By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is fear a choice? What do you fear and why?

Everything in life is Illusion
(buddha)

the choice:
this depends on how much mental impact the fear has on peoples mentality/mind.

Real fear is definitivly not some kind of choice.(fear as entertainment like movies etc .
with zero consequence is something different.
Fear is a form of suffering and can ruin peoples life.The own life or life of others(eg the fear to be punished by your god if you don't punish others for ignoring your gods will etc)
Living beings are trying to avoid suffering,the same with fear.

I'm pretty sure almost all people living in fear or with phobias would pay tons of money to get rid of the fear=if they had the choice they would forget/leave the fear behind for free.

If fear was a choice evil men could not use fear systematically as a weapon to controle other people.

Fear sells,fear makes money.The countless companies and consultants in the business of protect the fearfull
from whatever they may fear know it to well.The more fear,the better the sales.
(daniel gardner-he knows how merchandising works.even war is sold that way)

Around the Network

fear is a natural thing that you don't really chose. it is there to keep you alive or just away from things that hurt you psychologically or physically

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

The one true thing I fear is heights.

I don't think fear is a choice, but how you react in response to it is.

My gf is emetophobic (fear of vomiting)

When you can not go anywhere near people drinking alcohol, believe me, it's not a choice.

Around the Network

Neither - I think fear is a premordal wiring of the brain. Children are afraid of the dark because in the course of human history, cougars and lions would attack us at night, when we can't see, but they can.

With that said, I'm afraid of heights, and moving fast in a car. If fear were optional, then I would get over my fear by driving fast, or standing on high ledges right? Nope, I always stand on the patio when I'm at my friends 18th floor apartment, I've been skydiving, and I own a racing licence. I am scared of heights, but I love that overwhelming feeling, so I love racing cars, and going on high ledges. Skydiving was a bore though, you're so high up, there is no reference.

You might not want to call this fear, but I full out shake when I'm on my friends patio, and after going a few laps full out in an F2000 car, I'm usually shaking for a good 30 minutes. Mentally I know I have nothing to be afraid of (except maybe a rookie rear ending me), but just being high up, or doing a turn at 80km/h with the instructions of (hit the gas for more grip), does scare me.

It's not a choice, if it were I'd be cured by now.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Every emotion is a choice. For efficiency's sake, the brain does not require higher thinking to generate emotional responses--a highly adaptive trait--but through force of will, emotions can be amplified, negated, or converted into a different emotion entirely. With practice and a great deal of introspection, one can set new parameters for one's own mind to experience those emotions, tailoring the requisite triggers to suit one's personal wishes. Free will is a magnificent tool.

DeadNotSleeping said:
Every emotion is a choice. For efficiency's sake, the brain does not require higher thinking to generate emotional responses--a highly adaptive trait--but through force of will, emotions can be amplified, negated, or converted into a different emotion entirely. With practice and a great deal of introspection, one can set new parameters for one's own mind to experience those emotions, tailoring the requisite triggers to suit one's personal wishes. Free will is a magnificent tool.

So how come I can't get over my fear of heights no matter what I try? (Read comment above)

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
DeadNotSleeping said:

So how come I can't get over my fear of heights no matter what I try? (Read comment above)

The fear of heights is an adaptive trait.  At some point in your personal history, you have decided that there is benefit to an adverse reaction to heights. Perhaps you have decided that life and limb is more valuable than perceived risk.  The first step is to understand why you have chosen to fear heights so intensely; then perhaps you might understand why you continue to react negatively to it.  Understanding this much, it will be easier to choose otherwise.  This is where practice and instrospection come in. And I cannot teach you how to do that.

DeadNotSleeping said:
Michael-5 said:
DeadNotSleeping said:

The fear of heights is an adaptive trait.  At some point in your personal history, you have decided that there is benefit to an adverse reaction to heights. Perhaps you have decided that life and limb is more valuable than perceived risk.  The first step is to understand why you have chosen to fear heights so intensely; then perhaps you might understand why you continue to react negatively to it.  Understanding this much, it will be easier to choose otherwise.  This is where practice and instrospection come in. And I cannot teach you how to do that.

Why would I choose to fear heights, then constantly place myself in that position of fear?