By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rayman Legends ..... great game, great flop

Th3PANO said:
ghettoglamour said:
If people were actually aware of this game the old italian plumber would be in serious trouble. But this way, Nintendo can afford to make the same fucking game for 20 more years.

The game is really creative and innovative but the controls are still floaty and not at 2D Mario Level.

If the demo is any indication, it's far surpassed 2D Mario in controls.

On topic, I second "wait until the holidays are over". This isn't the kind of game that blows up week one.

Personally, all the talk of it being even easier than Origins, and even having less total new content than Origins, have put me off from purchasing it as much as I enjoyed the demo.

Around the Network

To be fair if this had launched in February judging by hype, preorders, sales of other Wii U exclusives around the time (and me guessing) I suspect it would have done maybe 40-45k first week (or basically right around what it did multi-platform just all on the Wii U). But as a 2D platformer like this gets a lot of sales from legs it makes sense to put it on as many platforms as possible so people who pick it up in a years time or more can have more options (read: chances) to pick it up. I don't like how they handled it, I would have rather seen the Wii U release in February along with other systems around now (I don't think that would have adversely affect the sales on other platforms, just increased Wii U sales) but that's not what they decided to do unfortunately.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

tbone51 said:
oniyide said:
tbone51 said:
oniyide said:
archer9234 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

I can't believe you guys think it would've been better to release it in the Spring. As if it'd be doing better with months fewer pre orders and without the platforms that currently count for over half its sales.

I think pissing the fanbase off was more of a issue, than trying to sell it across 3 systems. VS making people happy and doing it on one as planned. Then port the game later if they wanted to. The people that buy your game is the most important. It's foolish to annoy people.

yeah but the fanbase isnt really on the WIi U, judging by the sales of the that version versus hte others. Nothing wrong with wanting to have your game get as much audience as possible. Game should never have been exclusive to begin with.

they should of released the game on WiiU back in Feb, it got like 20k sales while pre orders back then were over 30k, people got turned off about 6 month delay (to port it to other platforms) and lots of people dropped their pre orders. It was ok to make it multi plat but Ubisoft shot themselves in the foot especially wen their were no wiiu games yet, now everybody saving their money on other nintendo games or spending money on GTA5 for Ex!

if people were really interested in the game then a delay should not have mattered, especially if they preordered it, if they did that they must have been confident in their purchase. Games get delayed all the time, hell GTA5 was supposed to been come out, but im not seeing a lot of backlash for that.

not everybody has money to buy multiple games though, im stuck right now with money for ex! I need to buy both pokemon xy (for me and my bro) W101/Sonic Lost World/WW HD Special Edition... and im not sure as of yet if i can get all of these above Day1. I plan on buying Rayman During holidays since its a great 2D platform, anyway back in Feb i bought FE awakening and had money for another game since only other new games to get was Luigi Mansion+MH3U the next month!

i get that, all im saying is if you preordered it then you basically bought it or decided to buy it. If its any consolation im sure the game will plummet in price very soon. Hell i think we should be happy it kinda flopped as it will be cheaper for everyone.

oniyide said:
KHlover said:
burninmylight said:
Releasing another game this close to GTA V and other heavy hitters? You earn exactly what you get. I still haven't seen a good explanation of why Ubi couldn't have released it on Wii U in March like originally planned, then brought it to other consoles later.

Apparently MS tells 3rd party devs to suck it if the game appears late on the Xbox360. Ubisoft perhaps overestimated the sales potential of Rayman on the PS360 at the time. As a result WiiU still has the best selling version of Rayman, but sales are awful compared to the two respectable sales of LCU and MH3U which were sold around the same time. With this move Ubisoft hurt themselves and the WiiU as a platform:(

they didnt overestimate anything. I seriously doubt that WIi u would have covered the combine sales for PS360, PC, vita. and its nto the best selling version. that goes to PS3

It wouldn't have to cover the combine sales. People who wanted it on another console could have just waited. People who wanted it immediately could get it for Wii U. Timing is everything, and Rayman in February or March when there's not a lot else going on sounds more enticing than Rayman in September, when there are crap ton of big games coming out at the same time and in the near future.

oniyide said:
KHlover said:
burninmylight said:
Releasing another game this close to GTA V and other heavy hitters? You earn exactly what you get. I still haven't seen a good explanation of why Ubi couldn't have released it on Wii U in March like originally planned, then brought it to other consoles later.

