By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog: 120 More PS4 Devkits

Madword said:

No you don't 120 dev kits to create a proper game. You can develop with a very small number of dev kits. It just depends on what you intend to do with them. 3rd parties have to pay for devkits and so generally have a smaller number of dev kits (and the rest would be test kits I believe). This company is owned by Sony so I guess everyone could be given devkits rather than a mix. Though I don't know if there is a difference on PS4 this time.

Further up someone suggested they connect their consoles together to rendering and rendering farm... so cutscenes etc can be done on a farm of consoles rather than a server/PC's.

Has nothing to do with the stability of devkits :)

Just to add...

Third-party devs works in PC first and after that run the code in the devkit for test... so all the code and development is made using a PC... first-party devs develops directly on devkits... their workstation for work is a devkit (devkits come with Windows + Visual Studio + etc).

The devkit is a PS4 with upped specs to run the Windows, DevTools, and the Game to debbug/test.

Around the Network
orniletter said:

RROD like problems for the PS4 confirmed !
Seriously though, why do they need 120 more ?

Maybe for the team that made The Last of Us. It could be that now they are starting their new game.

And just to point... they received MORE 120 devkits... they already have a good batch of them before.

Impressive. They're just like Oprah with these things. "You get a dev kit, you get a dev kit, every employee including security guys gets a dev kit!"

JoeTheBro said:
Impressive. They're just like Oprah with these things. "You get a dev kit, you get a dev kit, every employee including security guys gets a dev kit!"

Well in my company every employee receives a workstation machine... I use mine to development but my manager uses for Excel sheets

Around the Network

I think ND is going to make 3 games at a time now.

Rafux said:

It all makes sense now. Sony made a deal with them!

"For every successful IP after UC2, we give you enough $$$ for a new team"

pfft they could just rent out azures like pixar does.

Remember, ICE Team is a part of Naughty Dog. They're one of World Wide Studio's core technology teams, they do a lot of work with other first party developers and with third party developers.

Aldro said:
Rafux said:

It all makes sense now. Sony made a deal with them!

"For every successful IP after UC2, we give you enough $$$ for a new team"

I don't understand what you wrote but I think ND is now the Uncharted team, Last of Us team and New IP team.