By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I played Oculus Rift! IMPRESSIONS

Tagged games:

Really full VR is the final step that all gaming has been building towards

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

does it work with anygame? also when you move your head in real life does that replicate looking with a mouse in a game?

thranx said:
does it work with anygame? also when you move your head in real life does that replicate looking with a mouse in a game?

"does it work with anygame? "

Nope. You have to check if it's compatible. Valve will ensure that most Steam games are, so there won't be a drought.

"also when you move your head in real life does that replicate looking with a mouse in a game?"

Depends what the devs want to do. Some games will have the mouse and head-tracking be completely independent. It's really the coolest thing, let me paint you a picture:

- Your cruising along in your favourite fps - your IN the game and you want to check to your right and you turn your head

- The camera turns at exactly the same speed as your head, i.e. it feels like your just looking at a different part of the game world

- On that canvas that's moving with your head you can point the mouse anywhere withing your vision you feel like and 

An alternative to this last option is that the mouse cursor stays in the middle and the gyros are just there for fun. In any case, it's awesome.

Dr.Grass said:
thranx said:

"does it work with anygame? "

Nope. You have to check if it's compatible. Valve will ensure that most Steam games are, so there won't be a drought.

"also when you move your head in real life does that replicate looking with a mouse in a game?"

Depends what the devs want to do. Some games will have the mouse and head-tracking be completely independent. It's really the coolest thing, let me paint you a picture:

- Your cruising along in your favourite fps - your IN the game and you want to check to your right and you turn your head

- The camera turns at exactly the same speed as your head, i.e. it feels like your just looking at a different part of the game world

- On that canvas that's moving with your head you can point the mouse anywhere withing your vision you feel like and 

An alternative to this last option is that the mouse cursor stays in the middle and the gyros are just there for fun. In any case, it's awesome.

sounds cool. I get most my games off steam, so i will have to check it out after release. if it gets good support sounds like fun.

the problem with the rift ofcourse is that you need a really good pc, as it renders in a resolution above 1080p to cope with the distortion of the lenses and the consumer version will require even more, yet you will still experience a small "fly screen" effect as even with the 1080p screen in the consumer version the pixeldensity is not high enough

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

the problem with the rift ofcourse is that you need a really good pc, as it renders in a resolution above 1080p to cope with the distortion of the lenses and the consumer version will require even more, yet you will still experience a small "fly screen" effect as even with the 1080p screen in the consumer version the pixeldensity is not high enough

"it renders in a resolution above 1080p to cope with the distortion of the lenses and the consumer version will require even more"

You are implying here that the (currrent) dev version is at 1080p and the retail version will be higher. Well that's false. The dev version is (well) below 1080p and the retail version will be 1080p. Not to mention that many would be playing at 720p also.

"the problem with the rift ofcourse is that you need a really good pc"

That's also false. Except if by "really good pc" you mean something over $300.

"you will still experience a small "fly screen" effect as even with the 1080p screen in the consumer version the pixeldensity is not high enough"

Where do you get this from? How is the pixeldensity not enough? And again, your wording is rather curious, because why mention that the screen in the consumer version hasn't a high enough pixel density when it'll have a higher pixel density than the dev version!? Makes no sense.

I have yet to meet a person who isnt impressed by the rift after trying it themself. And thats with the low res DEV Kit and the Screendoor, Its definetly a game changer for me. It will change the way we game forever and allow experiences which are not even existing right now.

The Oculus intensifies gaming 10 fold. And tbh games got stale for me before the rift now its interesting again.

Dr.Grass said:
Lafiel said:

"it renders in a resolution above 1080p to cope with the distortion of the lenses and the consumer version will require even more"

You are implying here that the (currrent) dev version is at 1080p and the retail version will be higher. Well that's false. The dev version is (well) below 1080p and the retail version will be 1080p. Not to mention that many would be playing at 720p also.