Apparently MS tells 3rd party devs to suck it if the game appears late on the Xbox360. Ubisoft perhaps overestimated the sales potential of Rayman on the PS360 at the time. As a result WiiU still has the best selling version of Rayman, but sales are awful compared to the two respectable sales of LCU and MH3U which were sold around the same time. With this move Ubisoft hurt themselves and the WiiU as a platform:(

they didnt overestimate anything. I seriously doubt that WIi u would have covered the combine sales for PS360, PC, vita. and its nto the best selling version. that goes to PS3

They did, this game is BOMBA. We'll probably see it in the garbage bargain bin for 10€ in a few weeks again (just like the first time around). Seems you are right with PS3 being the best selling version at 20k (!) though. Of course I have no way to prove it, but looking at the sales of Lego City Undercover and the western sales of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate I'm 100% sure this game would have whopped 40k sales in its first week this spring (which still would have been BOMBA territory at the time.) Oh well, at least the game is good.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
oniyide said:
KHlover said:
burninmylight said:

It wouldn't have to cover the combine sales. People who wanted it on another console could have just waited. People who wanted it immediately could get it for Wii U. Timing is everything, and Rayman in February or March when there's not a lot else going on sounds more enticing than Rayman in September, when there are crap ton of big games coming out at the same time and in the near future.

timing does help, im not going to lie. BUT what was stopping those people from getting it NOW? Yes there are bigger games coming out i suppose, but would they not have gotten those games anyway? Just take the money that you would have used in March or whenever and hold it for Sept.

Ubisoft messed up Legends from the go, right from the beginning. Lets be real here. Announcing it as an EXCLUSIVE to a system that hadnt even been released yet and has not proven itself? Stupid. Even if they thought that the WIi U would take off like the WIi the Origins for WIi sold worst than PS3 and 360 versions. So its not like the game was a big hit on WIi, but thats Ubi being silly trying to take advantage of early adopters like they always do, which the damn game got delayed anyway. Stupid.

So now its in Feb? crappy time to release anything, they should have been working on a multiplats from when it got first delayed.Stupid,

Got delayed again, to compete with games that will slaughter it, its multiplat but doesnt really matter at this point. WIi U version got delayed, stupid. Didnt want to spend money on extra ads? then dont release the WIi U version then when others come do ads for ALL the systems, so it would have been a double launch.

Blood_Tears said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

You suggest Wii U cant sale 3rd party games yet it sold best on Wii U and that translates into I never said it had to sale better. Keep spinning it.

LOL   I don't need to spin it. I just have to look at Ubi's game of ZombieU which didn't make any profit and had a sequel canned. I'm looking at Splinter Cell, Batman, ME3 etc. I'm not trying to hate on the Wii U and I will eventually get one when X launches but seriously, everyone needs to drop the defensiveness. Numbers don't lie, drop the delusional glasses.

I cannot take anyone seriously who uses ME3 as a point as to why the Wii U can't sell third party games. ME3's sales on Wii U simply prove that Wii U owners aren't blithering idiots. (not a slight against the game or its fans, but how EA chose to... i guess the word we can use is market, though that really isn't what happened... the game on Wii U)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

oniyide said:
tbone51 said:
oniyide said:
archer9234 said:
Sal.Paradise said:

I can't believe you guys think it would've been better to release it in the Spring. As if it'd be doing better with months fewer pre orders and without the platforms that currently count for over half its sales.

I think pissing the fanbase off was more of a issue, than trying to sell it across 3 systems. VS making people happy and doing it on one as planned. Then port the game later if they wanted to. The people that buy your game is the most important. It's foolish to annoy people.

yeah but the fanbase isnt really on the WIi U, judging by the sales of the that version versus hte others. Nothing wrong with wanting to have your game get as much audience as possible. Game should never have been exclusive to begin with.

they should of released the game on WiiU back in Feb, it got like 20k sales while pre orders back then were over 30k, people got turned off about 6 month delay (to port it to other platforms) and lots of people dropped their pre orders. It was ok to make it multi plat but Ubisoft shot themselves in the foot especially wen their were no wiiu games yet, now everybody saving their money on other nintendo games or spending money on GTA5 for Ex!

if people were really interested in the game then a delay should not have mattered, especially if they preordered it, if they did that they must have been confident in their purchase. Games get delayed all the time, hell GTA5 was supposed to been come out, but im not seeing a lot of backlash for that.

Delays can too matter big time.

Let's say your stranded on a deserted island in the middle of the ocean alone.  Then one day a woman washes up on shore.  Doesn't matter if you don't find her that attractive your still going to be happy and hit that.

But lets say instead like 5 women wash up on to shore.  Your going to go after the ones you find more attractive first and may or may not ever get to that one girl who you woudl have jumped at few months prior.

That's what a delay can do for something like this game.  A lot of people, myself included probably are passing on this game because we are using our 'limited' resources on other more attractive games that are coming out soon or did recenntly.  Thus Rayman gets ignored for another day at best.  And Ubisoft doesn't relaly care that it might get my $20, 6 months from now, it wants its $60 now.  

I guess this goes to show that just cause you put it on PS3 and 360 doesnt mean it wil be a sucess. This game was advertised as a Wii U exclusive, it was built with the Wii U and gamepad in mind as its very obvious from the gameplay. It was a dick move to think cosumers are that dumb.

They turned a moderate hit in a monumental failure. Well done Ubisoft excs... well done.