By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If consoles sales are all about the software, then what's the point Wii U's second screen?

If software sells the system what's the point of gamepad?

A touch screen interface is elegant. Especially for making the console a go to device in your home. It only does everything. But you won't acknowledge that will you.

Around the Network

Nintendo seems to be moving away from the second screen being the selling point of the WiiU. I guess they realized that people don't really care about it.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

snyps said:

A touch screen interface is elegant. Especially for making the console a go to device in your home. It only does everything. But you won't acknowledge that will you.

In response to discussions about my not having a good reaction to the second screen, people were say "software, software, software".  So, in this thread, I was trying to ask and ponder about the issue of software.  I could argue that it isn't just about software, but about the second screen mattering to people.  So then the question is: why does the second screen matter?  So, it would be it isn't just the software, BUT the second screen as an essential feature.

PigPen said:

You should be asking why Sony wants to copy the strategy with the PS4 and Vita.

You might want to do some research on this before you say lines like this.  I imagine some other people aren't going to be so polite in explaining how very off you are.

Rogerioandrade said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
The GamePad, in my opinion, provides several things: asymmetrical multiplayer, off-screen play, easy web browsing, and a bunch of extras like five-player local multiplayer. So that is the point of it: to allow consumers to play and share their games in new and different ways. If you don't like the GamePad, I would suggest going with a Pro Controller or Wii Remote, as I mentioned in your other thread on this subject.

Yes... it´s that simple, isn´t it? Just a new option to play your games and to use your console.

I really don´t understand why some people makes such a fuzz about that. If that was such a terrible idea, then why would Sony and MS spent time and effort trying to mimic it with PS4/Vita and Smartglass ?

It´s good to have options. Pikmin 3 is a great example of it, anyone can play it with their controller of choice. In the end, what really makes a difference between consoles is the game library.

Sony and Microsoft didn't want to get caught offguard again, in case the second screen panned out as a must have feature.  The unique interface end around wasn't going to catch them off guard, like it did with the Wii.

The thing with Nintendo is that the second screen IS adding to the cost of the system.  So, if the second screen doesn't matter, then they are pricing their system higher than it needs to be.

Around the Network

It has pretty good potential.

richardhutnik said:
snyps said:
richardhutnik said:

In response to discussions about my not having a good reaction to the second screen, people were say "software, software, software".  So, in this thread, I was trying to ask and ponder about the issue of software.  I could argue that it isn't just about software, but about the second screen mattering to people.  So then the question is: why does the second screen matter?  So, it would be it isn't just the software, BUT the second screen as an essential feature.

It's simple, not complicated. You buy a Wii U because of the games. The elegance of touch enhances the experience and permits the all-devices-into-one digital life functionallity. It's feature is that it does everything. Why's it so hard to acknowledge that?

snyps said:
richardhutnik said:
snyps said:

It's simple, not complicated. You buy a Wii U because of the games. The elegance of touch enhances the experience and permits the all-devices-into-one digital life functionallity. It's feature is that it does everything. Why's it so hard to acknowledge that?

That was PS3's slogan and that wasn't working to well for them. I don't see it working for Nintendo either.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Fusioncode said:
Nintendo seems to be moving away from the second screen being the selling point of the WiiU. I guess they realized that people don't really care about it.

It's really funny you said that, cause everytime Nintendo does a showing I see people having fun with the gamepad.  I guess it's the millions of people that didn't buy a Wii U that knows what everyone cares about.

pokoko said:
PigPen said:

You should be asking why Sony wants to copy the strategy with the PS4 and Vita.

You might want to do some research on this before you say lines like this.  I imagine some other people aren't going to be so polite in explaining how very off you are.

Like coping the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance.  What am I suppose to research?