By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Sega's new 120 gig system?

I would be nice if Sega would make a comeback. Anyway, anyone remember the "Nintendo Nexus" speculations? Didn't happen. 4 AMD processors. The fanboy who did the speculations don't know the cost of these processors, but i can assure you that it's much more than the 3 PPC processors in 360. And M$ is losing money with 3 RISC:s and 20GB HDD. So i don't think that Sega would make money with 4 CISC:s and 120GB HDD. Well it could, but the price would be too high for the markets.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

You've got to be kidding And article from 2005 predicting a sega console that was supposed to be released last year, and this is the only source for this story.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

If either Microsoft or Sony should drop out of market in 2009/10/11 (which is entirely possible given ever mounting losses) there would be room for new competitors. It could be Sega, why not, they've merged with Sammy which gives them deeper pockets, and you don't need quality to impress investors. Naturally, their system would flop.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

It's a hoax. I'm looking, though I can't find it yet, some video game site had a list of console hoaxes. It included Xboy, an Apple system, and the hoax that the Revolution was going to be a VR helmet. There were 2 from Sega I think. One was a handheld and the other was the Sega Phoenix which is what your link is referring to. I did find this story from may 3rd, 2004 showing how old this rumor is. http://play.tm/story/3480 Note it says the rumors started recently, what day was just over a month before then? This story is a mention of it from last December showing the rumor is still alive if on life support. http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2006/12/11/sega-unveils-the-box-a-new-console-no-just-a-game One last story, this one claims the Phoenix will utilize a 3,900 GB disc format (take that BluRay) with a 128MB/s transfer rate. http://gamersreports.com/news/928/sega-sammy-developing-new-console/ Look at all those technical specs again and ask yourself if a company of Sega's means could afford all that.

reverie said:
If either Microsoft or Sony should drop out of market in 2009/10/11 (which is entirely possible given ever mounting losses) there would be room for new competitors. It could be Sega, why not, they've merged with Sammy which gives them deeper pockets, and you don't need quality to impress investors. Naturally, their system would flop.

It's possible but not likely that either of them will drop out.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
What big franchises have they created since they left the console business?

Monkey Ball.

Sega doesn't have a niche anymore.  When Xbox was released, it basically absorbed all of Sega's hardcore fanbase... I think that was probably Microsoft's goal.  Sega could compete... enough people know the brand name who aren't so in-tune with the industry... but they would have to out-Wii the Wii.  They'd have to find something to set them apart that *isn't* motion control.  Which is hard simply in the concept stage, let alone execution.

In short, I'd love to see Sega making hardware again, but if they ever do in the near future (I'm calling this the next 10 years), it will probably have to be a co-op with another company.

What if Sega, Namco, and Konami teamed up to make the best damn console ever?  They'd suddenly secure most of the best games of the generation as exclusives, and they could call themselves "S.N.K.," thereby confusing old-school pizza parlor gamers.  It would be great!

It was a pipe dream... Here

and here... Good old jokes

Finally... More wishful thinking

Oh and production stop of Dreamcast media Media

Right...that's my bit.

*Kills Thread

Good to see this site is still going 

Why would sega waste their time on another failure of a console?

stof said:

I think it's safe to say Sega will never get back into the console arena. 

The experts at IBM thought it was safe to say that there would never be a need to own a personal computer too.

Edit:  Dang, super old!

^^

Wow were they wrong!!