By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft respond to the EDGE article

Ofcourse ms is going to be bashed when they do the same terrible pr again and again releasing the same statements. You have a product out their, let it do the job, stop acting so defensive.

Around the Network
landguy1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Definitely. Microsoft is so obsessed with beating Sony that they give away every weakness.

Your obsession with trying to prove that Sony is better than M$ and M$ is "obsessed" with beating Sony is borderline fanatical.

The fact that you believe that M$ finds Sony to be their main competition is the unfortunate part of this whole thing.  Sure, it is important for M$ to be sucessful in the gaming arena, as it fits into the bigger puzzle for them.  Would M$ like it if the PS4 was a failure - probably.  M$'s competition is Google/Apple.  If Sony even puts out another Playstation after this, it will not have their operating system.  It will more than likely be an Android/Chrome OS.  The next gen systems if they even happen will only be supported if they are on an OS that developers are already developing on.  M$ is trying to maintain some level of relevence with all of their OS's being compatible to each other.  If M$ sells 50 million XB1s they will have been succesful.  That's 50 million people using their xbox music/movies/apps + the hundreds of millions of people running windows.  That is what M$ is after.  That's why they revealed the XB1 and hardly talked about games.  Sure, they would love it if you and the other 30 million core gamers around the world fell in love with their system, but they don't need them to.  MS isn't worried aout Sony being in the business of media portal, they have already given up that opportunity when they didn't succeed in taking their install base of the PS3 and turning it into a full fledged portal for it's users.  The PS4 will outsell the XB1 and probably by a good margin unless M$ comes up with some fad game around the kinect that propels the XB1 like the Wii.   In 5-7 years, Sony will still be Sony.  They will produce hardware that runs everyone elses software/music/games.  IF M$ is lucky, the xbox store will have taken hold and they will have put themselves in position to stick around long term.

LOL I have no idea what you're so afraid of. You really need to brush up on your gaming history. If Sony didn't corner the multimedia and OS market Microsoft would never have come to the gaming industry. Microsoft tried to partner up with them because they had dominated the gaming industry and amassed a great marketshare, but Sony turned them down. They vowed to stop Sony and "save the PC market" from Sony.  Bullshit...MS wanted to be chummy, chummy with them because they were dominating the console race and wanted to be associated with them. 

Read this Joachim Kemper spoke out about his time at Microsoft and his relationship with Steve Balmer, describing him as a "bully" and why MS is in the gaming industry.

"Speaking with IGN, Kempin now states that the only reason Microsoft entered the console market was to challenge Sony head-on, suggesting that there is some bad blood between both parties. The decision – he says – came directly from Bill Gates himself."

“Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft’s friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have co-operated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know?

“I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said ‘well, we have to beat them, so let’s do our own.’”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/07/microsoft%E2%80%99s-entered-the-console-race-to-stop-sony-claims-former-exec/

Their one aim...their one goal is to crush Sony. They could lose profit and would still come after them because Sony refused to be their "friend". It hurts Microsoft to their very core that a company like Sony could outsmart them and this is why they rushed the 360 to beat them to the market this gen and this is why they are scrambling to save this somehow unimportant power differential to save their perception issues. Tell me, have you ever seen a company scramble so hard to get back at Sony? Wait...oh yeah...Sega.

P.S.

Kempin has released a book about his time working for Microsoft. I am going to read it, I think you should as well.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
landguy1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Definitely. Microsoft is so obsessed with beating Sony that they give away every weakness.

Your obsession with trying to prove that Sony is better than M$ and M$ is "obsessed" with beating Sony is borderline fanatical.

The fact that you believe that M$ finds Sony to be their main competition is the unfortunate part of this whole thing.  Sure, it is important for M$ to be sucessful in the gaming arena, as it fits into the bigger puzzle for them.  Would M$ like it if the PS4 was a failure - probably.  M$'s competition is Google/Apple.  If Sony even puts out another Playstation after this, it will not have their operating system.  It will more than likely be an Android/Chrome OS.  The next gen systems if they even happen will only be supported if they are on an OS that developers are already developing on.  M$ is trying to maintain some level of relevence with all of their OS's being compatible to each other.  If M$ sells 50 million XB1s they will have been succesful.  That's 50 million people using their xbox music/movies/apps + the hundreds of millions of people running windows.  That is what M$ is after.  That's why they revealed the XB1 and hardly talked about games.  Sure, they would love it if you and the other 30 million core gamers around the world fell in love with their system, but they don't need them to.  MS isn't worried aout Sony being in the business of media portal, they have already given up that opportunity when they didn't succeed in taking their install base of the PS3 and turning it into a full fledged portal for it's users.  The PS4 will outsell the XB1 and probably by a good margin unless M$ comes up with some fad game around the kinect that propels the XB1 like the Wii.   In 5-7 years, Sony will still be Sony.  They will produce hardware that runs everyone elses software/music/games.  IF M$ is lucky, the xbox store will have taken hold and they will have put themselves in position to stick around long term.

