By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Peter Molyneux: GTA sales aren't impressive

Tagged games:

sales2099 said:
Good thing he doesn't represent MS anymore :P

But hes trying to say that the sales are front loaded and will drop off. He think games that pull in great numebrs every week, all year, are worth noting.

Makes sense, in a way, but cmon, $800 million is 800 million.

This,

Maybe huge sales spikes, front loaded gaming sales and then huge price drops/sales drops and the majority of the industry chasing the absolute newest thing isn't the healthies environment?

Now I'm not defending the free-to-play/nickel & dime model that a lot of mobile games take, but the "AAA have to sell millions of copies in the first week or this long-standing game development studio is going to go bankrupt" is not the answer either.

Entertainment industries depend on masses of people attaching to the next big thing, but also spending additional time/energy (read: money) on longer standing pillars. When the majority of an industry become 'core' fans that only partake in the absolute newest media, demand something special, additional, lower price, etc. with every single purchase and are so indoctrinated that they actually attack (verbally and even physically) fans of other portions of the industry - that industry will inherently shrink as 'n00bs' won't want to join and some long standing fans will eventually become jaded.

Again, not saying he is completely right but he does have some points with some merit. GTA V sales are impressive however but I'm just not sure if game development structures like in games like GTA, COD, AC, etc. (even if/when those games are good games in and of themselves) are good for the industry in the long run.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

Around the Network

What he is saying is that there are easier ways to make money.

It might be, but that doesnt mean there wont be a market for console games. You can also make alot of money selling gas, but alas that is no excuse to stop making movies, games, etc. Mr Molyneux no longer sees game design and creativity in front of him, he only sees dollar signs.

wait.. so it took 800m in 1 day yet it will take a month to get the other 200m?.. I'm guessing day 2 on sale they passed 1B

Molyneux thinks GTA 5 won't have legs or something?

GTA Game Sales > Peter Molyneux Game Sales x 10...

I like a lot of games Peter has been involved in, but the reality is that Peter has yet to achieve GTA success never mind SuperCell and other's success.

Around the Network
ioi said:
Nicely taken out of context...

I'll need more than 75 characters to put much context in a thread title, boss!

badgenome said:
ioi said:
Nicely taken out of context...

I'll need more than 75 characters to put much context in a thread title, boss!

Nice avatar.

Yeah I'm pretty impressed when 1 out of a billion mobile games manage to rake in 5mil in revenue daily. Meanwhile every other app developer is begging on the street to stay alive.

pokoko said:
Because of your comment, I went back to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Literally every kid wants to own and play GTA when it comes out, why would its sales impress anyone? Did you think that it will sell 1k copies on the first day or something?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

So achieving $1 billion in one month is less impressive than achieving the same in about 15 months?

I know what he's trying to say but c'mon saying it's not impressive talking shit.