By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung: Next-Gen Galaxy Will Have 64-Bit Processor

Vetteman94 said:
disolitude said:
BloodyRain said:
BasilZero said:
BloodyRain said:
Seriously, I get the A7, but what the hell does a 64bit do on mobiles?

More RAM. Improvements in visuals, loading times, makes the CPU run more smoothly, etc.

Well then huzzah for 64bit!

Yeah your smartphone was severly limited by 4GB of ram before 64 bits came and saved the day...

Here is a question for Samsung. Do they plan on running Android on this new Galaxy? Cause as far as I know, Androids run-time library is 32 bit. LOLz.

I thought Jelly Bean was already 64 bit.  But considering both Qualcomm and Samsung are working on 64 bit CPUs, if it isnt already I would assume Google will be making it 64 bit.

Yes, of course we can expect that. It is not surprising that 64 bit will come.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

According to my knowledge the 5S *has* NFC. And the fingerprint sensor? Really? With this your "password" is all over the phone! To me an absolutely useless feature in terms of "security".

source? Apple has NOT used NFC yet.

I believe I said IF Apple makes fingerprint work well it could be cool and it has to be biometric not just scanned, so I don't think they can steal your finger print without your finger.

superchunk said:
walsufnir said:

According to my knowledge the 5S *has* NFC. And the fingerprint sensor? Really? With this your "password" is all over the phone! To me an absolutely useless feature in terms of "security".

source? Apple has NOT used NFC yet.

I believe I said IF Apple makes fingerprint work well it could be cool and it has to be biometric not just scanned, so I don't think they can steal your finger print without your finger.

No the new iPhones dont have NFC.

Also I dont see the fingerprint scanner becoming anything more than another gimmick that Apple pushes.  Motorola already had a phone with a fingerprint scanner, the Atrix 4G I believe, and it didnt amount to anything.  

Vetteman94 said:

Also I dont see the fingerprint scanner becoming anything more than another gimmick that Apple pushes.  Motorola already had a phone with a fingerprint scanner, the Atrix 4G I believe, and it didnt amount to anything.  

I knew iPhones don't have NFC, just baiting mr walsufnir to provide a source I know he doesn't have.

Atrix as well as the palm phone before it that both tried fingerprint scanning did so to only unlock the phone. Additionally the placement and style of the scanners was not well done.

Apple is actually putting some effort into making it usable and of value. Its right in the obvious position within the home button so ease of use is perfect. Its also for more than just unlocking phone as its being touted as a universal pw for apps within the system. That is something Motorola couldn't even try back then as Google had/has no SDK in Android for this type of scanner so Moto couldn't sync its usage to important apps like the storefront, email and pictures.

This is why I'm curious to see how well it works (maps proves they don't always do it well) and how well its received by consumers. If done well, I could see a usecase for it.

It means android working with 64 bits architecture =D

We are getting closer to android PC

Around the Network

It's just an arms race now. I think smartphones (and to a lesser degree tablets) are now overshooting the market with the specs. It's more for bragging rights than anything it'll do to enhance user experience.

superchunk said:
Vetteman94 said:

I knew iPhones don't have NFC, just baiting mr walsufnir to provide a source I know he doesn't have.

Atrix as well as the palm phone before it that both tried fingerprint scanning did so to only unlock the phone. Additionally the placement and style of the scanners was not well done.

Apple is actually putting some effort into making it usable and of value. Its right in the obvious position within the home button so ease of use is perfect. Its also for more than just unlocking phone as its being touted as a universal pw for apps within the system. That is something Motorola couldn't even try back then as Google had/has no SDK in Android for this type of scanner so Moto couldn't sync its usage to important apps like the storefront, email and pictures.

This is why I'm curious to see how well it works (maps proves they don't always do it well) and how well its received by consumers. If done well, I could see a usecase for it.

Not sure how reliable this is but:

http://www.citeworld.com/security/22399/iphone-fingerprint-scanner-better-biometrics

Apple seems to be bypassing NFC entirely in favour of Bluetooth 4.0 which allows rather similar functionality.  Witness the new passwordless pairing method for the Apple TV: touch the Apple TV with your iPhone and it syncs over Bluetooth and iCloud, no NFC needed.

ebw said:

Not sure how reliable this is but:

http://www.citeworld.com/security/22399/iphone-fingerprint-scanner-better-biometrics

Apple seems to be bypassing NFC entirely in favour of Bluetooth 4.0 which allows rather similar functionality.  Witness the new passwordless pairing method for the Apple TV: touch the Apple TV with your iPhone and it syncs over Bluetooth and iCloud, no NFC needed.

That's definitely not NFC and technically not the same thing.

When iPhone has wireless charging systems or usage as a digital wallet to buy directly via the smartpass systems, then we're talking.

Biggest point to the NFC system is the "near field" portion as it requires a close almost direct physical contact. Something that adds a level of security.

superchunk said:
Vetteman94 said:

There is no "baiting" - I thought I read it at engadget. But who cares anyway about NFC.

superchunk said:
ebw said:

That's definitely not NFC and technically not the same thing.

When iPhone has wireless charging systems or usage as a digital wallet to buy directly via the smartpass systems, then we're talking.

Biggest point to the NFC system is the "near field" portion as it requires a close almost direct physical contact. Something that adds a level of security.

I never said the iPhone has NFC, that was someone else.  Don't make the mistake of assuming the pairing operates at the full range of Bluetooth.  It depends on an accelerometer spike synchronized with a timed signal (kind of like the old Bump app), so it also effectively requires physical contact.  And it works on a pretty wide range of iPhones.