By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So I bought The Last of Us....

Max King of the Wild said:
Also, your problem was playing the game on Normal. On hard you get a lot less items and its a lot more intense. I don't understand your criticism either... Stale? Really? Its like no other game Ive played. If you find it stale within 8hours of playing maybe you have ADD. And unlikeable? Whats so unlikeable about them?

Dude. Relax.

On Topic: The pace definitely picks up after the halfway mark.  There are also a lot more "set piece" moments in the second half, but I won't go into it, because you know, spoilers.

I can agree with the weird AI at some points.  I tried to play the whole game through stealthily so there were times where Ellie/Henry/etc.  would literally bump into an enemy, and both would pretend nothing had happened.  I think that was a necesary evil to make the game not super frustrating though.  

Story wise I thought it was well done, my thoughts on the ending: meh :l

Overall: I loved it :)

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
Kantor said:
It's not flawless, because no game is. It is, however, my 8th favourite game of the generation, and my favourite PS3 exclusive.

To respond to your points:

-I thought the characters were all brilliant. Together with the storyline, they are the game's strong point, to such a degree that I would call everything related to the plot pretty much flawless. What didn't you like about them?

-It's not a stealth game, and it took me a while to figure this out. Yes, stealth is an important element of the gameplay, but if you're just sneaking around and choking from behind, there's no fun in it at all. You get the other tools for a reason, and though you should try to conserve, stockpiling them to the degree that you get to new supplies and can't even carry them (as I did early on in the campaign) is just wasteful and ruins the fun.

-The friendly AI is pretty awful, yes. But I'm glad they decided to make your allies invisible to the infected, or the game would be positively infuriating.

I think the game's quality is very much related to its atmosphere. It looks brilliant; the soundtrack is excellent; you genuinely do feel afraid at times, and you're always worried about what's around the next corner. There aren't many games that I've found so engrossing. And the action, once you get a little way into the story (certainly less than half) is great too.

But even the best games won't be enjoyed by everyone. I can't stand Half-Life 2, Dead Space, Ninja Gaiden or Minecraft, and those were all extremely well received by most people. It's a shame you're not enjoying it more, but stick with it, just to see the story through if nothing else.

I know it's mostly a stealth game, but to me, combining stealth elements of metal gear and over the top cinematic elements of uncharted just doesn't mix well.

Also, having friendly AI be in no danger sets no challege or purpose for Ellie being there. It should have been like In Resident Evil 4, where you protect Ashley from danger by killing enemies swarming her or locking her in a dumpster until it's all clear.

I regret making this my username, I made this name when I was 13 years old

Life could always get worse, you could be a mod for Neogaf

zzyoshiman said:

Also, having friendly AI be in no danger sets no challege or purpose for Ellie being there. It should have been like In Resident Evil 4, where you protect Ashley from danger by killing enemies swarming her or locking her in a dumpster until it's all clear.

That happens.  If your friendlies get swarmed by infected they get a health meter over their head and you have to save them before they die.  It is game over if they die.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Haven't played it yet but I saw all the cut scenes over a friends house close to when the game launched I liked the story and most of the characters.

You should have tried playing it on Hard mode which isn't really hard but it's way more challenging than normal. I tried switching to normal while playing through hard near the end chapters and was surprised on how easy the game became. AI was a bit dumber and every enemy kept on dropping ammo everytime, not to mention materials for crafting where pretty much available everywhere too.

Around the Network

Just because you don't like it that much doesn't mean much, everyone has different preferences with games. Me personally, I thought it was AMAZING.

blkfish92 said:
Just because you don't like it that much doesn't mean much, everyone has different preferences with games. Me personally, I thought it was AMAZING.

I agree so here ya go. 

green_sky said:
blkfish92 said:

I agree so here ya go. 

You son of a...alright man fine. 

Characters unlikeable???How? And the game progressively gets better and better. Sorry, very few games are done as well as TLOU.

zzyoshiman said:

...and I'm just wondering on anyone's thoughts on the game. After hearing for months about how this game is flawless, and that I should buy it, I did. I've been playing it for a few days on normal difficulty until I just recently got through the 50% mark (at least that's what my ps3 says) on story mode, I'm wondering, does this game get better later on in the game?

Before people call me a cod fag and all that, I'm not saying I hated The Last of Us, but I didn't necessarily love it. In my opinion, it's just a little stale. The characters in the game are pretty unlikable. The stealth in the game gets a little sluggish, and the friendly A.I is laughable at times. Again, maybe it picks up later on, but I'm here to ask what's your opinion in it?

Keep playing. KEEP PLAYING. Come back when you're at 100%

The first half introduces you to the characters, world and lets you bond with them. If you find that stale: Sure. But you will most likely notice the effects of this in the second half. The bonding is done rather subtle which can lead to you feeling this way however once it picks up: It will feel even more empowering for the fact that you didn't even realise just how much you actually care.

Its also amazing to see Joels arc reaching its conclusion. It all makes sense and the way they tell the story is powerful. That is why its brilliant.

But thats all from a story/narrative standpoint. The gameplay is fucking awesome all across the board ^^

GAME OF ALL TIME <3

EDIT:
Dunno why we're talking about GTAV but that game doesn't even stand up to most of the story driven games I have played from a story standpoint. That's the biggest flaw it has and the reason why it is lacking in my eyes. There just isn't a "red thread" to follow. Most of the time: I don't even know why I am doing what I am doing and ultimately the missions feel tedious most of the time with some rare gems here and there. The game is too long to support a thrilling experience but I guess they valued length more. That's a shame.