By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Aonuma Says We Will Get Zelda Wii U Information At E3 2014.

Legendary Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has stated that Zelda fans will have to wait until next year’s E3 event in Los Angeles for news regarding the next instalment of the Zelda franchise on Wii U. During the same interview Aonuma explained that Nintendo have heard the complaints about the lack of openness in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Wii and are possibly looking to incorporate an open-world in the next Zelda game.

Can you tell us anything about the Wii U Zelda game?

“I’ll say more at E3 2014.”

Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker were very open worlds, while Skyward Sword was very closed. Is there a chance we’ll see that openness again?

“I think the most open-world Zelda we’ve had so far has been Wind Waker, just because you were able to sail the ocean and go all over the islands. When creating a game, we look at what is the core, kernel gameplay. You try to construct the game around that, and making that core mechanic the easiest to access.”

“For Skyward Sword, that kind of narrowed, focused world helped us with that, but at the same time it meant you didn’t have that wide-open world to explore. We’ve heard the complaint about lack of openness from a lot of fans. As we’re deciding what the core gameplay mechanic was, we have that open-world desire at the forefront of our minds, and we’re trying to figure out how to incorporate that as well.”

Around the Network

Bring back Epona
Night time exploration
2 Link forms like young and adult.
Connected Overworld
Limitless pouch size

E3 2014 sounds good. There are already two Zelda's in 2013. Why announce now and take away attention span away from current ones.

I'm extremely hyped after reading some Aonuma interviews fromt New York Comic-Con.

are nintendo idiots? do they have no understanding what so ever on how to market their games any more? why did they just saw the next zelda will be at E3? surprise people, let them speculate, not tell them what they are going to see. this will probably be their biggest announcement next year, as smash bros, mario kart and 3d mario are all already announced. they did the same thing this E3 and it killed off a lot of the hype for their E3 show, people simply knew what they were gonna see. they knew smash bros, mario kart and 3d mario were going to be announced.

nintendo when you want to announce a big game, give it the announcement it deserves, dont just say when you will show it 7 or 8 months before. they are literally shooting them selfs in the foot here.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
are nintendo idiots? do they have no understanding what so ever on how to market their games any more? why did they just saw the next zelda will be at E3? surprise people, let them speculate, not tell them what they are going to see. this will probably be their biggest announcement next year, as smash bros, mario kart and 3d mario are all already announced. they did the same thing this E3 and it killed off a lot of the hype for their E3 show, people simply knew what they were gonna see. they knew smash bros, mario kart and 3d mario were going to be announced.

nintendo when you want to announce a big game, give it the announcement it deserves, dont just say when you will show it 7 or 8 months before. they are literally shooting them selfs in the foot here.

Overreacting Sony Fan detected....we already knew we will hear something about Zelda after hearing a lot about the reveal from Iwata, Miyamoto, Aonuma. And btw. It's Zelda for a home console. There will be always hype for it.....

@kingofbananas Hype doesn't mean shit when people are only interested in hype. I've seen Sony exclusive after exclusive bomb this gen barring a few. The hype would make it seem as the game would crack 5 million but it would be a miracle if it even hit 1.

Also i'd rather a game announcement instead of ton of build up hype that doesn't materialize.

cycycychris said:
I'm guessing this basically confirms that this game won't be coming out in 2014. I'm sure though that some details of the game will be "leaked" before E3 to try and build up suspense. But I hope they do have more of a open world design to this game.

Why? Between Worlds was revealed 1-2 months before E3 and is coming in November. Iwata even stated they won't reveal their stuff so soon anymore.

Th3PANO said:
bananaking21 said:

Overreacting Sony Fan detected....we already knew we will hear something about Zelda after hearing a lot about the reveal from Iwata, Miyamoto, Aonuma. And btw. It's Zelda for a home console. There will be always hype for it.....

overreacting? so expressing something that is as clear as day is now overreacting. very mature response.

you tell me, has nintendo's marketing strategy been any good? there will always be hype for a franchise within its fanbase, but outside that fanbase you need to market the game to get other gamers excited about it, and nintendo's efforts in that regared has been utter shit lately. 

There is so much pressure on this game, Nintendo knows it has to be something really special.