By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ¿How good are you at Melee?

Out of the 60+ people i have played, only one person has ever beaten me (my brother).

~Now Playing~
PC: Max Payne 3, World of Warcraft

X360: MW3, Skyrim

PS2: Persona 4

Last Purchase(s): Max Payne 3, WoW Game Time Next Purchase(s): None at the moment... 

Gamertag: InfernoTrell

Around the Network

By the standards of this forum I'm extremely good. I main Ice Climbers using Wavedashing for movement, desyncing nana, chain throwing, SHFFLing, the works. I've won my college tournament and placed second another time each with a entrance of about 50 each time. Of course, by the standards of the real tournament scene I'm pretty bad.

I look forward to relearning the gameplay for brawl and beating you all down =D.

i was pretty good
got all trophies
beat all events
every character in extra hard in story and adventure
also i had a lot of characters that i played with
probably like a 9.5 back in the day

I was just playing last night and i sucked
didn't even remember the jump button
but got the feel back so now i am like a 7

also what counts as an advanced move
every move in melee was pretty simple to pull of and incorporate in different situations

wfz said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I'd consider myself a 7...assuming most people here don't realize what an "8" means.

I don't wavedash, I do L-cancel when I remember to, but I guess the problem is I'm better than my friends at Melee, so it would be lame for me to try all that stuff on them...it'd only cause the game to go off sooner. If I had enough practice, I think I could reach "pro" level skills...just need some time probably.

I'm paying attention to Brawl's techniques, so hopefully I will be able to use some of them for a tournament.

I play as Samus most of the time, though I am almost better with Marth, but he's pretty cheap in Melee.

You know that those advanced techniques aren't in Brawl right? So basing your skill off of them isn't going to do much when you start playing brawl, unless/until they find new advanced techniques.

Which they will hehe.

I'm no pro, but I learn games fast, was pretty good in Melee...and the important skills will carry over to Brawl I hope.  Any new techniques I'll hopefully pick up on as fast as the rest of the new Brawl players.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
dante said:
also what counts as an advanced move
every move in melee was pretty simple to pull of and incorporate in different situations

There are techniques in melee (programmed and exploits) that are not listed in the instructions.

Among these, the advanced techniques are generally considered to be:

Directional Influence (DI)
Smash Directional Influence
Teching
Short Hop
Fast Fall
Lag-Cancel
Shield Grab
Shield Cancels (upsmash, wavedash, & upb)
Crouch Cancel
Dash-Dancing
Wavedashing

A more thorough list and explanation can be found here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Unfortunately, if you have not incorporated these into your game you are at a huge disadvantage to those who have - i.e. you rated yourself a 9.5 but if you were to play a tournament goer you would be at a tremendously massive disadvantage.

wfz said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I'd consider myself a 7...assuming most people here don't realize what an "8" means.

I don't wavedash, I do L-cancel when I remember to, but I guess the problem is I'm better than my friends at Melee, so it would be lame for me to try all that stuff on them...it'd only cause the game to go off sooner. If I had enough practice, I think I could reach "pro" level skills...just need some time probably.

I'm paying attention to Brawl's techniques, so hopefully I will be able to use some of them for a tournament.

I play as Samus most of the time, though I am almost better with Marth, but he's pretty cheap in Melee.

You know that those advanced techniques aren't in Brawl right? So basing your skill off of them isn't going to do much when you start playing brawl, unless/until they find new advanced techniques.

You're not entirely correct.  Its true that the most dramatic of the advanced techniques, l-canceling and wavedashing, are out but pretty much every other advanced technique is still in (although some such as dash-dancing and crouch canceling have been slightly altered),

Yeah, they also have already found some new advanced techniques. Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries

Sorry for the doubel post but I'm not skilled enough to quote two different posts =D. 

Be afraid be very afraid, I'm so confident in winning every battle I enter, I'd put hard cash on it, even my families lives.

Bruce Lee can't lose, neither can I.

One time I put myself against 3 Level 9 Samus's, 99 lives for all 3 of them, 50 lives for me, I won with 3 lives left, If you can do that, get back to me, I want to hear from you.

I button mash!..
yeah i know, i suck...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

It's hard to explain skill in words, but here's an example. See the Lucas in this video? He's my friend, and I can beat him using Link.

We'll just have to see how we all match up when the game actually comes out.