?

Also are you impressed by what devs have already achieved at launch with Ryse, Forza 5 and Killzone SF?

1) NDA

2) No, see below.

HoloDust said:
Back in April, Cerny stated in Gamasutra interview that when they toured development studios asking what they wanted from the PlayStation 4, the "largest piece of feedback that we got is they wanted unified memory."

What's your take on that, as a developer?

Back when the 360 launched, 512mb was quite a lot for a console, but as time and technologies have passed its become more and more of a problem, so when they were at the studio rather than pull us all in to a single room to ask what we wanted, Sonys, or rather, marks little team would go around and sit with the devs for a while while they worked, asked them about where they saw technology going, what constraints could be altered to best allow for game creation, what limits we would push in the hardware to best make use of the software, on a one on one basis, it was really refreshing and down to earth, and the team were genuinely interested in what we were doing and what we had to say, it one of the biggest reasons why developers generally favor the PS4, not so much because of the final specification, but because of their approach toward developers.

They asked what we thought of 1gb, 2gb, "or even 4gb", so when they revealed that they had in fact used 8gb of unified, even we were shocked, but its a good shock, not a "bastards we have been working under the assumption of less", for us its a few flags and a few adjustments to our code, giving a better overall result in image quality.

that said we are still learning the systems and what we see at launch are essentially glorified tech demos while we port over our code or write new code and make it look as pretty as possible, if you are impressed with what you see so far, the future will blow you away.

JEMC said:
Very interesting and informative thread.

Silly question but, does the genre of the game make your work harder than others? Is it harder to make and engine for a racing game than a platformer, for example, or it's all basically the same?

Basically the same, genre doesnt make it harder or easier overall, you just spend more time focusing on a different area.

Thanks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.