By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - tired of the Live vs. PS+ debate!!

Zekkyou said:
JayWood2010 said:
Zekkyou said:

Well if you could give me an easier way to type out PS3 or PS4 that would much appreciated. I've considered just typing ps3/ps4 but they feel odd somehow (same reason i always start Xbone with an X not an x). I can live with PS3, the 3 still works on the top number bar, but alas the 4 has met the same doom as the 1. Just because something is a certain way for one thing, does not mean it should dictate everything around it. If walking to one shop takes 20 seconds longer than another, doesn't mean i'm going to walk 20 seconds slower to the other.

Honestly the amount of people getting upset over this is absurd. It does help me know who are pettier than others i suppose P:

Not upset, just pointing out that your reason is kind of crap.

Never said you were upset ^^ Just petty.

I suppose i could use Xone, but i feel the need to use Xbone now purely for the amusement.

And there is the real reason ;D Wouldve been nice for you and other people to be honest about it at least.

Around the Network
Cj2i3 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cj2i3 said:
"One's a rental service ones a gaming service"
That gave me a big laugh. Both are rental services, one service you rent games for 50 dollars a year and the other you rent multiplayer and party chat for 60 dollars a year.
With that said I don't really like either service, but I especially dislike PS+ and now Sony wants to force me to pay for that nonsense if I want to play online.
But don't be confused here, both are clearly rental services once you stop paying for either of them you lose numerous features.

We all knew the profit Xbox Live was making was going to force Sony to eventually cave. Thankfully they left the rest of PSN free. 

Won't argue there, and if Sony significantly improves the PSN experience I won't complain one bit. But the fact I can't even access Netflix without an XBL gold subscription is an absolute joke.

Yep, DVR Features, alternative subsciptions, free streaming media,  all chat functions and more are still free. I knew Sony would cave but thankfully it was only for multiplayer. I was mad at first but then I realized no one can turn down pure profit. Even Michael Pachter said Xbox Live broke even early on in its lifetime for the investment, which means MS is making hand over fist off of it. If you were bleeding internally and had to watch your competition make profit on online where everywhere else its free of cours its going to influence the market of the market it applies to if it brings more money to the industry and people comply in a popular way.

JayWood2010 said:
Zekkyou said:

Never said you were upset ^^ Just petty.

I suppose i could use Xone, but i feel the need to use Xbone now purely for the amusement.

And there is the real reason ;D Wouldve been nice for you and other people to be honest about it at least.

No that's the reason proceeding this thread ^^ Not prior.

Nem said:

What you are saying OP, is not correct. Why? Because you are comparing the wrong things. 

On 360 and PS3, the service offered by Microsoft at a fee is offered for free by Sony with PSN (you can communicate with friends aswell. I use Skype on my Vita for it and its quite confortable and i believe theres a party app just for PSN on it wich i never bothered with cause we dont have mics on the PS3). 

So yeah... microsoft has nothing on that. 

The "rental" service as you put it, wich is PS+ doesnt have an equivalent on the microsoft side (even though they started doing it with really old titles aswell). The quality of the offered titles is clearly on a different level.

So in review: Theres an acess service wich is free on PSN and a fee on Xbox live and theres a rental component on PSN that is clearly superior (for a fee) to the rental component that microsoft attached to their acess fee.

Its beyond clear why the article says PSN+ service is clearly a better pack than the Xbox live gold service.

On X1 and PS4 they are essentially very similar services.

Also to make this completely obvious, by definition a competitor is a company that fights with yours for the same customers with the same type of products. The products are comparable and aimed at the same customer. The rental component is the clear connecting link right there, but the unspoken acess service is also a clear component you cant ignore. The acess component is an aspect of PSN+ just like the demos you get for free with silver are a component of Xbox live gold aswell. Actually lets just go ahead and say these are gaming services, because thats the purpose they both serve. They give you acess to multiplayer gaming experiences. On top of that, they offer the rental experiences and other goodies like demo's. You cant definine the services by the rental compenent alone but i am trying to make the connection clear to you.

To make it completely clear to you imagine 2 pizza delivery services. One delivers you a pizza for free and charges you for garlic bread if you want it, the other asks you to pay for both of them it if you want anything. Do you think these services arent competitors? Of course they are, they are still offering Pizza's and garlic bread to the same consumers.

yeah Nem, I'm aware that comparing the two is wrong. that's the point of the thread. Do you even take the time to read things through.

It's already beaten to death. I'm curious as to what PSN+ will offer on the PS4 outside of Drive Club Lite and the one indie game a month. I think MS could match that if they really tried. So far I've only heard of more free to play titles in the works, but the PS4 has a lot of that. MS can easily win if they tried harder for content.

