By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Happy 15th birthday, Spyro.

Kresnik said:

I was mostly kidding with the first line, but I do find it a shame that you don't like the soundtrack because the Spyro games genuinely have some of my favourite video game songs of all time.

And hell, I love the Banjo Kazooie soundtrack, but I don't think it holds a candle to Spyro!

I promise to use headphones the next time I start them on the Vita (when I get one this Fall) maybe  the less than stellar PSP speakers didn´t do the soundtrack justice ?

Which game is the best ? I heard that the third is supposed to be better than the rest.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
Kresnik said:

I was mostly kidding with the first line, but I do find it a shame that you don't like the soundtrack because the Spyro games genuinely have some of my favourite video game songs of all time.

And hell, I love the Banjo Kazooie soundtrack, but I don't think it holds a candle to Spyro!

I promise to use headphones the next time I start them on the Vita (when I get one this Fall) maybe  the less than stellar PSP speakers didn´t do the soundtrack justice ?

Which game is the best ? I heard that the third is supposed to be better than the rest.

I agree with that, but you should really play them in order. The third thrashes the rest however.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:

Yeah... no. The soundtrack is minimalistic and doesn't really have catchy tunes. It always feels more like there's some music in the background while it's not integral to the overall experience.

Highly disagree.  Aside from possibly the hub worlds in Spyro 2 which seemed to go for minimalistic background music, I think that all of the first 3 games are littered with "catchy tunes"; which also help to set the tone for the level, making them integral to the overall experience.

RolStoppable said:
Kresnik said:
orniletter said:

the music is shit though

I'm going to choose to beleive that you're saying to to troll me because you're aware that I believe that the first 3 Spyro games have 3 of the best soundtracks in the whole of videogaming.

Genuinely.  No other games come close for me.  Stewart Copeland is a musical genius.

Yeah... no. The soundtrack is minimalistic and doesn't really have catchy tunes. It always feels more like there's some music in the background while it's not integral to the overall experience.

I disagree. Spyro wouldn't be Spyro if it wasn't for the music. 

But as you said, it's that difference I guess. Spyro was the first game I ever played, and it wasn't for another 8 or so years that I played my first Nintendo game (aside from on handhelds, but I never had the sound on for that). So those tunes bring back the nostalgia in a way other games with arguably better soundtracks can. 

Something which happened this past summer, infact.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

RolStoppable said:
Kresnik said:

Highly disagree.  Aside from possibly the hub worlds in Spyro 2 which seemed to go for minimalistic background music, I think that all of the first 3 games are littered with "catchy tunes"; which also help to set the tone for the level, making them integral to the overall experience.

A difference of generations, I guess. The Spyro games were your childhood, but for me (coming off games like Super Mario Bros., Mega Man, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Star Fox), their music doesn't belong into the same ballpark. In other words, you being a clean slate back then probably accounts for the difference in perception.

Meh all of those games u listed and spyro are from my childhood, but I still think the music from spyro is just as good if not better then SMB. Not only that the voice acting is not to bad and the rhynoc grunts add to the game.