By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If consoles sales are all about the software, then what's the point Wii U's second screen?

oniyide said:
you gotta lay of Wii U for awhile...for your own sake.

But to answer your question IMHO the second screen is alot like 3d in 3ds in that it didnt really add much and there hasnt been a game on that system released that was a game changer in terms of 3d use. Thats proven by the fact that they are going to release a SKU WITHOUT the 3d the thing that was supposed to sell the system in the first place.

I dont see it either, but i will wait. If they cant make anything compelling for the gamepad then they have no choice but to rely on software.

This should be my last thread on the second screen awhile, and meant to discuss the merits of it as a feature.  If I have more experiences with the WiiU, that add anything, I can go and post them in the other thread.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
badgenome said:

I think it's there just because Nintendo is set on the idea that they can't just make a console anymore. It has to be different from their previous console, and it has to be different from the competition. While this worked for the Wii, the difference is that the Wii had a good gimmick and a killer app that explained that gimmick perfectly to customers. The Wii U seems to be something that Nintendo themselves isn't even really enthusiastic about, the screen having been a differentiator that they don't necessarily believe in but felt obligated to make.

There may be a killer app yet for the Wii U, but Nintendoland was definitely not it, and the fact that the basic idea of a second screen isn't really appreciably different from the DS with which Nintendo is already very familiar by now makes me think there isn't one coming. If there is, it will likely be something built around asymmetrical multiplayer, which is quite different from what's been done on the DS.

Is it the case of drowning in a blue ocean you insist on creating?  What I saw now is that both Microsoft and Sony ended up preparing the interface end around, with their own offerings.  If it ever ended up being critical, they could respond.

thats how it should be, building a whole console around one feature is insane IMHO, it worked for WIi initially but quickly found how limited that was, function wise. IMHO

richardhutnik said:
oniyide said:

But to answer your question IMHO the second screen is alot like 3d in 3ds in that it didnt really add much and there hasnt been a game on that system released that was a game changer in terms of 3d use. Thats proven by the fact that they are going to release a SKU WITHOUT the 3d the thing that was supposed to sell the system in the first place.

I dont see it either, but i will wait. If they cant make anything compelling for the gamepad then they have no choice but to rely on software.

This should be my last thread on the second screen awhile, and meant to discuss the merits of it as a feature.  If I have more experiences with the WiiU, that add anything, I can go and post them in the other thread.

i personally dont mind but we know how some could get sensitive around here.

richardhutnik said:

Is it the case of drowning in a blue ocean you insist on creating?  What I saw now is that both Microsoft and Sony ended up preparing the interface end around, with their own offerings.  If it ever ended up being critical, they could respond.

Their second screen options are a bit of a hedge against that, but I wonder how successful they'd be if it came to it. On the one hand, it's not something that comes with their systems which limits the appeal to developers. But on the other, tablets and smartphones are things that most people have anyway. It's not like trying to answer the Wiimote with proprietary devices like Kinect and Move.

I guess it would really depend on why the Wii U would have caught on. If it's just a second screen, they're probably okay with tablet and phone support. But if it was something like off-screen play or a situation where you'd need a Gamepad like combination of touch screen and buttons, only Sony could really answer it and the Vita/PS4 combo is a pretty expensive one so wouldn't be successful.

oniyide said:
richardhutnik said:
oniyide said:

I can't get sensitivity to console loyalty stop me from asking these questions and commenting.  I didn't get flagged for what I wrote either, and I am trying to make a point not to just be trollish. I have valid concerns about things.  I would see laying off simply because I don't need to keep beating the same horse.  But I am not going to be sensitive because I may offend people who may want to live in denial about things, no matter what that thing is.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
oniyide said:
richardhutnik said:
oniyide said:

I can't get sensitivity to console loyalty stop me from asking these questions and commenting.  I didn't get flagged for what I wrote either, and I am trying to make a point not to just be trollish. I have valid concerns about things.  I would see laying off simply because I don't need to keep beating the same horse.  But I am not going to be sensitive because I may offend people who may want to live in denial about things, no matter what that thing is.

preaching to the choir, man. I get it, post on

badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

Their second screen options are a bit of a hedge against that, but I wonder how successful they'd be if it came to it. On the one hand, it's not something that comes with their systems which limits the appeal to developers. But on the other, tablets and smartphones are things that most people have anyway. It's not like trying to answer the Wiimote with proprietary devices like Kinect and Move.

I guess it would really depend on why the Wii U would have caught on. If it's just a second screen, they're probably okay with tablet and phone support. But if it was something like off-screen play or a situation where you'd need a Gamepad like combination of touch screen and buttons, only Sony could really answer it and the Vita/PS4 combo is a pretty expensive one so wouldn't be successful.

Nintendo probably thought it would be a big killer app feature and they could have the lowest price offering in the area.  They probably did the same with thinking about 3D on the 3DS and found out that it was the price offering and incremental upgrade in an area where they have little competition in dedicated gaming handhelds, that did it.  They also have been holding on to trying to find ways to not bleed a ton of ink to try to win over people.  I am sure the Gamecube had them hurt a lot, and they have been going the blue ocean path.

I still now have visions of the Wii U merging with the DS line in the future, and them combining platforms.  The 2DS is a tip off for me.  This combining of portable and handheld, could be be very interesting though.  

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Why not? They innovate. They create new and exciting ways to play that amazing software.

the wii was innovative. I don't see the wiiu as a great new way to play games.

The second screen doesn't matter. What nintendo thought is a far bit different from the wii. Nintendo understood that software sold hardware back then. They too thought gimmicks were the key to selling consoles but look what happened. What nintendo did is that they prioritised hardware before software so that's their fault.

oniyide said:
richardhutnik said:
oniyide said:
richardhutnik said:
oniyide said:

preaching to the choir, man. I get it, post on

I will try to make a point to not overdo something.  That is what threads are for anyhow, to harp on his thought or that, and look at the details.  But, not sure I have to keep beating the same drum on this.  One exception would be another thread that has something positive to say about the second screen.  For me, I was just a bit surprised that the second screen didn't click with me.  Motion control did with the Wii, and I saw the Wii as possibly being huge (trying it also worked).  When I saw the Wii U, I thought they might of been onto something but then the bloom came off when tried it, and then I see third-party didn't jump on either, as I thought they would.  Anyhow, will see how it goes.  I just hope that a thread ends up with people better off, not worse off.

My interest is pretty much to go the opposite of johnlucas: I am not interested in triumphism and whatnot, and being outrageous on a longshot so people can say I am right, but most likely to be WAY out there. I am not interested in scoring points for being outrageous.  I have an interested in the right insights appearing in the end and better understanding how things work.  The end result is what matters, not me showing how wonderful I am.  Now, if anyone wants to show me how being like johnlucas can translate into a job, I will work to be more outrageous on that.

So, in the end, I can offer one prediction (humbly here).  I see a DSU coming down the road and Nintendo going with one platform, a home/portable fusion in the future.... assuming the 2DS sells real well that is.  The system can allow playing on TV but also without, and also allows multiple systems to be hooked up independently.  Whether I am right or wrong, I don't know, and don't ask me how this would sell.  I did, a few years ago, believe Nintendo was going to go in that direction, regarding the 3DS and a future home console (the Wii U before the Wii U):

http://goes-to-11.blogspot.com/2010/04/predictions-on-nintendo-3ds-and-next.html

Now, would I bet anything on this?  Nope.  But take it for what it is.