What I did enjoy out of the Games with Gold promotion is the games are yours to *KEEP* no questions asked. Stop paying for Gold? Fine. All those games were yours to keep, and can be re-downloaded from Live anytime.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
It's already beaten to death. I'm curious as to what PSN+ will offer on the PS4 outside of Drive Club Lite and the one indie game a month. I think MS could match that if they really tried. So far I've only heard of more free to play titles in the works, but the PS4 has a lot of that. MS can easily win if they tried harder for content.

What I did enjoy out of the Games with Gold promotion is the games are yours to *KEEP* no questions asked. Stop paying for Gold? Fine. All those games were yours to keep, and can be re-downloaded from Live anytime.

LOL as HD space gets larger the chances of people being able to hold all those games on their HD's is becoming harder and harder. I just downloaded Kingdoms of Amalur and Saints Row 3 which combined was like twenty GB alone. As long as games are still on PSN Plus they can be redownloaded at any time. Remember Sony has to make contracts with licenses with companies to make the temporarily playable games available. Personally I think its great marketing that they put out Saints Row 3 on PSN+ to prep people for Saints Row 4. This is why I prefer solid media over an HDD. HDD is secondary for me outside of saving for games and general media streaming. 

If you've paid any attention at all to PSN+ you already know that there will be games available in time. Gaikai should make PS3 games more readily available as well. PSN+ will have to regrow their library again opposed to the PS3 which has a set library of games from first, second and third party that are playable. PSN+ was born four years after the PS3 launched so a library was alreadyd amassed making it easier to license third party titles. The hardest time to license games is when they release why is why rental services are bound to have a hard time in the future.

Sevengen said:
Nem said:

What you are saying OP, is not correct. Why? Because you are comparing the wrong things. 

On 360 and PS3, the service offered by Microsoft at a fee is offered for free by Sony with PSN (you can communicate with friends aswell. I use Skype on my Vita for it and its quite confortable and i believe theres a party app just for PSN on it wich i never bothered with cause we dont have mics on the PS3). 

So yeah... microsoft has nothing on that. 

The "rental" service as you put it, wich is PS+ doesnt have an equivalent on the microsoft side (even though they started doing it with really old titles aswell). The quality of the offered titles is clearly on a different level.

So in review: Theres an acess service wich is free on PSN and a fee on Xbox live and theres a rental component on PSN that is clearly superior (for a fee) to the rental component that microsoft attached to their acess fee.

Its beyond clear why the article says PSN+ service is clearly a better pack than the Xbox live gold service.

On X1 and PS4 they are essentially very similar services.

Also to make this completely obvious, by definition a competitor is a company that fights with yours for the same customers with the same type of products. The products are comparable and aimed at the same customer. The rental component is the clear connecting link right there, but the unspoken acess service is also a clear component you cant ignore. The acess component is an aspect of PSN+ just like the demos you get for free with silver are a component of Xbox live gold aswell. Actually lets just go ahead and say these are gaming services, because thats the purpose they both serve. They give you acess to multiplayer gaming experiences. On top of that, they offer the rental experiences and other goodies like demo's. You cant definine the services by the rental compenent alone but i am trying to make the connection clear to you.

To make it completely clear to you imagine 2 pizza delivery services. One delivers you a pizza for free and charges you for garlic bread if you want it, the other asks you to pay for both of them it if you want anything. Do you think these services arent competitors? Of course they are, they are still offering Pizza's and garlic bread to the same consumers.

yeah Nem, I'm aware that comparing the two is wrong. that's the point of the thread. Do you even take the time to read things through.

I'm afraid thats not what i said, it was quite the opposite. I said you are comparing the wrong things, not that comparing both services is wrong. They are both comparable services. I gave you a clear example why they are competitors and why you are just looking at components instead of the full service to say they arent comparable services.

Both are online network services that give acess to multiplayer gaming and digital goods. You cant say that the "renting" component is separate from it and call it a different service as its impossible to acess one without the other. The PS+ service does not exist independent from PSN. Its all part of the Playstation network service.

Let me give you another example. When you contract a service internet provider. They have different packs that offer you different options. Say a pack offers free internet acess but charges you for your phone. Another company offers a pack with internet+phone for a fee. They are both still competing for the same costumers with the same type of product. They are competitiors. They are comparable.

I don't pay for Live, but I'm glad that people who do enjoy the value they get.

yeah im tired as well

psn+ is superior 

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Now that the PS4 and the XBONE are going to have paid online I don't care about either. Nintendo's online service is free but I don't care either. I prefer local multiplayer .

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"