By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If consoles sales are all about the software, then what's the point Wii U's second screen?

richardhutnik said:

Different for its own sake isn't the answer.  Different for the sake of being better, is the answer.  

you've read every post in this thread and you still haven't found the answers? Do you own an iPad? Can you not see the benefits of touch gui..?

Around the Network
PigPen said:
Fusioncode said:
Nintendo seems to be moving away from the second screen being the selling point of the WiiU. I guess they realized that people don't really care about it.

It's really funny you said that, cause everytime Nintendo does a showing I see people having fun with the gamepad.  I guess it's the millions of people that didn't buy a Wii U that knows what everyone cares about.

I know that millions of people didn't buy the WiiU and that touch screen is doing very little to convince them otherwise. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

snyps said:
richardhutnik said:

Different for its own sake isn't the answer.  Different for the sake of being better, is the answer.  

you've read every post in this thread and you still haven't found the answers? Do you own an iPad? Can you not see the benefits of touch gui..?

The basis of my original post was trying to follow the original argument people were making in the other thread that the Wii U wasn't selling, because the software that sells hasn't been out.  To that, if what they say is true, why did Nintendo include the second screen?  Conclusion here is to either then say that there has to be something with the second screen Nintendo has failed to make compelling for people thus far, and it isn't just software alone.  So, when people are saying the Wii U isn't selling because of the lack of compelling software, they are off.  It isn't selling because of a lack of compelling software that argues the case for the second screen being essential.  But, I left it open for people to end up arguing other ways if they like.

If you want to talk about value proposition go ahead, but you ought to make it clear^

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
If you want to talk about value proposition go ahead, but you ought to make it clear^

This is the original post:

In this thread here, where I was asking from a personal experience level to give me ideas of what I am missing from the second screen experience, it ended up being morphed int something else and I was seen as having an agenda or something.  Also, what came up is that "The Wii U isn't selling well, because of the lack of compelling software".  This is the thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=168973&page=1#

Ok, my question is this: If it is all about the software, and Nintendo's offering having compelling software, and that makes a difference, why did Nintendo release a system with a second screen?  What is the point of the second screen if that isn't a reason why people will buy systems?  In short, if it is all about the software, then why the second screen.  If it is about software that uses the second screen as a key differentiator, then what software would make people think the second screen is a must have feature, and choose the Wii U over it?  This can be multiplatform third-party that have the Wii U the preferred way to play over the PS4 and XBOX ONE, or signs that the Wii U is getting third party exclusives.  If it is Nintendo's offering, they what new or older IP using the second screen makes the second screen compelling?

In short, why does the second screen matter?

----------------------------------------------------

What is the point of the second screen as a differentiator if all that matters is the software?  That was the original point.  It is a chance for people to argue for the power of content.  Failing that, they then can argue how the second screen will win over sales.  Because, excluding software and the second screen, what exactly does the WIi U provide?

Around the Network

Because Second Screen allows you for new types of software.

Like I said, its a tool set you are given.

richardhutnik said:
snyps said:
richardhutnik said:

The basis of my original post was trying to follow the original argument people were making in the other thread that the Wii U wasn't selling, because the software that sells hasn't been out.  To that, if what they say is true, why did Nintendo include the second screen?  Conclusion here is to either then say that there has to be something with the second screen Nintendo has failed to make compelling for people thus far, and it isn't just software alone.  So, when people are saying the Wii U isn't selling because of the lack of compelling software, they are off.  It isn't selling because of a lack of compelling software that argues the case for the second screen being essential.  But, I left it open for people to end up arguing other ways if they like.

Oh, you're mind was already made up. You concluded it was a failure, that the touch gui is useless feature nobody wanted, and no games can solve the way you see things. This thread was to convince ppl of your opinion and be a forum to exchange ideas. That's alright. Though, I thought you wanted to be convinced of the merits of the gamepad, but you have repeated the point of your op to me twice when I tried to show you the merits. Well carry on then your thread (not able to convince you) will convince others who come in with an open mind.

snyps said:
richardhutnik said:
snyps said:
richardhutnik said:

Oh, you're mind was already made up. You concluded it was a failure, that the touch gui is useless feature nobody wanted, and no games can solve the way you see things. This thread was to convince ppl of your opinion and be a forum to exchange ideas. That's alright. Though, I thought you wanted to be convinced of the merits of the gamepad, but you have repeated the point of your op to me twice when I tried to show you the merits. Well carry on then your thread (not able to convince you) will convince others who come in with an open mind.

I have argued that Nintendo has failed, thus far, to make a persuasive argument as to why the second screen is essential.  This thread is all about the second screen being key and people can argue for it being so, and showing it.  And then show how that would make a difference.  It is meant to refute the "software only matters" argument some have said.

But, thus far, seeing the sales numbers, Nintendo hasn't done a good job selling the second screen even close to what they did with motion control.  Feel free to refute this and go on to show that the Wii U's sales numbers are doing gangbusters.

If you want to personalize this, go to my other thread on here, because it deals with my personal experience.  In no way should one take my personal feelings and believe they are the same for everyone.  They just aren't.

richardhutnik said:
snyps said:
richardhutnik said:
snyps said:
richardhutnik said:

I have argued that Nintendo has failed, thus far, to make a persuasive argument as to why the second screen is essential.  This thread is all about the second screen being key and people can argue for it being so, and showing it.  And then show how that would make a difference.  It is meant to refute the "software only matters" argument some have said.

But, thus far, seeing the sales numbers, Nintendo hasn't done a good job selling the second screen even close to what they did with motion control.  Feel free to refute this and go on to show that the Wii U's sales numbers are doing gangbusters.

If you want to personalize this, go to my other thread on here, because it deals with my personal experience.  In no way should one take my personal feelings and believe they are the same for everyone.  They just aren't.

You asked what is the point of the pad if sw sells consoles, right? Here's your answer. not that you'll acknowledge you were wrong (to think there's no point)

--->The pad's GUI facilitates the sw.<--- /end thread

Nintendo hasnt even put out a defining game for the system( till TW101 came out ). It makes more sense to have this discussion after the thing has another year on the market.

There is this thing you know, that the Wii had... first party software.. you know to play on it...