By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wealthy Vita owner's, what would get you to want a less powerful 3ds?

"I'll take the staggering amount of games it actually has available to play for $1000, Alex!"

Around the Network

The Vita's problem is it really lacks unique experiences, and once the whole remote play shit works out with the PS4 it'll have EVEN less. ( Why buy Killzone Mercenary when I can play shadowfall via remote play, why buy dragons crown on it when I can get it cross buy or through remote play)

See Sony's bread and butter is software sales, otherwise the PS Vita will become a true PSP successor, where Sony's games do terribly on it. Because they're watered down console experiences.

I purchased a vita once... now its gone because I don't like stuff that I spend $250 on collecting so much dust... however I will buy it again if killer app comes out for it (ps4 remote play is not a killer app)

With that being said... the main thing that the vita has that the 3ds is largely missing is a great account system... Every game is linked to the machine and not the account which is stupid since if you want to transfer all your games to a new system... its either all or nothing and you have to rebuy the games on your old system if u are still using it...

I don't think the 3ds has bad visuals by any means when you consider games like resident evil revaluations looking that good... and a lot of games on the 3ds has epic art direction to make the overall visual looking just right... I think what turns people off from the 3ds is a lack of an OLED screen and a second analog stick as well as a lack of bad ports on the 3ds of cod and asscreed (also as known as western games for handhelds)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'll take visuals and new IP's rather gimped versions and old IP's that's why I chose Vita. And also I see great future for Vita due to Its power, PS4 and Mobiles/Tablets which brings more games with nice visuals along with New IP's on the go and I also can play my classics of PS1, PSP, PS3(vai Gaikai) and experience HD entertainment through Video streaming apps etc., because Vita has Half the resolution of Full HD(1920x1080/2 = 960x544) and OLED screen is beautiful.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

I have new IP's from Vita: Gravity Rush 1 & 2, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Murasaki Babay, many more to follow after PS4 launch because I trust sony for New IP's and many Indie games.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
The Vita's problem is it really lacks unique experiences, and once the whole remote play shit works out with the PS4 it'll have EVEN less. ( Why buy Killzone Mercenary when I can play shadowfall via remote play, why buy dragons crown on it when I can get it cross buy or through remote play)

See Sony's bread and butter is software sales, otherwise the PS Vita will become a true PSP successor, where Sony's games do terribly on it. Because they're watered down console experiences.

GTA can do for Vita what MH does for 3DS. Of course, a real GTA on 3DS could do the same thing.

GTA didnt do much for the PSP or the DS.

Any vita worth owning is a Japanese one with an OLED or LCD screen.

Everything else is meh.

Nintendo's output on the 3DS is much more robust. Im pretty sure everyone forgot the initial games on the system from the first year by now too lol.

*goes back to playing Ghost Recon and Kid Icarus Uprising*

I sold my 3DS some days ago. Had it for a few months with Animal Crossing, Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong 3D and Fire Emblem. I tried various games, but compared with the Vita, everything just seems so outdated. The screens are absoultely HORRIBLE compared to the Vita. The (in my opinion) bad graphics don't help either. After playing with the Vita, I could barely stand the visuals of the 3DS. Then there's the system software. Vita is super smooth and can run mutliple apps at the same time. Checking something on the web or on youtube while playing a game? No problem whatsoever on the Vita. On the 3DS, you have to quit your game first, which is slow as hell. Then you have to start a new app, close it, and start your game again. It really gets on my nerve. Besides, Youtube doesn't run at all and the Browser is next to useless thanks to the extreme low resolution.

On top of that, I enjoy the games on the Vita a lot more. I tried various games on both platforms, but nothing on 3DS came even close to the fun I had with Killzone, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, The Walking Dead and oh so many more. And that's not even counting the endless hours I will spend playing Minecraft in the future.

What would it take for me to get back to the 3DS? I don't know, man. I've been playing Nintendo games since 1989, but they just don't appeal to me anymore. While there are some minor changes, it still feels like back in the days and I really am sick and tired of rescuing the princess with Mario or Link. It would need some serious exclusive Killer App which I can't possibly resist. But I don't see it happening.

Better hardware would also help, I guess. But then again, hardware without software is useless. And I'm pretty sure by the time Nintendo releases a more powerful Handheld, Sony will also have something even more powerful. Yeah, I don't think the Vita will be Sonys last Handheld. I don't hate the 3DS or anything, I gave it a try and really tried to enjoy it. But it's just not my kind of gaming. But if you're happy with it, that's fine by me and I wish you as much fun as possible. In the end, isn't it great that we have a choice? That way, everyone can just pick the handheld they prefer.

I personally like the Vita much more than the 3DS. The 3DS collected dust while I play with the Vita on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean we have to hate each other, does it?

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Did you not play with the 3D on? If all you buy are the main franchises then whats the point? People who tend to complain about game libraries dont even have half the shit or know whats in it. I bought mine for RPGS, been years since I've bought a mario game, freaking years. I've got 25 retail games on it, why? Because Im a god damn gaming enthusiast. 
And seriously the only things you bought were some of the least graphically intensive games on the system.

No they arent spending a shit ton of money on graphics. 

I have both. Problem solved.

I love both. Vita even has my GOTY with Dragon's Crown. Also in November wth my fave series Ys IV. Despite the screen got busted and sending it in for repiar I prefer my Vita. My only real issue with Vita is the memory cards and the prices. Everything ele is fantastic. (Screen got busted in my bag..think it hit a wall or something. Vita is also great with PSN. Also Vita is region free.

I love my 3DS XL as well. Code of Princess,Fire Emblem,Projext X Zone and mroe plus while the 3DS games are region locked I can play regular DS games from anywhere so I was able to play ASH. While Eshop has a few nice games like Mutant Mudds,Mighty Switch Force and the VC..it still really lags behind PSN.

3DS has a slight edge for me in retail but Vita is growing pretty quickly  retail wise. Vita is clearly head and shoulders above eshop with PSN. I may prefer my vita but it would suck for me to go without either one..and until my vita comes back for repair and hard not to able to play DC or GR. 3DS is still helping the void and distract e till my precious is back.