By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I played Oculus Rift! IMPRESSIONS

Tagged games:

I completely forgot to mention this on here! My friend got a HUGE (no seriously) pay increase and bought an Oculus (dev version), 2 x GForce Titans (yowzers) and a VW Sciroco (the newest one. And apparantly it's the fancy "R" or something. God that car drives fast). Here's him letting my lady friend play his toy in our flat. 

So, my impressions:

- This is the biggest revolution I've personally experienced in gaming. I played Battlefield and Portal. I was excited like a little kid. A DEFINITE game changer in my opinion. You literally feel like you are inside the game.

- The gyros work amazingly and the movement is much, much more intuitive than I thought it would be.

- The resolution on the dev version is rather low. Despite seeing pixels though, I'd take that over full HD any day. ANY DAY.

- One of my friends got sick a bit after playing 20mins. I had no such problems.

I HIGHLY encourage anyone to try one out if possible. I wouldn't buy the dev version though, except if you have wads of cash lying around, because (as mentioned) the resolution is quite low and the price quite high. If you like fancy shit, then DO IT.

Mark my words, this will floor you.

Around the Network

fucking lucky you!! i believe VR will be the next big thing in gaming. i personally cant wait for it. i really really really hope sony are actually doing something like oculus right, as that will validate the interest in VR and help make VR bigger.

question: i wear galsses, can i still use this while wearing them?

bananaking21 said:
fucking lucky you!! i believe VR will be the next big thing in gaming. i personally cant wait for it. i really really really hope sony are actually doing something like oculus right, as that will validate the interest in VR and help make VR bigger.

Yeah! They fit inside!

I don't think Oculus Rift is the next big thing but it could be nice to try it out. I wonder how expensive it is.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
I don't think Oculus Rift is the next big thing but it could be nice to try it out. I wonder how expensive it is.

You haven't experienced it, so I'd tentatively suggest that you're in no position to say such things

And I actually mean VR gaming, not necessarily Oculus Rift.

The dev kit is $300. The retail version will be out next year and will be a little cheaper (and better).

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Anfebious said:

You haven't experienced it, so I'd tentatively suggest that you're in no position to say such things

And I actually mean VR gaming, not necessarily Oculus Rift.

The dev kit is $300. The retail version will be out next year and will be a little cheaper (and better).

Well yeah, I still need to try it out! But at the current price... I find it difficult xD.

Maybe if it is cheaper it could take off! We have to wait and see

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

bananaking21 said:

Sony have a VR headset in development. I'm certain it'll be (at least!) as good as the Oculus. That's going to be very interesting, because most Steam games will have Oculus support, so Sony might counter by making most PS4 games VR compatible as well.

"i believe VR will be the next big thing in gaming"

Do you know how it feels to cock your neck back and look up and then you can see the entire sky above you? It's just sensational! So yeah, I agree. Once people start playing this they'll realize that this is untouchable. 

Of course not everyone will game with VR (or even close to everyone). But there will be a *ahem* 'Master Race' who tout the supremacy of VR tech to the chagrin of everyone else.

Dr.Grass said:
bananaking21 said:

Yeah! They fit inside!

the funny thing is this thread would have been at 50+ posts already if this was made by nintendo, sony or ms. what VR can do is simply mind blowing, but hey if it aint from the big 3 who gives a shit?. if this were a thread about one of the big 3 making this you would have one fraction telling you how awesome VR is the other two saying its shit. 

I would love to use this and play Skyrim with a ton of mods.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

bananaking21 said:

the funny thing is this thread would have been at 50+ posts already if this was made by nintendo, sony or ms. what VR can do is simply mind blowing, but hey if it aint from the big 3 who gives a shit?. if this were a thread about one of the big 3 making this you would have one fraction telling you how awesome VR is the other two saying its shit. 

You know what's funnier? I used to be the same until I moved in with a buddy who's got steam installed on the pc in the living room and we're gaming on that mostly with Xbox controllers. It's just human nature to act like that when you're insecure. lol

Let me tell you in which department this type of behaviour is THE WORST.

The general dislike thrown in the direction of the Indies. These forum goers think Indie means crummy games made by one or two dudes in their spare time. They don't realise that many of these Indie devs are much bigger than what Naughty Dog, Square (or whoever) was just 15 years ago (or even less). These are guys that are absolute gamers that want nothing more than to make games (a quality we profess to value), and then risk an arm and a leg to fulfil their dream.

"but it's not AAA"

GTFO Joe gamer. You're actually just a casual gamer. Yeah, you heard me.

...anyways

All it'll take is for them to experience VR, gyro controlled headsets and that'll be game over.