By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Original PS4 design had 4GB RAM

It seems those "rumors" at semiaccurate were true. Sony reveals that they originally wanted to release ps4 with 4gb of GDDR5 ram. But they changed their tactic after the feedback of developers.

If microsoft fans are greatful to sony for non DRM gaming then we sony fans are greatful to microsoft. Because sony changed the ram in order to stay competitive spec wise and marketing wise.

Sony reveals first pass at next-generation console had "only" 4GB of memory.

The original PlayStation 4 design had 4GB of memory, Sony confirmed during a presentation at the 2013 Tokyo Game Show this week.

Speaking with GameSpot, president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida explained the "business decision" to upgrade to 8GB GDDR5.

"And because we chose expensive memory…we really liked the performance, but it's pricy, right? So going to 8GB was a bit of a business decision," Yoshida said. "But we were able to make that decision because of a lot of the feedback from developers. "

The Xbox One, from competitor Microsoft, also features 8GB of RAM.

Sony aims to sell 5 million PlayStation 4 units between launch in November and March 2014. The next-generation console has seen more than 1 million preorders to date.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/original-ps4-design-had-4gb-ram-6414719

Around the Network

So Wii U fans have extra reason to hate Microsoft then?

Love and tolerate.

Yeah no shit. Any following the rumors from the beginning knows PS4 had 4GB ram until sometime just before they originally revealed the console. Even 3rd party devs were taken by surprise at the 8GB announcement.

Wow.. like 6 months late.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Well that means the PS4 is pretty much set for possibly 10 years. I don't know about the others but it's good news that sony confirmed 4GB originally then switched to 8GB, I guess ?

Around the Network

No one knows what the future holds for the industry but one day we may look back at Sony and the PS4 as the console that saved gaming. If Xbone had released and went on to be successful in it's first, DRM happy form, we all would have been screwed.

prayformojo said:

No one knows what the future holds for the industry but one day we may look back at Sony and the PS4 as the console that saved gaming. If Xbone had released and went on to be successful in it's first, DRM happy form, we all would have been screwed.

I don't think the DRM would have been a big deal but to developing countries it means alot where internet access is crap. Sure it would have been annoying to have a 24 hour checkin but no biggie and sure you couldn't sell/buy used games as a way to punish developers but its cool.

superchunk said:
Yeah no shit. Any following the rumors from the beginning knows PS4 had 4GB ram until sometime just before they originally revealed the console. Even 3rd party devs were taken by surprise at the 8GB announcement.

yeah, but this confirms the rumors to be true.

I suppose better late than never regarding the confirmation.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Does anyone else remember this being brought up before E3?