By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Controller Demonstration Video

EEEEWWWWW.

That looks ok for a strategy game. Looks horrible for almost all other genres.

I cant judge till I use it, but my thoughts at first aren't great. Would like to read some reviews on this.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
That thing looks awkward as hell to use.. Good thing I don't care about Steam.

About your sig: somebody should tell Malstrom that "Carthago delenda est" was a catchphrase by Cato the Elder, not Cicero. Cicero actually was born 40 years after the destruction of Carthage.

About the controller: it seems an intelligent evolution of touchpads, but with devices different from the mouse I prefer to have a mechanical feedback, like with a stick (and when the mouse is the best control, so in most of the game I play, I use the mouse, period). It could be a valid option for control schemes mainly designed for the mouse, and not for a classic console controller, though. I really must try it before making up my mind about liking it or not, but I suspect it will be good for some games and genres and not so good for others.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I don't know, I'm not convinced. Still gives me the feeling of a laptop touchpad. I would really like to try it though, looks like the first logical and inteligent attempt at a crucial "revolutionary" change to the classic gamepad scheme in years.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Just bumping this for the people that missed it. I kinda thought the steam controller was something people really wanted to learn more about.

okr said:
Seems to work well with Civ V.

I didn't think so.  Looked painful to play without a mouse.

Around the Network

the trackpad is a bit different than I imagined... dont really like the repeated sliding motion, but I am still interested in trying it

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

This looks horrible. #steamboxwillfail

Looks great. Good to see a company trying to change things instead of going with the tried and tested Nintendo pad (Looking at you Sony And Microsoft). Haters only hate because it is better than anything their xbox or ps controllers can do. Give this thing 2 or 3 must buy games (which valve can easily do) and we will see a massive shift in the gaming arena for sure

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Now this is a controller that I'll be able to play FPS on. Anybody who says current Playstation/Xbox controller are as fast and accurate as a mouse movement is just kidding themselves. Just look at how quick and precise the movements are, you can't do that with joysticks.

Console gamers, go play a shooter on keyboard and mouse then come back and tell me how your current controllers are optimal again.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

selnor1983 said:
EEEEWWWWW.

That looks ok for a strategy game. Looks horrible for almost all other genres.

I cant judge till I use it, but my thoughts at first aren't great. Would like to read some reviews on this.

Shooters/ strategy you name it, this controller will be leagues ahead of xbox/ps controllers interms of precision and responsiveness. If you think the thumbsticks/joypads on current console controllers are better than mouse and keyboard input, then you've never tried PC gaming.  

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz