By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone else think all the random and adult oriented topics are bad for VGC?

I think it would be nice if there were a limit that each forum could appear on the hot topics page. Lately there have been an overwhelming number of off-topic threads....which is fine. I understand why it's happening...but it would be nice if there was some sort of imposed balance on the hot topic page.

Around the Network

ugh, you're all boring.
its bad enough that leo-j isn't around, now weezy's taking a break too.

soon the site will get bigger, mods will get stricter and we'll just be left with another lame videogame forum with pointless arguements over which console is better.

I agree with everyone here -- I think these threads should be allowed, but also agree they probably aren't good for VGChartz, if "good" means increasing site credibility and hits.

I've been one of the constant proponents of the message "sexual and violent themes in games are what teenagers think of as adult," and I think that message could easily be applied to forum posts. It's not bannable or warnable or even necessarily bad; it's just puerile. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

super_etecoon said:
I think it would be nice if there were a limit that each forum could appear on the hot topics page. Lately there have been an overwhelming number of off-topic threads....which is fine. I understand why it's happening...but it would be nice if there was some sort of imposed balance on the hot topic page.

that is a great idea since most visitors usually just see the hot topic sections part of the forum.
that way even if there are a lot of off topic sexual oriented threads, it wouldnt swamp the hot topics section.
and members could still discuss it by going to the off-topic section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I think it's pretty much completely inappropriate. I don't think Off Topic threads should even come up on the main page, but that's just me.

Around the Network
pu·er·ile      [pyoo-er-il, -uh-rahyl, pyoor-il, -ahyl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
1.of or pertaining to a child or to childhood.
2.childishly foolish; immature or trivial: a puerile piece of writing.

Thanks Bodhesava....Haven't seen a new word in a while.   

Bodhesatva said:

I agree with everyone here -- I think these threads should be allowed, but also agree they probably aren't good for VGChartz, if "good" means increasing site credibility and hits.

I've been one of the constant proponents of the message "sexual and violent themes in games are what teenagers think of as adult," and I think that message could easily be applied to forum posts. It's not bannable or warnable or even necessarily bad; it's just puerile. 

i didnt really say that it shouldnt be allowed, i said "refrain from making too many".
i mean its nice that they "spice up the furoms" as Dsoverpsp would put it, but too much of a good thing is always bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:

I have nothing against all the random threads that keep popping up now and then.
Its good once in awhile but there is way too much right now.
I admit theyre fun and entertaining and VG news is slow right now but Imagine what would people think when they first visit VGchartz and see the furom littered with "are you a virgin" "ever tried wearing women's underwear?" "are you an idiot"and "how did you learn to masturbate?" threads in the hot topics section? the site would lose credibility.

What im asking is, can you guys/girls try to refrain from posting too many random and weird threads?

what say you?

i agree - its esp. weid for newcomers cause then they might think this site is a joke

wiiforever said:
iclim4 said:

I have nothing against all the random threads that keep popping up now and then.
I admit theyre fun and entertaining and VG news is slow right now but Imagine what would people think when they first visit VGchartz and see the furom littered with "are you a virgin" "ever tried wearing women's underwear?" "are you an idiot"and "how did you learn to masturbate?" threads in the hot topics section? the site would lose credibility.

What im asking is, can you guys/girls try to refrain from posting too many random and weird threads?

what say you?

i agree - its esp. weid for newcomers cause then they might think this site is a joke

well, pretty much the entire internet except for us already thinks vg chartz is a joke.

I'll try refrain from making a thread like that in the future. The forums were just slow this morning so I decided to share a good ol' "drunken saturday night" story.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
wiiforever said:
iclim4 said:

what say you?

well, pretty much the entire internet except for us already thinks vg chartz is a joke.

VGC has actually become more credible than it was a few months ago in peoples perspectives.
a lot more sites now use it as a source and people stopped(or atleast lowered) attacking VGC's credibility in those sites comment sections.