By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HW UP! Global SW UP! 5th October 2013

Good numbers for WiiU.

Around the Network

Gratulations WiiU. I really could not see wind waker move this amout of software and hardware.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Wow, Wii U has almost decent numbers! Zelda did almost a miracle. Good 3DS, PS3 and XB360, despite the WoW drop. Good old PSP too. Wii and DS not worthy of their past glory. And...
...POOR PSV!!! =8-O

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Gehirnkrampf said:
Gratulations WiiU. I really could not see wind waker move this amout of software and hardware.

but... 60k for Vita in Japan alone is low and you saw that all the way..... okay then

Max King of the Wild said:
Gehirnkrampf said:

but... 60k for Vita in Japan alone is low and you saw that all the way..... okay then

not going to answer to this since you really won't try to understand.

Around the Network
Gehirnkrampf said:
Gehirnkrampf said:

I understand perfectly that for some reason you have some double standard here. Now, I'm not saying your biased (far from it). I'm just saying you aren't really thinking rationally when it comes to the vita.

Gehirnkrampf said:
Gehirnkrampf said:

I understand perfectly that for some reason you have some double standard here. Now, I'm not saying your biased (far from it). I'm just saying you aren't really thinking rationally when it comes to the vita.

ww managed to sell a high amount of software (rerelease) considering the install base. and i say gratulations.

vita collected sales, managing 60k after a massive drop to 3.5k for several weeks. and i say ok.

i am perfectly rational.

Can't wait to see what will do Beyond Two Souls.

Gehirnkrampf said:
Gehirnkrampf said:
Gehirnkrampf said:

ww managed to sell a high amount of software (rerelease) considering the install base. and i say gratulations.

vita collected sales, managing 60k after a massive drop to 3.5k for several weeks. and i say ok.

i am perfectly rational.

Exactly, irrational and double standards. You might have expected more from Vita but it doesn't take away the fact that going frrom 3.5k to 60k is mighty impressive. Having a price reduction and going from 25k to 83k... not as much... yet the one thats less impressive is the one you are more impressed with. Makes no sense

Shadow1980 said:

To those comparing the PS3 to the Wii, let's try to put things in their proper context. While it is trued that the 83,500 units the Wii U shifted this week are still short of what the PS3's pre-GTA summer numbers (typically in the 100-120k per week range), you can't really compare this year's PS3 sales to this year's Wii U sales. While the PS3 is in decline, it is still doing very well, especially for a system of its age, and it has continued to get strong software support. It didn't even peak until 2011, a full five years after launch, which is a very late peak for a system (most peak after 2-3 years). A more accurate comparison would be to align their launches, or in other words, to compare the Wii U's sales to what the PS3 was selling in 2007, and even then we need to take a look at all the possible factors than can affect sales, such as price, brand strength, when a system comes out relative to its competitors, how well its competitors are performing, marketing, and software support.

Prior to its first ever price cut in July of that year, the PS3 had sold about 2.6 million for the year, and some 600k of those were from the European launch in March. Less than a month after the European launch, global sales had dropped to sub-100k levels, and was selling on the order of only 60k units a week in June. By the end of June, the PS3 had sold over 3.8 million LTD (the Wii U was at over 3.3 million by the end of this past June). Sales started to improve somewhat after the price cut, and by the end of September it had edged past the 5 million mark (the Wii U is at nearly 3.7 million). Now, I know some people might say "Well, the PS3 still averaged better throughout 2007 than the Wii U has this year, and it cost a lot more," and while technically correct, it doesn't take into account the big picture. Again, context is important. Why did the PS3 and Wii U perform the way they did? Why did the PS3 still manage to do better on average through the first three quarters of 2007 than the Wii U has so far this year despite a higher price point? Why did the Wii U lose so much momentum after such a strong launch (~2.2 million by Dec. 31)? How do sales in various regions for both systems compare? What were their game libraries like? What about marketing? I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty about generational dynamics and how they affect sales right at this moment, but long story short I think the Wii U's biggest problem was the near total lack of games that people buy Nintendo systems in order to play. NSMBU and Nintendo land just weren't enough to sustain momentum, yet they were the only major exclusives for the first 8 months of the system's life, and as a consequence sales plummetted.

Now that it's finally getting some games, it's possible that the Wii U could recuperate. The past week is a postive sign that this is possible. WWHD is only the beginning. Sonic and Wii Party U are coming later this month, and we know that Sonic still sells decently, and Wii Party sold over 8 million copies. A week before Black Friday we're getting Super Mario 3D World. If it can push another 3 million in November & December, that could push it close to 7 million LTD, or about a million behind where the 360 was, which isn't bad considering how dreary the first three quarters of 2013 have been as a whole. How well it can do in the long term depends on how good the software support continues to be. For 2014, we have DKC and Mario Kart 8 coming early in the year and a new Smash Bros. later on, which if their predecessors are any indication are sure to be very popular, and there's sure to be other announcements at E3 if not before at GDC, PAX East, or in random Nintendo Directs. I personally think the Wii U will have far outpaced the GameCube by time everything is all said and done, because the conditions that led to the GC selling what it did don't exist now (remember, context is important; not even the GC existed in a vacuum). I think the most likely outcome will be that the Wii U tracks on average at around 40% of Wii levels, thus putting it at 40 million by 2019. Worst-case scenario, it gets to around N64 numbers; best-case, around SNES numbers.

Ur my favorite poster on here, u say everything I think but in a more proffesional and thought out way

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.