LOL I have no idea what you're so afraid of. You really need to brush up on your gaming history. If Sony didn't corner the multimedia and OS market Microsoft would never have come to the gaming industry. Microsoft tried to partner up with them because they had dominated the gaming industry and amassed a great marketshare, but Sony turned them down. They vowed to stop Sony and "save the PC market" from Sony.  Bullshit...MS wanted to be chummy, chummy with them because they were dominating the console race and wanted to be associated with them. 

Read this Joachim Kemper spoke out about his time at Microsoft and his relationship with Steve Balmer, describing him as a "bully" and why MS is in the gaming industry.

"Speaking with IGN, Kempin now states that the only reason Microsoft entered the console market was to challenge Sony head-on, suggesting that there is some bad blood between both parties. The decision – he says – came directly from Bill Gates himself."

“Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft’s friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have co-operated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know?

“I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said ‘well, we have to beat them, so let’s do our own.’”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/07/microsoft%E2%80%99s-entered-the-console-race-to-stop-sony-claims-former-exec/

Their one aim...their one goal is to crush Sony. They could lose profit and would still come after them because Sony refused to be their "friend". It hurts Microsoft to their very core that a company like Sony could outsmart them and this is why they rushed the 360 to beat them to the market this gen and this is why they are scrambling to save this somehow unimportant power differential to save their perception issues. Tell me, have you ever seen a company scramble so hard to get back at Sony? Wait...oh yeah...Sega.

You actually made my point.  M$ recognized they needed to be in the console space for their long term goals.  If Sony won't partner with them they had to do something.  That was then.  Google and Apple were nothing back then.  In 2013, Sony is still a hardware company.  M$ only manufactures hardware to advace in areas that they can't make the right alliance to do so.  Do you really think that M$ sits in meetings and says "let's get Sony"?  They spend their time on how to get more penetration of their pay systems.  Of course they need to be sucessful in gaming, as it is hooked up to the TV.  Do they need to be 1st? No, not when your the only other person that can outsell you is not in your core business.  Based on the information that you posted above from 10 yrs ago, which is not obviously really relevent today, M$ would probably only be happier when they prove to Sony they should have partnered together for the long term.

landguy1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You actually made my point.  M$ recognized they needed to be in the console space for their long term goals.  If Sony won't partner with them they had to do something.  That was then.  Google and Apple were nothing back then.  In 2013, Sony is still a hardware company.  M$ only manufactures hardware to advace in areas that they can't make the right alliance to do so.  Do you really think that M$ sits in meetings and says "let's get Sony"?  They spend their time on how to get more penetration of their pay systems.  Of course they need to be sucessful in gaming, as it is hooked up to the TV.  Do they need to be 1st? No, not when your the only other person that can outsell you is not in your core business.  Based on the information that you posted above from 10 yrs ago, which is not obviously really relevent today, M$ would probably only be happier when they prove to Sony they should have partnered together for the long term.

Yes...I really do think Microsoft sits in meetings saying "lets get Sony". I've read up enough of the history on how the Xbox was made to come to this conclusion. Nintendo's fued with Sony has more relevance because it was a failed business venture where Sony was left out in the cold in front of everyone at CES. The brainchilds of the Xbox wanted to make a videogame system out of a clear love for gaming and suggested Microsoft shoudl expand. Microsoft was about to turn them down until they saw Sony as a threat to the PC multimedia and OS market. They didn't save the PC market from a thing, they actually took the light away from PC gaming and shed it upon console gaming, leaving PC gaming in darkness only to rise again because of Valve with Steam. 

As for Sony feeling bad for not partnering with them, the only reason they probably should've is for fear of being bullied. Microsoft can outsmart Sony with OS, but with hardware, thats their funeral. The smartest thing Sony could ever do with Microsoft breathing down their neck is to think about profitability. Luckily the PS4 will profit wayyyyyy earlier than the PS3 did. 

