By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Just shut down the U.S Government already!

marley said:
outlawauron said:
Vetteman94 said:
Gamecube said:
Option- said:
Cannot understand what's so bad about an insurence as an European. Many people will be helped!!

Unspoken rule of american politics, "The title of the bill states the opposite", aka the bait and switch. It's called the "Affordable Care Act", if it's such a great thing why are unions, congressman, senators and POTUS exempt. If it's so affordable why are congressional staffers getting special subsidies. People are also displeased because we do not like being forced to buy things. This you must buy unless you renounce citizenship or die.

Except insurance premiums are going down. 

Mine sure as hell aren't. Gone over 20% year over year.

Yeah, and that must be because of Obamacare!  Perhaps we should wait until it's implemented before blaming it for increases in insurance premiums (which have been happening for decades).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/files/2012/09/kff11.png

When Obamacare was signed into law several years ago, insurance rates have gone up dramatically faster. Governement has never increased regulations and successfully driven prices down on anything. Take the ethanol mandate for example. It drove gas and prices higher, the exact opposite of what was promised.

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:

Shame shutting down the government doesn't end the war in Afghanistan or the drone killings in Pakistan. But seriously, this system needs to be changed. Constant deadlock in a country which is slowly falling apart is surely not a good thing. There is just much wrong with this "democracy". It's a shame the politicians don't lose any pay over this.

Vote the bums out. All of them.Time for voters to step up, vote your guy out. None of them really seem to respond to there voters anymore. From POTUS all the way down.

outlawauron said:
marley said:
outlawauron said:
Vetteman94 said:

Yeah, and that must be because of Obamacare!  Perhaps we should wait until it's implemented before blaming it for increases in insurance premiums (which have been happening for decades).

Congrats on doing a swell job of putting words in my mouth. He said premiums are going down, they aren't. That's a lie.

You may not have outright said it, but it sure seemed implied.  If it wasn't then I apologize.

Regardless, for a lot of people rates are going down (mostly those with existing health conditions).  State, locality, age and income also play a big part.  It's unfortunate if they aren't going down for you. 

well this has definitely affected the military unfortunately.
Im a Marine, i have to be careful what i say exactly, because much of my training was secret or confidential (2 different levels of security clearance). But my school that i was training at, literally shutdown yesterday, just 4 days away from graduation. Done, over. Cancelled! They ran out of money and shutdown. My class doesnt get to graduate. We have to go back to are normal squadrons. And Try to figure out a time to reschedule the training, and start from the very beginning.
it sucks!! i was less than 4 days from graduating, and now i have to restart the whole thing. im pissed about it.

killerzX said:
well this has definitely affected the military unfortunately.
Im a Marine, i have to be careful what i say exactly, because much of my training was secret or confidential (2 different levels of security clearance). But my school that i was training at, literally shutdown yesterday, just 4 days away from graduation. Done, over. Cancelled! They ran out of money and shutdown. My class doesnt get to graduate. We have to go back to are normal squadrons. And Try to figure out a time to reschedule the training, and start from the very beginning.
it sucks!! i was less than 4 days from graduating, and now i have to restart the whole thing. im pissed about it.

That's what I assumed was going to happen: when they meant active duty, they meant active duty, and the tertiary activities that support the active duty military (but are not a part of it) collapse.

Bad scene all around.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
spurgeonryan said:
He would rather have the country collapse than make concessions about his baby.

Considering the fact that you were referencing an article from Fox News, I guess it's pretty clear what you think the "truth" of this whole situation is.

Honestly, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're really off base. All the GOP is doing, or should I rather say, the dumbfuck "Tea Party" clowns in the House, is throwing a literally useless temper tantrum. "Shutting down the gov." will not end or delay "Obamacare". That was never ever going to be the case, so their threats are useless, and harmful only to the American people they're supposed to be representing. Congress in general is a fucking joke, but this "Tea Party" movement is the worst punchline of them all............so much so, that actual more "traditionalist" Republicans (IE the ones who are sane), are clearly getting sick of their bullshit. All this is going to do is harm the Republican Party and (finally) damage this silly "Tea Party" nonsense.

So good job for them then, right?

what do you suppose would be the best way for congress to stop the ppaca?

the2real4mafol said:

Shame shutting down the government doesn't end the war in Afghanistan or the drone killings in Pakistan. But seriously, this system needs to be changed. Constant deadlock in a country which is slowly falling apart is surely not a good thing. There is just much wrong with this "democracy". It's a shame the politicians don't lose any pay over this.

Imo it's a really good thing.  Our govermnent is working pretty much the way it's supposed to.  Without grease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzX2R_93CAw

How we arrived at this moment in time:
1.) The House passes a Revenue Bill, H.R. 3590, a bill regarding housing tax breaks for service members.
2.) Senate removes all of the language of H.R. 3590 and inserts the Afordable Care Act language. The bill then passed by a vote of 60–39 on December 24, 2009. Includes mandate that Obama claims a penalty, not a tax.
3.) Supreme Court then declares the 'Penalty' as a 'Tax'. Keep in mind: Article 1, Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution: "All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.
4.) House Republicans move to defund Obamacare - Senate Democrats refuse to make deal to fund government.
5.) Government Shuts down. Obamacare implementation begins.

marley said:
outlawauron said:
marley said:

Congrats on doing a swell job of putting words in my mouth. He said premiums are going down, they aren't. That's a lie.

You may not have outright said it, but it sure seemed implied.  If it wasn't then I apologize.

Regardless, for a lot of people rates are going down (mostly those with existing health conditions).  State, locality, age and income also play a big part.  It's unfortunate if they aren't going down for you. 

It sucks to be a healthy person in their 20s then. Paying over a grand for my wife and I.

I do live in an extremely unhealthy state though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

marley said:
outlawauron said:
marley said:
outlawauron said:
Vetteman94 said:

However, It is also worth noting that the percentage increase of healthcare premiums started to go down back in 05-06 before Obamacare started.  If premium rates increase at a higher percentage then last couple years... it does raise questions and suggest that it might have increased rates on average.