By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 15 games will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl this gen.

Erik, do you have an agenda against SSBB? You seem to be adjusting the "rules" to fit your point. You also make wild assumptions such as handheld sales equating to similar console sales, similar sales from GC to Wii despite the vastly changing install base, similar sales from PS2 to PS3 despite the vastly different install base.

Your logic is incredibly flawed because of your assumptions.

I haven't heard a good reason not to count handheld sales. I don't expect similar sales from GC to Wii or PS2 to PS3; Smash will raise 50% from 6.6M to nearly 10M; Gran Turismo will fall from 15M to about 10M. The point is to show that Brawl isn't as all-important as people make it out to be, but for me personally, I'll buy the game and love it, so I have no agenda there. And as I said, if you think part of my prediction is fluff, hold me to the parts about Galaxy, Fit and MK: Wii beating Brawl.

Most people would agree with you. I'm one of the few who expects a major fall in GTA sales this generation. I expect at least a 25% drop, and more likely a 33% or more drop, because of the loss of the casual audience.

GTA is not a "casual game" (popularity =/= casual), but the lower install base and the loss of "newness" for the franchise will contribute to sharply falling sales. However, sales falling from ~20M combined for SA, could still put the 360 version of GTAIV alone in the same range as Brawl, depending how things play out.

-- Maybe (also DS) and old and don't know its legs

The legs for NSMB, MK DS, AC:WW and Brain Training are absolutely spectacular. All will sell over 1M more copies. Some may sell 3 or 4 million more.

11. Wii Fit 1.28M
-- DOUBTFUL as cost will limit widespread purchase

Wii Fit competes with other fitness equipment and gym memberships. So cost is actually an advantage for it.

-- DOUBTFUL as SSB more popular than Kart
-- DOUBTFUL as SSB more popular than AC

No... They aren't. MK was similarly popular on Gamecube, which had a more "core" audience. On SNES, N64 and DS, MK had much higher sales. AC used to be less popular, by a lot, but AC: WW has broken that trend, selling nearly 5M in Japan alone.

Anyways, SSBB will def. sell more than 10 million. What if the Wii gets an install base of over 100 million! You think the attach ratio will only be 1 in 10??? Last time, it was over 1 in 6 with melee. This time, BRAWL is a sig. improvement and has much more hype.

WHEN Wii sells 100M (and then 150M), it will be because of the games that were different between Gamecube and Wii. So yes, attach rate should plummet, from nearly 1 in 3 on GC to 1 in 15 on Wii when it reaches 150M (for a raw sales increase of 50%). Check out attach rates on the top games on PS and PS2 versus N64, GC and XBox.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
As it see it, Erik could be right. Of course it may not be correct to compare handheld games to console games, but if one wants to answer the question Erik poses, he has to include handheld sales. First, here are my comments on all the games listed:
Erik Aston said:

And I'll name them. At least 10 of them should be pointing out the obvious.

People are exaggerating how big Brawl is going to be. Sales estimates well above 15 million, talk of how its "Nintendo's biggest franchise" or will be the "defining game on Wii." Biggest case in point: on theSimExchange, Brawl is valued above 17M in sales. At its highest, it topped 20M. 

Let me first name 12 sure bets. I guarentee that each and every one of these games will sell more than Brawl. (Sales numbers from earlier today.)

1. Wii Sports 18.52M obvious
2. Nintendogs 17.35M already higher than Smash will come
3. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 13.65M same
4. New Super Mario Bros. 13.16M same
    Super Smash Bros 64 + Melee 12.13M
5. Brain Training 11.69M will sell for ages and reach at least 15 million
6. More Brain Training 9.85M same
7. Wii Play 9.70M obvious
8. Mario Kart DS 9.45M difficult to say. I'd have to check weekly worldwide sales to know about the exact legs of this game, but it seems it won't reach much higher than eleven millions, just about the amount of copies that I expect Brawl to sell.
9. Animal Crossing: Wild World 8.90M same, with the difference that chances are smaller here just because the game's current sales are lower.
    Super Smash Bros Melee 6.58M
    Super Smash Bros 64 5.55M
10. Super Mario Galaxy 5.54M I'm still wondering where this one will end up at. 8 millions seem to be a sure bet, but how long will the weekly sales stay above 100k? How long will they stay above 50k? And, of course the most important question: will it still be ahead of Brawl when those games sell completely on legs? Because I expect them to sell about the same amount of games in their 100th or 150th week.
11. Wii Fit 1.28M this one will definitely sell more.
12. Mario Kart Wii coin flip.

