By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IDC Predicts Worldwide Game Console Shipments Will Be Up In 2013 with PS4 Outselling Xbox One This Holiday Season

Somini said:
landguy1 said:
Somini said:
landguy1 said:
I don't think too many people will argue that the PS4 will outsell the XB1 this holiday. The difference i would think is that it will be caused by hardware availability. I think both systems will essentially sell out through January. It seems pretty clear that Sony is way ahead of M$ as far as production goes.

Are you saying the Xbox One would outsell the PS4 if Microsoft could produce enough units and launch in as many countries as the PS4 will?

You're pretty consistent in your lack of comprehension and actually reading posts.    I clearly said that both systems will sell out through January.  It won't matter how many either produces.  So, if both had produced 3 million, then they both would have sold 3 million.  Did I ever say that the XB1 will outsell the PS4?  No, because both systems will be supply constrained.

What's your problem? I worded my question in a way so you wouldn't understand wrong, but it hasn't helped i see!

I was asking if you think MS could sell more consoles were supplies not a problem. In other words; SAY both companies succeed in producing, i don't know, 20 million units, which do you belive will sell more?

True, I was being overly defensive. 

If that somehow happened, the PS4 would probably sell 6-7 miilon to XB1's 5 million.  The price will have an impact much more come March when the casual buyers get into the mix.

Around the Network
landguy1 said:
Somini said:
landguy1 said:
Somini said:
landguy1 said:
I don't think too many people will argue that the PS4 will outsell the XB1 this holiday. The difference i would think is that it will be caused by hardware availability. I think both systems will essentially sell out through January. It seems pretty clear that Sony is way ahead of M$ as far as production goes.

Are you saying the Xbox One would outsell the PS4 if Microsoft could produce enough units and launch in as many countries as the PS4 will?

You're pretty consistent in your lack of comprehension and actually reading posts.    I clearly said that both systems will sell out through January.  It won't matter how many either produces.  So, if both had produced 3 million, then they both would have sold 3 million.  Did I ever say that the XB1 will outsell the PS4?  No, because both systems will be supply constrained.

What's your problem? I worded my question in a way so you wouldn't understand wrong, but it hasn't helped i see!

I was asking if you think MS could sell more consoles were supplies not a problem. In other words; SAY both companies succeed in producing, i don't know, 20 million units, which do you belive will sell more?

True, I was being overly defensive. 

If that somehow happened, the PS4 would probably sell 6-7 miilon to XB1's 5 million.  The price will have an impact much more come March when the casual buyers get into the mix.

No harm done man. I agree with your guess there.

I'm still wondering though what's REALLY behind this big demand, for both consoles? Is it because of the lackluster WiiU, is it because of the long life of this generation or has the gaming industry grown even more, despite contrary belive?

I'm betting it's a mix of multiple factors.

Somini said:

No harm done man. I agree with your guess there.

I'm still wondering though what's REALLY behind this big demand, for both consoles? Is it because of the lackluster WiiU, is it because of the long life of this generation or has the gaming industry grown even more, despite contrary belive?

I'm betting it's a mix of multiple factors.

Some of it is probably the extra long time since the last console launch.  And people thinking this gen will last a while too.

But you can see from @kowenicki

graph that the source is a bit bias in the same way Dolly Parton is a little bit country.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

People should not read too much into this since no one can make a proper prediction at this time. I am more worried that this generation will be more frontloaded and after that fall flat on its face.

kowenicki said:

IDC and Video Game forecasts.....

Lets be honest at this time its just a guess. A guess that every sane person would make.

Yes but to be fair IDC was talking about just 2013, this graph shows 2008-2012. It looks like they had 2008 on the ball but then goofed later on with 360 doing much better than last gen and PS brand losing lots of its fanbase to Xbox.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
A_C_E said:
kowenicki said:

IDC and Video Game forecasts.....

Lets be honest at this time its just a guess. A guess that every sane person would make.

Yes but to be fair IDC was talking about just 2013, this graph shows 2008-2012. It looks like they had 2008 on the ball but then goofed later on with 360 doing much better than last gen and PS brand losing lots of its fanbase to Xbox.

Its actually worse, as this prediction was made after a couple of years of PS3 and 360 sales an in full knowledge of the trends at the time.

Its a terrible, terrible prediction for its time (2008) based on data that was available to all.

The OP is a guess based on pretty much nothing.  A guess that we would all make to be fair, but a guess all the same.

Weird, goes to show how reliable these analytic firms are.