By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do Brand name games get inflated scores based on hype?

Tagged games:

Do Brand name games get inflated scores?

Yes, all the time 65 50.00%

Yes, 1st party games in general 5 3.85%

Yes, exclusives in general 4 3.08%

Yes, Microsoft Exclusives in general 7 5.38%

Yes, Nintendo Exclusives in general 6 4.62%

Yes, Sony Exclusives in General 7 5.38%

Maybe, for some high volume games 20 15.38%

Not really, but it does happen 8 6.15%

No, every high rated game is just awesome 2 1.54%

See Results 5 3.85%

Total:129
kupomogli said:
Michael-5 said:
Mythmaker1 said:
To a degree, yes.

96 - Resident Evil 4
94 - Gears of War

I fu**ing loved these two games. Resident Evil 4 is by far the best Resident Evil, and I don't think any survival horror will ever match it.

Gears of War 1 was pretty awesome too, so melancholy. That Mad World commercial was just amazing.

Maybe highly rated score are good, just haters gonna hate?

You asked people to post games that they think are overrated and don't deserve the scores.

Resident Evil 4 isn't a survival horror.  It's a shooter, so saying no survival horror will match it really depends on what you're saying.  If you're saying no survival horror will match it as a shooter, then you're probably right, but if a survival horror game won't match it as a survival horror, then you're wrong. 

The thing is, Resident Evil 4 is only as highly praised as it is because it's a console shooter when the majority of console shooters were lackluster compared to PC shooters.  Last gen you weren't going to find a good shooter on consoles other than a few.  But I doubt the massive praise for Resident Evil 4 came from it being a poor mans shooter.  It came from being a good console shooter with some of the best graphics of last gen.  Graphics played a large role in this game being overhyped as much as it was.

Forget about graphics and think about just Resident Evil 4's shooting system.  Resident Evil 4 when aiming you were stuck to the ground.  No moving while you were aiming.  There was no straffing in the game regardless if you were aiming or not, the game was a shooter that used Resident Evil tank controls.  In order to switch weapons you had to open your menu.  All things that your average shooter would be slammed for if it had those problems.  The enemies in Resident Evil 4 also posed very little threat as they were slow brain dead morons.  You've got all this firepower and the enemies pretty much didn't even try. 

Let's compare it to another shooting game that got slammed.  Dirge of Cerberus had good graphics, but not quite as good as Resident Evil, included useless features, like the ability to jump, and being a Final Fantasy game, it wasn't an RPG.  All those played part in the game receiving low scores, while the actual gameplay was actually quite good.  In Dirge of Cerberus, it was an RPG shooter, but it still had all the makings of a good shooter.  Vincent could move, aim, and shoot all at the same time, he could switch weapons to one of three different custom set ups without opening a menu to make that change.  He wasn't limited on his movement by tank controls.  Additionally, the enemies fought back, shooting you, running up to you and attacking you, etc.  The game actually posed a challenge.

Now Resident Evil 4 was a decent shooter, and I'd probably rate it the same as I would Dirge of Cerberus, but not because Resident Evil 4 is the better game.  Dirge of Cerberus has better gameplay mechanics while Resident Evil 4 has better story and graphics.  Overall they'd probably come out the same when averaged together.  Not saying Dirge of Cerberus is on the level of a game like  Unreal Tournament or Uncharted when it comes to shooters, but it's better than Resident Evil 4, and again, gameplay only.

All the perfect 10s Resident Evil 4 got, it's like people that praise it just looked over the fact that it had massive flaws in its game design. 

Resident Evil 5 is a better game because you can play it with friends.  Same gameplay, a story that's just as crappy, and graphically it's better, but it's better with a friend.  Apparently it's not as good as Resident Evil 4, despite the fact that Resident Evil 5 fixes some of the problems that Resident Evil 4 has.  Not all the problems of course, but some.  Quick swapping weapons and ammo being more scarce were some welcome additions.  So yeah.  Very weird how Resident Evil 5 gets an 85 rating while Resident Evil 4 is over 10 points higher.  Although scores that neither deserve honestly.

I don't really consider RE4 to be a shooter. I mean it's not terrifying like Eternal Darkness or Silent Hill, but it's not really a shooter. I mean you can't even move while shooting, Metroid Prime is more of a shooter and people will argue that's a First Person Action game.

So if anything I would say RE4 is Survivor Horror/Action (and Action it is with all the quick time events, melee combat, and running away sequences).

Your whole comment focus's on RE4 being a shooter which I disagree with. Dirge of Cerberus was an okay game, it had a pretty thin plot I recall, and unlike RE4 it was a stright shooter, an average one too. That's why it got average scores, where RE4 scored well, RE4 forced players to crawl, and play the game differently then they would a shooter, and it just had an amazing environment, and yes high end graphics, which don't look terrible even now.

RE5 could have been a much better game if it weren't for the racism issues which forced you to have a black co-op partner for the entire game. It originally wasn't suppose to be a co-op game, if you look at original debut clips Chris was alone. It got an 85 because the AI in your partner was dumb, RE5 plays more like an action film then a survival horror game, and well the plot was just wasn't as good. Plus many synamic co-op scenes just felt out of place.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
ListerOfSmeg said:
Oh it happens. Just look at GTA4. I don't know how many but a few reviewers came back after the fact and said they regretted scoring it so high.
I am not sure how anyone can say Nintendo games though. They are judged harsher than any other company.
W101 for example. I read 3 different reviews that said the game would be AAA if it was on PS3 or 360 but because it was on Wii U it was docked points.

Where did you read that? Id like to read those reviews.

Sometimes it does.

Just look at GTA IV metacritic score.

Who knows. Probably they do, however, you can't go wrong using your own criteria, so I don't mind that a game gets overrated or underrated as long as I am able to play it and judge it.

Yes but not all. The ones i like are underrated. They should be at 100%.

Around the Network

In a way, you can say that almost all games have inflated scores. Compare them to the way that movies are rated and there's a pretty big difference on what score constitutes a good game and what constitutes average.

Yes.

Last of Us is a perfect example, it is great game, but it is not the second coming like so many have proclaimed. I was very hyped when i picked up my copy, finished it then said "meh"

The story in red dead redemption is better, yes i said it, come at me. Bitches.

At the end of the day it is still all about opinion. Just form your own then stand by it.

mii-gamer said:

The story in red dead redemption is better, yes i said it, come at me. Bitches.

Coming at you Jesse Pinkman. *runs with a shovel* The second coming is GTA5 though as the first coming is GTA4 by being first on that one meta site. 

As i said before. The only games that are overrated are the ones i don't like. 

Maybe, for some high volume games.

Thats what i picked in the poll

I would some game get huge score on name alone or are just way overhyped.

GTA IV did not deserve 8's nevermind perfect scores.
If GTAV plays like number 4, then that is inflated aswell.
Mario galaxy is inflated
Mass effect games are inflated
GeOW games are inflated in genreal
Nearly every single bioware/bethesda game is inflated

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I don't know about that. While I do think game scores in general are inflated (although I've noticed a recent move in the opposite direction), I'm not sure if they're inflated based on brand. I think it's only natural for critics to enjoy a title in a series that plays similarly to another highly-rated game in that series. For example, it makes sense that Modern Warfare 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Halo 3 all receive high scores -- they play like other games in the series that were critical darlings.