"the problem with the rift ofcourse is that you need a really good pc"

That's also false. Except if by "really good pc" you mean something over $300.

"you will still experience a small "fly screen" effect as even with the 1080p screen in the consumer version the pixeldensity is not high enough"

Where do you get this from? How is the pixeldensity not enough? And again, your wording is rather curious, because why mention that the screen in the consumer version hasn't a high enough pixel density when it'll have a higher pixel density than the dev version!? Makes no sense.

The dev version uses a 1280x800(~720p) screen, but the PC needs to render the games at a higher resolution than that (afaik it's 2048x1024) to make up for distortions going on especially in your peripheral vision.

Ofcourse with the 1080p screen in the consumer version that rendering resolution needs to increase aswell. I wasn't implying anything, I was using the correct terminology "rendering resolution" as opposed to "display resolution".

And for most indie games a mid budget pc might be good enough, but aliasing and screen tearing are much more apparant and annoying/immersion breaking when playing a game with a VR, so you really want a pc that can handle the games you want to play at 60fps vsync with high aa. For people that are into graphically very advanced titles that means a big investment into a more than decent rig (or playing at low settings).

As for the pixel density, your eyes are extremely close to the screen in a VR device and additionally the rift uses lenses to cover most of your field of view with that screen, so your eye is able to resolve the individual pixels of a 720p and even a 1080p screen (just like when you are sitting really close to a huge TV). To make the eye/brain only see the picture and not the pixels the pixel density and hence the display resolution needs to increase even further.

If you are totally immersed into the game you won't notice it much even with the dev version of the rift, but to some people this can be a major disappointment as it is not really like looking at the world with your own eyes but like watching it through an insect/fly screen like I mentioned before.

Btw, why do you sound so pissed? I only mentioned that it's not perfect yet and that you do need to invest into more than just the rift to have the best experience.

Netyaroze said:

I have yet to meet a person who isnt impressed by the rift after trying it themself. And thats with the low res DEV Kit and the Screendoor, Its definetly a game changer for me. It will change the way we game forever and allow experiences which are not even existing right now.

The Oculus intensifies gaming 10 fold. And tbh games got stale for me before the rift now its interesting again.

100% my experience also.

Lafiel said:
The dev version uses a 1280x800(~720p) screen, but the PC needs to render the games at a higher resolution than that (afaik it's 2048x1024) to make up for distortions going on especially in your peripheral vision.

Ofcourse with the 1080p screen in the consumer version that rendering resolution needs to increase aswell. I wasn't implying anything, I was using the correct terminology "rendering resolution" as opposed to "display resolution".

And for most indie games a mid budget pc might be good enough, but aliasing and screen tearing are much more apparant and annoying/immersion breaking when playing a game with a VR, so you really want a pc that can handle the games you want to play at 60fps vsync with high aa. For people that are into graphically very advanced titles that means a big investment into a more than decent rig (or playing at low settings).

As for the pixel density, your eyes are extremely close to the screen in a VR device and additionally the rift uses lenses to cover most of your field of view with that screen, so your eye is able to resolve the individual pixels of a 720p and even a 1080p screen (just like when you are sitting really close to a huge TV). To make the eye/brain only see the picture and not the pixels the pixel density and hence the display resolution needs to increase even further.

If you are totally immersed into the game you won't notice it much even with the dev version of the rift, but to some people this can be a major disappointment as it is not really like looking at the world with your own eyes but like watching it through an insect/fly screen like I mentioned before.

Btw, why do you sound so pissed? I only mentioned that it's not perfect yet and that you do need to invest into more than just the rift to have the best experience.

I don't think anyone was expecting retina-level pixel density on a VR headset!? Neither are people really expecting to blast Battlefield 4 on full either.

The pc needs to render 2 screens, that's all.

"Btw, why do you sound so pissed? I only mentioned that it's not perfect yet and that you do need to invest into more than just the rift to have the best experience."

The first airplanes weren't exactly jet fighters.