Have anyone forgot that MS is always interested in dominating a market as close as monopolistic as possible??? If Sony didn't bend and let them in, them they will try to smash them, like they done to Netscape.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Have anyone forgot that MS is always interested in dominating a market as close as monopolistic as possible??? If Sony didn't bend and let them in, them they will try to smash them, like they done to Netscape.

Exactly. Even if Sony partnered up with them something would've gone wrong.

One thing for sure MS tried to get Sony out of the gaming war with the Xbox 360 and their money. Buying exclusives, releasing the Xbox 360 while Sony was still not ready for the next gen. Selling the 360 cheaper each time Sony would do a price cut (until the Slim came out). If not for the slim (specially for the PS3 Slim) and for system sellers such as (God of war, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, The last of US) , MS would have crush Sony.
That is why this coming GEN Sony didn't leave much to chance and Microsoft got comfortable because currently they own US big time.
And this is just my opinion, I believe that Sony was planning on doing the DRM thing and online stuff too cause there is no way Microsoft was crazy enough to be the only one to do that. And when Sony saw the reaction of the gamers, they made themselves look like the savior of gaming...

riecsou said:
One thing for sure MS tried to get Sony out of the gaming war with the Xbox 360 and their money. Buying exclusives, releasing the Xbox 360 while Sony was still not ready for the next gen. Selling the 360 cheaper each time Sony would do a price cut (until the Slim came out). If not for the slim (specially for the PS3 Slim) and for system sellers such as (God of war, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear, The last of US) , MS would have crush Sony.
That is why this coming GEN Sony didn't leave much to chance and Microsoft got comfortable because currently they own US big time.
And this is just my opinion, I believe that Sony was planning on doing the DRM thing and online stuff too cause there is no way Microsoft was crazy enough to be the only one to do that. And when Sony saw the reaction of the gamers, they made themselves look like the savior of gaming...

It's clear that Sony were in a bad position with the PS3 and are in a sorry financial state launching the PS4, due to the competition of MS and Nintendo. Blaming that fully on MS is ignoring the obvious bad business decisions made by Sony and if anything, MS showed them mercy when they could have easily continued cutting the price of the 360 and buying up games which Sony would never have been able to match. In hindsight MS spent just enough for the 360 to gain critical mass and become profitable where Sony continues to throw money at big production exclusives, money they don't have.

Let us consider that outside of fan flamewars, MS and Sony are partners with Sony's Vaio products being amongst the most prestigious Windows competitors agains Apple, and that even the Xbox sells Sony music and movie content as well as Sony's Crackle product. Let us also consider that MS has been convicted of monopoly more than once and it would not look good for them to be dumping product and sending a competitor out of the market.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
daredevil.shark said:
It seems they are giving up. Compared to their recent PR responses this was weakest. I was expecting more aggressive comment.

Hard to be aggressive when a lot of sources basically say the same thing. They should just keep quiet about power, like they did with the 360. Even though it was weaker, the PS3 didn't just completely destroy it. Despite the bigger advantage for Sony this time, they should just pump out those games and let all else be.

Exactly.

Microsoft is losing the perception war and launching a system with less power at a higher price, and feels it ism impacting sales.  So, they had been trying to talk about power doesn't really matter and so on, and it hasn't been working well at all.  

Has there been a case of a less powerful system outselling a more powerful one at a higher price point?

TheSting said:
richardhutnik said:
TheSting said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SxyxS said:
complex hardware-but easy to develop???

near final hardware? maybe they refer to the clock-speed up.

This. Microsoft is full of shit. If MS didn't know their tech wasn't as good they wouldn't have been scrambling to catch up in power to Sony. Nice try to change the PR though.

They May be but don't worry it's still going to sell lol. I see a lot of posters that I swear I trying to get ppl to switch to their system of choice. Slick ways of saying bogus shit and all. Well it won't work ladies. This thing is going to sell a lot. 

Less power + $100 more + ? = More sales than PS4 how?  Kinect 2.0?  or is it Ryse or Forza?

WTF? Where did I write that? Where? & tell me is all your "power" going to stop anyone from enjoying their Xbox?

On here, the debate on VGChartz has been about which system is going to sell more.  SO, when I see what was written there, I was curious what about the XBOX ONE's strong points are going to end up causing it to outsell the PS4.  I wouldn't deny strong sales early as the EBayers, and Microsoft hardcore jump in.  That will happen.  Even the WiiU did strong early.  It is after this initial rush I have to wonder about that will push it to do so.