By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Wii U meet average Nintendo HW/SW sales?

VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
I think it could get in between the SNES and N64.

Thats what I think too, about 40m.

Whats ur guess on software?

I'm not sure, though I think it'll be lower due to the rise of digital sales.

Lower than what? Give me numbers on certain franchises

Super Smash Bros., I don't think that it can sell as well, maybe up to 5 million. Mario Kart 8, maybe 6 million.

Interesting, u think Wii U will sell between N64 and SNES which 40m is pretty much right in the middle yet u think the games will sell less than GC counterparts and that console sold just over 20m.

That's because I'm only counting physical sales, which I think will hurt its sales overall compared to the other games.

how about digital sales?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:
I think it could get in between the SNES and N64.

Thats what I think too, about 40m.

Whats ur guess on software?

I'm not sure, though I think it'll be lower due to the rise of digital sales.

Lower than what? Give me numbers on certain franchises

Super Smash Bros., I don't think that it can sell as well, maybe up to 5 million. Mario Kart 8, maybe 6 million.

Interesting, u think Wii U will sell between N64 and SNES which 40m is pretty much right in the middle yet u think the games will sell less than GC counterparts and that console sold just over 20m.

That's because I'm only counting physical sales, which I think will hurt its sales overall compared to the other games.

how about digital sales?

I don't know, unless VGChartz starts tracking digital sales, I won't include it into my predictions.

Getting to SNES levels is pretty freaking tough.

The SNES had tons of third party support and less competetion along with a full year exclusive on Street Fighter II, which was the equivalent to CoD (ie: the "must have" third party/action game) of its time.

Even the N64 will be quite tough ... Mario 64, GoldenEye, Zelda: OoT, Mario Kart 64 ... I doubt the strongest four Wii U games can match up to those heavy hitters. Three of those games changed the industry and MK64 was a monster.

Topping the GameCube is the Wii U's best bet.

In general too I think all three of Sony/MS/Nintendo are going to have to deal with a declining market this generation, or perhaps more accurately a "normalizing" market. Last gen in a lot of ways I think was a bumper generation that isn't repeatable (no HD transition, no killer new control interfaces).

Nintendo is going to have to work their butts off to get userbase this generation, there is no free lunch in this industry, if their attitude is "we should have at least 30 million owners because we're Nintendo, now buy whatever we put out" ... nuh uh. They gotta step their game up big time with their decision making, marketing, and even games like the Marios/Zeldas ... you cannot assume people will just buy them in big numbers just because. There has to be ideas in those games that are fresh and interesting and the execution and presentation have to be well done.

Soundwave said:

"we should have at least 30 million owners because we're Nintendo, now buy whatever we put out"

what makes u think that there attitude?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

"we should have at least 30 million owners because we're Nintendo, now buy whatever we put out"

what makes u think that there attitude?

Lack of marketing, lack of planning, lack of a company-wide focus and leadership (how many apologies has Iwata given in the last 2-3 years?) thus far stand out like pretty obvious sore thumbs.

With both the 3DS and Wii U I think they thought they could just show up to the dance and not have to do any dirty work because last generation they were able to get some nice sales.

There's no way you can tell me they've been anything close to sharp the last 3-4 years, they've just kinda coasted and it's gotten them into a lot of trouble. With the 3DS at least they hit the panic button. 

Success in this business is a lot of hard work, it's digging down and actually marketing and really busting your ass on software, I think quite frankly they success of the Wii/DS interfaces gave Nintendo the impression that you just need a novelty and that does most of the work of selling a hardware platform. Nope.

NSMBU for example is a decent game, but really is that the best Mario game they could've made with 3 years of dev time? Hell no. That's not Nintendo pushing themselves at all, that's Nintendo figuring they had 10-20 million sales in the bag so why push any harder.

It's like a great athlete that's just sorta going through the motions pushing themselves at 60-70% at most. Where's the effort with utilizing the Game Pad either? Mario Kart uses it as a giant horn, which is sorta embarrassing, again I think they thought "well Nintendo Land shows off the controller, so that's good enough".  If you're trying to sell the system pretty much entirely around a controller, then where are the games that actually even use it in any interesting way?

Around the Network

I'm wondering if nintendo will play the console war for 10 full years just like the ps4/xbone because they could either have a miracle to meet that average or drop even further.

Another example of not putting in enough effort -- Nintendo sold 250 million hardware units last generation and made a pretty profit off each one, not to mention enough money from software to fill Scrooge McDuck's vault.

So why is such a taboo to spend a few freaking bucks on your first year software lineup (especially since you're not bothering to spend anything on marketing and even slashing things like an E3 conference)? A few dollars can't be spared to ensure a healthy launch for a product that's going to be half your company's lifeblood for the next 5-6 years?

Offer to pay for a Megaman U game. Finance an action or shooter game from one of the multitude of Western devs. Factor 5 was begging for Nintendo's help, you can't tell me a Star Wars Rogue Squadron IV that actually shows off the Wii U's chipset potential in March or April of this year wouldn't have filled the drought nicely. How about a Zelda/Soul Calibur cross-over fighting game using the existing Soul Calibur V engine?

No one's asking for something crazy like spending a bazillion dollars for GTAV or something, these types of projects would likely cost Nintendo not much at all. Wouldn't it have been worth it to save themselves such headaches later on? It's like spending $100,000 on a car, loading it up with survival gear, and then refusing to overspend on gasoline and ending up getting stuck in the middle of dumbf__k nowhere because you thought half a tank of gas was good enough.

C'mon Nintendo. Especially if they could cajole Capcom to give Monster Hunter exclusivity to the 3DS... why doesn't the Wii U have it's own equivalent deal with a third party capable of moving hardware? And no, home Monster Hunter doesn't cut it, everyone knows home MH games sell a fraction of the handheld ones and a 1080p upport of a handheld game is even worse for sales impact.

Soundwave said:

Another example of not putting in enough effort -- Nintendo sold 250 million hardware units last generation and made a pretty profit off each one, not to mention enough money from software to fill Scrooge McDuck's vault.

So why is such a taboo to spend a few freaking bucks on your first year software lineup (especially since you're not bothering to spend anything on marketing and even slashing things like an E3 conference)? A few dollars can't be spared to ensure a healthy launch for a product that's going to be half your company's lifeblood for the next 5-6 years?

Offer to pay for a Megaman U game. Finance an action or shooter game from one of the multitude of Western devs. Factor 5 was begging for Nintendo's help, you can't tell me a Star Wars Rogue Squadron IV that actually shows off the Wii U's chipset potential in March or April of this year wouldn't have filled the drought nicely. How about a Zelda/Soul Calibur cross-over fighting game using the existing Soul Calibur V engine?

No one's asking for something crazy like spending a bazillion dollars for GTAV or something, these types of projects would likely cost Nintendo not much at all. Wouldn't it have been worth it to save themselves such headaches later on? It's like spending $100,000 on a car, loading it up with survival gear, and then refusing to overspend on gasoline and ending up getting stuck in the middle of dumbf__k nowhere because you thought half a tank of gas was good enough.

C'mon Nintendo. Especially if they could cajole Capcom to give Monster Hunter exclusivity to the 3DS... why doesn't the Wii U have it's own equivalent deal with a third party capable of moving hardware? And no, home Monster Hunter doesn't cut it, everyone knows home MH games sell a fraction of the handheld ones and a 1080p upport of a handheld game is even worse for sales impact.

I guess nintendo was trying to pull a microsoft on the ps3 when it wasn't out yet but nintendo forgot one crucial element and that was 3rd party support and to that nintendo failed miserably when attempting to pull it off LOL.