By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CBOAT strikes again: Says not to expect 1080p in Xbox One

ethomaz said:
J_Allard said:
Cool, a cboat thread. I wonder how cluttered the NeoGAF thread is with the decaying carcasses of anyone who dares question a guy who has been right and wrong plenty of times.

I guess we can bump this in 5 years to see if he is right since he is claiming 720-900p will be the norm on Xbone (even though a launch game is 1080p60 lulz).

He said most of games will be 720p to 900p with few exceptions... Forza is a exception for the launch.

And all the hardware specs showed by MS is inline with that... Xbone will have trouble with 1080p games... even for framebuffer the 32MB is not enough.

You can say PS4 will have trouble with 1080p games too but way less than Xbone.

I can read what he said and I typed what he said, thanks. 720-900p "the norm". Judging by some launch games. lol. You're missing the point of the Forza reference. I am saying if a launch game can hit 1080p60 and look as great as Forza, any talk about how the console will have trouble hitting 1080p down the line and over its life time when developers get more used to it and learn tricks, is just idiocy imho.

You have no idea what the devs will be capable of based on the hardware no matter what GAF tells you, so please save it.

Judging by the launch games, both consoles seem to have tons of trouble with 1080p. But again, it's launch. Who cares. I do love how games like Ryse though, looked incredible until NeoGAF found out it's actually "only" 900p, now it looks like dog shit. I wish I were as fickle as some gamers.

Around the Network

Legend11 said:

At least we didn't have to wait 5 years to see that he was wrong with the claim that the GPU was being downclocked when in reality it was being upclocked. People have to ask themselves though if this is one of those times that he is pulling shit out of his ass like his PS4 launching in late October prediction for absolutely no good reason.

How he can be wrong if he never said that o.O

J_Allard said:

I can read what he said and I typed what he said, thanks. 720-900p "the norm". Judging by some launch games. lol

You have no idea what the devs will be capable of based on the hardware no matter what GAF tells you, so please save it.

Judging by the launch games, both consoles seem to have tons of trouble with 1080p. But again, it's launch. Who cares. I do love how games like Ryse though, looked incredible until NeoGAF found out it's actually "only" 900p, now it looks like dog shit. I wish I were as fickle as some gamers.

Ryse was 1080p before... pixel count in the video at E3 showed that... they downgraded both resolution and character details.

Well all launch games for PS4 are 1080p... so I can't see that trouble and they are launch games like you said... MS machine is weak to hold 1080p and devs will choose always lower resolutions.

The only direct feed video from Froza shows what Turn 10 is sacrificing to hold 1080p.

fatslob-:O said:
What exactly is the difference ? 

I showed you a counter example to your statement about diminishing returns and you give me "30fps is good enough." -_- (epic fail) 

Actually, your counter example is the epic fail becuase FPS also has diminishing returns. We don't see it yet because they human eye can distinguish between 30 FPS and 60 FPS. Between 60 FPS and 120 FPS even less so, and anything beyond 120 FPS you will never see a difference even if it's 1000 FPS.

His point is that most people are already at the point of diminishing returns in regards to resolution based on their TV size. You're comparing apples to oranges, and even so you gave an example of something else that is affected by diminishing returns. 

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Neither PS4 nor Xbox One will have a native 1080p baseline.
We went through the same thing back in 2006 with the PS3; in the end, many developers will choose to sacrifice resolution for better effects, materials, textures, etc.
This is why many 360/PS3 games weren't even 720p native. In fact, many high profile games like COD, Crysis 2, Halo 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake, and the PS3 versions of GTA4 and Bioshock weren't.
Many gamers won't even notice the difference between 720p and 1080p, much less 900p and 1080p. So devs will spend the power on things they will notice instead, or just not spend the extra time and money to optimize for 1080p.

These next gen consoles clearly have way more bandwidth and pixel output at their disposal compared to the PS360U so there is no excuse for why they can't have 1080p and that especially goes for the PS4.

So true, just because some developers were lazy in their ports or does not mean that as consumers we shouldn't expect more. 

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

J_Allard said:

I can read what he said and I typed what he said, thanks. 720-900p "the norm". Judging by some launch games. lol

Ryse was 1080p before... pixel count in the video at E3 showed that... they downgraded both resolution and character details.

It's adorable how you will change your argument to suit the need. You have plenty of times said Digital Foundry was lying and have "no credibility left" because they said Ryse was 1080p at E3 (which was info they got from Crytek staff), but now you're making the claim yourself. So I guess in your own way you are confirming you have no credibility. Also, the newest Ryse build actually looks better and more detailed than the previous build. But I don't know why I need to tell someone with no credibility that, or why I would continue to engage them. So toodles.

J_Allard said:

It's adorable how you will change your argument to suit the need. You have plenty of times said Digital Foundry was lying and have "no credibility left" because they said Ryse was 1080p at E3 (which was info they got from Crytek staff), but now you're making the claim yourself. So I guess in your own way you are confirming you have no credibility. Also, the newest Ryse build actually looks better and more detailed than the previous build. But I don't know why I need to tell someone with no credibility that, or why I would continue to engage them. So toodles.

lol DF was wrong about KI... Ryse they were told by Crytek that the game was running in 1080p... to be fair no game was really runnin at real Xbone at E3... even Forza was downgraded from what showed at E3.

But it is fine the games will show who is right and who is wrong... maybe after that you will start to give some chances to people that knows what they are talking about.

Or you still wait the secret dGPU, secret magical units, secret sauce, secret games to be showed... the NDA was delayed to January.

Dat crazyness in this thread. CBOAT brings the worst of some people out.

From all three sides.

Why do people even care what the native resolution is? Both systems upconvert and it is almost impossible to tell the difference between a native resolution and a upscaled resolution.

I love CBOAT threads.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!