By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can someone explain to me WTF is the Steam Machine controller?

richardhutnik said:
Mythmaker1 said:

I'm a bit confused. Each home console controller allows you access to only four face buttons without taking both thumbs off the sticks.

With the two buttons on the back, and two on each side of the controller, the Steam controller allows the same number of buttons while still keeping a thumb on the pad. Or is there something that makes the back buttons wrong for these game types?

The Steam Box controller takes the four buttons on front on the right hand side, and spaces them evenly on the left and the right to make them not work the same way.  They do look like they keep the same buttons on the back, but the front is missing the buttons on the side.

But what's wrong with the two new ones on the back? I mean, why can't they fill in for the ones that were moved?

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

What ever it is it looks like it will control like a total clusterf#ck.

It looks like it has two speakers on it xD

Mythmaker1 said:
richardhutnik said:
Mythmaker1 said:

I'm a bit confused. Each home console controller allows you access to only four face buttons without taking both thumbs off the sticks.

With the two buttons on the back, and two on each side of the controller, the Steam controller allows the same number of buttons while still keeping a thumb on the pad. Or is there something that makes the back buttons wrong for these game types?

The Steam Box controller takes the four buttons on front on the right hand side, and spaces them evenly on the left and the right to make them not work the same way.  They do look like they keep the same buttons on the back, but the front is missing the buttons on the side.

But what's wrong with the two new ones on the back? I mean, why can't they fill in for the ones that were moved?

Buttons on back?  They really didn't show the back, so I had no idea what the diagram was at all.  

richardhutnik said:
Mythmaker1 said:
richardhutnik said:
Mythmaker1 said:

Buttons on back?  They really didn't show the back, so I had no idea what the diagram was at all.  

The picture didn't really show the back, but the page linked in the OP has more detailed schematics. The buttons I'm talking about are...

Around the Network

One of the major aspects of this gamepad that has me intrigued is its ability to present itself as a keyboard and mouse (its legacy mode), effectively enabling people to use the gamepad on existing games that weren't designed with the Steam gamepad in mind. Not only is this great for being able to play past games, it's also a great option for games that don't have native gamepad support (where users traditionally have had to utilize third-party software in order to play with a gamepad).

arcelonious said:

One of the major aspects of this gamepad that has me intrigued is its ability to present itself as a keyboard and mouse (its legacy mode), effectively enabling people to use the gamepad on existing games that weren't designed with the Steam gamepad in mind. Not only is this great for being able to play past games, it's also a great option for games that don't have native gamepad support (where users traditionally have had to utilize third-party software in order to play with a gamepad).

That's one thing I'm really happy to see. I like being able to sit on the couch and play, and it's a pain to do with a keyboard and mouse.

It's highly sophisticated sandpaper for your thumbs.

Mythmaker1 said:
Player2 said:
Mythmaker1 said:

I'm honestly curious what specifically makes the controller unsuitable for certian types of games. In terms of games I've personally played (which I'll admit may be somewhat limited) I don't forsee any complications.

Could you explain that to me?

I use three fingers (like in a arcade) instead of my right thumb to press face buttons whenever it's possible (always for 3D fighting games) because it's faster (no need to move the right thumb to different spots, makes pressing multiple buttons at the same time (something like A+X) easy). With this controller that's impossible.

If you're wanting to hit three buttons with three different fingers, I'm pretty sure you can still do that, if you use the ones on the back.

Since they're in the back and they're only two, I'm forced to use my thumbs for the others, which is what I was trying to avoid.

I guess it's decent for emulating traditional mouse & keyboard schemes, but I still don't like it. The trackpads are promising, but sensitivity will likely be a problem. The face buttons in the middle of the controller boggles my mind. There are still less input options than any of the Big 3's controller's. The touch screen looks tiny and tacked on compared to the gloriously large Wii U gamepad's.

Consider my interest in Steam Machines dwindled.

Love and tolerate.