By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP rocks Ds in Japan

:O omg!! It's over! Nintendo no longer owns the dominant handheld. Why did this have to happen :(

Around the Network
redspear said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I think probably the lack of new titles is keeping DS from reaching its full sales, all the big titles are still a while off, and maybe at this point a Japanese price drop should be considered, I mean its close to overtaking the PS2 in Japan

The DS already outsold the PS2 in Japan according to MC.

Ah ok, well VGC has them a little less, so either it has or its very close, but either way it may be time to think price drop in japan, what is the current price there anyways?

Edit according to Amazon Japan, its still the same price it launched at 16800 Yen, so its an even more impressive feat, considering that it has yet to budge in price

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sort of strange though, doncha think? Why should PSP sales have "caught up" to DS sales? (In reality, DS sales have fallen.)

The major factor is probably saturation of the DS market at the current pricepoint and with the current software.

Nintendo should do something to address this. I'm sure they are prepared for price cuts and have been working redesign prototypes. Obviously DQ9 later this year will give them a huge boost like they haven't had since 2006.

Yes, DS is crushing PSP by wider and wider margins in other markets, but the same people who ranted about how "what happens in Japan echoes in the other markets" can't just ignore that DS and PSP have been a fairly close race in Japan for a good number of weeks, at least compared to the LTD sales ratio.

Edit: though of course, DS software beat PSP software 4:1.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

True, however since DS lite has plenty of space to adjust price, and software later in the year should spur sales they probably don't have any reason to fear, although a price drop after march is looking more likely, that and maybe a new color will spur sales back up, it probably won't be until after the yearly fiscal report is released however

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I'd bet they could drop the DSL price to like $79.99 and still make money.

I'd rather have a thin and sexy DS though, like the Macbook Air! The Japanese would go crazy over it.

Around the Network

that's simply because DS already has a larger install base than PSP

For example, that's like having 100 Trillion DS's in Japanese households after the last 999 years and then suddenly, a PSP comes out and beats it for a day.

^a bit of an exxaggeration but u get my point

When Dragon Quest IX gets released we'll look back at this thread and... Oh, will we laugh...

My goodness... I guess the fad is over.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Bursche said:

Yup, and just as it passed the previous fad, the PS2

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bursche said:

Yup, and just as it passed the previous fad, the PS2

Exactly. It's like the PSP is the new PS2 and the DS is the new Virtual Boy.

Yeah, right.