And, additional games of which at least 3 will beat Brawl...

Animal Crossing Wii doubtful because of the GC version
Grand Theft Auto IV 360 I wonder how this game sells on a relatively smaller install base. until I know that, I can't say.
Subsequent GTA games for any home system same, of course.
Halo 3 7.13M obvious. People, check the legs of that game! SMG is hardly gaining groud atm, especially in NA. I didn't expect that, but Halo 3 will end up north of 12 million.
Gran Turismo 5 I don't believe that this game will sell more than Brawl.
Subsequent Brain Training games for DS or Wii obvious, I can't see a reason why BT should be a handheld only game.
Subsequent Nintendogs games for DS or Wii obvious for DS, doubtful for Wii
Wii Music or other as-of-yet-unknown Wii brand games doubtful
Other unknown game(s) new franchises, possibly.

Brawl will cruise past the sales of the previous versions. It will make a run at 10 million sales. But it will not be the biggest game this generation. It will not sell 12, 15 or 20 million.

I expect Brawl to sell 11 million at the very best. That would be almost twice the copies that Melee sold, an impressive amount. To sell more, it had to be less nintendoish than it is, and more accessable to casuals. Different to Mario Kart, Brawl seems not to be appealing to everyone, mainly because it's a fighting game I think. That's something to remember: Brawl is a huge game in a niche genre, and that's the reason why it will see some boarders when it comes to legs.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Hmm...

First of all, here's the 12 games I guarenteed would outsell Brawl...

1. Wii Sports 24.90M
2. Nintendogs 18.69M
3. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 15.00M
4. New Super Mario Bros. 14.80M
5. Brain Training 13.33M
6. Wii Play 13.09M
7. More Brain Training 11.40M
8. Mario Kart DS 11.06M
9. Animal Crossing: Wild World 9.50M
10. Super Mario Galaxy 6.74M
Super Smash Bros. Brawl after "others" launch; about 6M
11. Mario Kart Wii 5.87M
12. Wii Fit 5.00M

The only slightly questionable one here is now Galaxy. Sales are fluctuating with supply for both Mario Kart and Wii Fit in both Europe and America, and the lower of the two will be only 1M units behind Brawl after "others" launch. The lowest selling and least leggy of DS's "big 7," Animal Crossing Wild World, will have a 3.5M unit advantage after "others" launch.

All that assumes that the 400K launch estimate holds true. But even if it is upped to 650K, it won't make much of a difference.

Of the other games I thought could outsell Brawl, one is currently contending.

Halo 3 7.99M Will have a 2M unit lead on Brawl after Other's launch week.

Animal Crossing Wii
Grand Theft Auto IV 360
Subsequent GTA games for any home system
Gran Turismo 5
Subsequent Brain Training games for DS or Wii
Subsequent Nintendogs games for DS or Wii
Wii Music or other as-of-yet-unknown Wii brand games
Other unknown game(s)

So... Be watching Animal Crossing Wii and Wii Music at E3...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

u guys seriously haven't realized yet that Wii Fit will be the best selling game of this generation other than Wii Sports?

wow

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Old threads are hilarious...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Old threads are hilarious...

agreed. wait till the end of gen. we'll have one heckava laugh party then.... (wow I rhymed. great.)

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

GTA IV killed SSBB in one week.

SSBB is tracking highter than GTAIV on 360, so delete it from that list.

PredictSales said:

GTA IV killed SSBB in one week.

lol. So you really think it will sell more than SSBB?

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

GTa4 360 will not outsell smash bros , not even in America.