By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Just shut down the U.S Government already!

You know shutdowns cost money and disrupt millions of lives, right? We don't save any money here. At best we'll break even like we did in the last shutdown.

What we SHOULD do is pass the damn continuing resolution and go into conference committee NOW to solve the rest of the budget when the CR ends in December.

Democrats won't, and shouldn't, give any portion of Obamacare. If Republicans want to repeal it, they need to win in both Houses and the presidency, like the Democrats did before they passed it. Enough with governing by hostage taking and blackmail. The country chose Obamacare when they re-elected Obama, two more Democratic senators, and cast a million more votes for Democratic house candidates. It's law, and until Republicans win any election it will remain law.

Kasz216 said:

It lasted for 3 freakin months.

28 days, actually. But yeah, I've never heard of a shutdown doing much to hurt the economy in the long run. The stock market seems to think so, though. God, my stocks are going to TANK tomorrow....:(

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
He would rather have the country collapse than make concessions about his baby.

Considering the fact that you were referencing an article from Fox News, I guess it's pretty clear what you think the "truth" of this whole situation is.

Honestly, I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're really off base. All the GOP is doing, or should I rather say, the dumbfuck "Tea Party" clowns in the House, is throwing a literally useless temper tantrum. "Shutting down the gov." will not end or delay "Obamacare". That was never ever going to be the case, so their threats are useless, and harmful only to the American people they're supposed to be representing. Congress in general is a fucking joke, but this "Tea Party" movement is the worst punchline of them all............so much so, that actual more "traditionalist" Republicans (IE the ones who are sane), are clearly getting sick of their bullshit. All this is going to do is harm the Republican Party and (finally) damage this silly "Tea Party" nonsense.

So good job for them then, right?

Stalling the shitty healthcare act is the best thing that can be done. It has done nothing but hurt friends and family I know, hours have been cut for many to part time jobs and lost all benefits sicne they are part time now.

The party of "the people" gave breaks to big business and buddies but not the poor slubs working. HEll they even are fighting so they dont have to have the same shitty care us peons are Mandated to have. I for one will not comply. The Healthcare Nazies will have to come for me.

Cannot understand what's so bad about an insurence as an European. Many people will be helped!!

Option- said:
Cannot understand what's so bad about an insurence as an European. Many people will be helped!!

The fact that many people actually wouldn't be helped.  Just a few, at the cost of others and at the cost of medical innovation.  I'll be for universal healthcare when Europeon governments and companies start funding healthcare research like the US government and companies.

US share of biotechnological research has been as high as 80% of the worlds in recent years.  If the US adopts such a system, even europes healthcare will get worse.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Why should he have to make concessions about a law that has already passed through congress years ago, has survived MANY repeal attempts, and was held up by the SCOTUS?  It is wrong for the Republicans to hold the countries funding hostage by attaching it to the healthcare act.  They created this situation.  It's extortion and it's going to hurt a lot of regular people.

marley said:
spurgeonryan said:

Why should he have to make concessions about a law that has already passed through congress years ago, has survived MANY repeal attempts, and was held up by the SCOTUS?  It is wrong for the Republicans to hold the countries funding hostage by attaching it to the healthcare act.  They created this situation.  It's extortion and it's going to hurt a lot of regular people.

Its wrong to hold a gun to my head telling to buy health insurence.

Kasz216 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Obama-care isn't the actual name of the health plan. I just hope they resolve this quickly, if they shutdown for a few days then no big deal but if it goes on for lets say 3 weeks then it will start to hurt our economy etc....

It may as well be.  That's the term Obama uses half the time as well.

As for hurting our Economy.  People forget this happened under Clinton... mostly because it didn't really have much of an effect.

It lasted for 3 freakin months.

The economic Stimulus is being run through the Federal Reserve, which while being a federal institution, it actually makes a profit and pays for itself. (and gives a bunch of excess money to the government).

So that's not at risk.

Have to remember that the last shutdown occurred against the 90s boom, however, while now we're in a very G-dependent protracted recovery. I do doubt it'll do too much damage overall, but certainly worse than last time (though at the same time, the number of essential positions has increased due to the advent of DHS and how military pay is now a third rail)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Option- said:

Unspoken rule of american politics, "The title of the bill states the opposite", aka the bait and switch. It's called the "Affordable Care Act", if it's such a great thing why are unions, congressman, senators and POTUS exempt. If it's so affordable why are congressional staffers getting special subsidies. People are also displeased because we do not like being forced to buy things. This you must buy unless you renounce citizenship or die.

LiquorandGunFun said:
marley said:
spurgeonryan said:

Its wrong to hold a gun to my head telling to buy health insurence.

No one is doing that,  you can opt out if you want to