By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog: 120 More PS4 Devkits

FrancisNobleman said:
I thought the uncharted cut scenes were in-game real time, not pre rendered in devkit farms...

couldn't tell the difference between cutscene and gameplay gfx, really. And I went through all the UC and also TLOU

Really? There was a massive difference. For a start whenever it was pre-rendered, it went to a black screen for a second.

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
FrancisNobleman said:
I thought the uncharted cut scenes were in-game real time, not pre rendered in devkit farms...

couldn't tell the difference between cutscene and gameplay gfx, really. And I went through all the UC and also TLOU

Really? There was a massive difference. For a start whenever it was pre-rendered, it went to a black screen for a second.

To add onto this, the reason why Francis could not tell the difference was because of the high quality video the Blu ray disks enable. It is a huge time saver for PS3 developers who want their games to look as good as possible. Just render in engine cutscenes on rigs more powerful than a single ps3 and turn them into videos. Why did games like LA Noire and FF13 ship on several disks? It was because of the in game cutscenes taking up so much space, and even then for 360, both of those games cutscenes had to be severely degraded(although FF13 was the worst offender). This is why FF13-2 was only one disk on 360, because they switched to real time rendering for everything besides the CGI opening and ending. 

Of course real time rendering also has some drawbacks, hence FF13-2 actually suffering in performance in comparison to the first game for both systems. Square's Crystal tools engine was not built for strenuous tasks like real time rendering outside of strictly managed gameplay sections.

For these that are asking the size of ND... a GAFer said that LinkedIn lists "201-500".

Wow, that's an insane amount. Surely they're working on 3 games or more now. Did The last of us end open for a sequel?

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Wow, that's an insane amount. Surely they're working on 3 games or more now. Did The last of us end open for a sequel?

Non spoiler answer: the world Naughty Dog created is so vast and amazing that it's bound to contain more to explore.

Spoiler Answer: sequel would work out just perfectly.

This shipment is probably for the Last of Us team as they finish the game DLC and move on to PS4.

meh i dont care if they have 1 or 10000000 dev kits as long as they keep those great games coming.

What, they are giving every Naughty Dog worker their own dev kit?

That's their test xbone devkit. :D