By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese sales.... I can see why developers get a little gun shy

well i think it should change but right now third party games arent selling to well in japan

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:
@ fishyjoe

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but if you check the game sales totals for japan, you would see that NO third party wii games have sold a half million copies (though dragon warrior is about to)

Yes, I counted dragon quest which is above 499,130, sue me! Mario & Sonic is third party made by Sega.

Ok, let me restate everything

Attachment ratio is very important if hardware developers want to attract software developers. People who make games want them to have the best chance of selling as possible.

So, with that in mind, let's look at the japanese attachment rate for 3 of the big consoles (psp, ps3, wii):

for the psp, the console has been on the market for three years. It came out right around the same time at the ds. Yet the ds attachment rate is 4.5/1 in japan and the psp is something like 1.7/1.
How do you convince a japanese based company to release a game for your system when the sales are so low in japan? Once again, it's been 3 years, it's not like the system just hit the market. My point being that it's a very unstable market for japan based developers.

For the wii, the nintendo sells about 2x as many consoles in US as in japan. But, most weeks (unlike the first week brawl was released), the US sees 4x the software sales.

ALL I'M SAYING, is it's a crappy time to be a japanese based software developer (the isn't nintendo).

@ fishyjoe

haha, ok you win that round.

though to be fair, the only reason mario and sonic sold was because of the word "mario."
.... but it did sell all the same.

THE DS SAYS HI!

Around the Network

You do realize that revenue for the video game industry in Japan set a record and rose 10% in 2007 from 2006.

You realize Japan isn't as big as America?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@ mr fish

That also has to do with the number of major consoles on the market. I understand that games are selling. But the numbers don't lie. The average psp owner in japan, after the system being on the market for 3 years, owns fewer then 2 games.

@ outlawuron

Size has nothing to do with attachment ratio. It's not that fewer systems are selling in japan, it's that the ratio of systems sold to games sold is FAR weaker in japan than the US in the case of those 3 consoles.

Point of Fact: Mario & Sonic is released by Nintendo in Japan. So its first party there.

Point of Fact: the Wii has is sold without a pack-in game in Japan, so all games must be counted (regardless of extras included or price) when calculating "attach" rates.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV