By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVITA.TV just announced!!!

errorpwns said:

2DS is a handheld.. The PSVITA.TV is a home console similar to Ouya mixed with a streaming box. I don't even see how you could compare the 2DS and Vita.tv. Considering under the chart is says consoles and PORTABLES. Referring to the 3DS and Vita. If they bunch in the Vita.TV with the Vita sales I would be disappointed. It's quite decieving as they both serve different purposes. Another thing. Just because it has the same hardware does not make it the same thing. Some of segas arcades shared their console hardware. Should we had the arcade sales to the console sales? However minimal that might be?

Say I'm wanting to make a game for both PSV, PSVITA.TV, and PS3. How many versions/ports would I need to make? Well all three of those systems play PS1 games, so I could get away with making just one technically. That doesn't mean they are the same system. However, what if I wasn't a cheap skate and wanted to make the game the best it possibly can be? If I wanted to make the best PSV port possible, the best PSVITA.TV port possible, and the best PS3 port possible, how many versions would I make? Two. PSV and PSVITA.TV get the exact same game. In your hand or by the tv, they are the same system.

The ONLY way you could realistically argue its sales shouldn't be included is if you don't consider it even a game system.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
errorpwns said:

2DS is a handheld.. The PSVITA.TV is a home console similar to Ouya mixed with a streaming box. I don't even see how you could compare the 2DS and Vita.tv. Considering under the chart is says consoles and PORTABLES. Referring to the 3DS and Vita. If they bunch in the Vita.TV with the Vita sales I would be disappointed. It's quite decieving as they both serve different purposes. Another thing. Just because it has the same hardware does not make it the same thing. Some of segas arcades shared their console hardware. Should we had the arcade sales to the console sales? However minimal that might be?

Say I'm wanting to make a game for both PSV, PSVITA.TV, and PS3. How many versions/ports would I need to make? Well all three of those systems play PS1 games, so I could get away with making just one technically. That doesn't mean they are the same system. However, what if I wasn't a cheap skate and wanted to make the game the best it possibly can be? If I wanted to make the best PSV port possible, the best PSVITA.TV port possible, and the best PS3 port possible, how many versions would I make? Two. PSV and PSVITA.TV get the exact same game. In your hand or by the tv, they are the same system. They're the same hardware. Not the same system. 

The ONLY way you could realistically argue its sales shouldn't be included is if you don't consider it even a game system.

The Vita and the Vita.TV are not the same thing. One is a portable console and one is a home console. People didn't factor in the gameboy players sales into the GBA sales as far as I'm aware. They have the same hardware, but are not the same system. 

errorpwns said:

The Vita and the Vita.TV are not the same thing. One is a portable console and one is a home console. People didn't factor in the gameboy players sales into the GBA sales as far as I'm aware. They have the same hardware, but are not the same system. 

Uh, game boy player is an accessory, it can't run without the Gamecube. The PS Vita TV is its own product. So I'm not sure where you're trying to go with that.

errorpwns said:
JoeTheBro said:

Say I'm wanting to make a game for both PSV, PSVITA.TV, and PS3. How many versions/ports would I need to make? Well all three of those systems play PS1 games, so I could get away with making just one technically. That doesn't mean they are the same system. However, what if I wasn't a cheap skate and wanted to make the game the best it possibly can be? If I wanted to make the best PSV port possible, the best PSVITA.TV port possible, and the best PS3 port possible, how many versions would I make? Two. PSV and PSVITA.TV get the exact same game. In your hand or by the tv, they are the same system. They're the same hardware. Not the same system. 

I don't know how to make you think differently, but that logic makes no sense.

TheKoreanGuy said:
errorpwns said:

Uh, game boy player is an accessory, it can't run without the Gamecube. The PS Vita TV is its own product. So I'm not sure where you're trying to go with that.

The Gameboy player had its own hardware though. The PSVita TV is its own product. It ins't a PSVita nor is it an accesory or different revision of Vita. It is not Playstation Vita.  It is PSVita.TV. It shouldn't be considered a vita as it is a home console. Not a portable handheld. 

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
errorpwns said:
JoeTheBro said:

It's simple. Same hardware =/= Same system. I don't get where you think that it does. 

errorpwns said:
JoeTheBro said:

It's simple. Same hardware =/= Same system. I don't get where you think that it does. 

I guess, but same games=same system so... hey look vita is vita.

JoeTheBro said:
nuckles87 said:
An extra $50, actually. Keep in mind the $100 version doesn't even come with a controller. It also can't play some of the Vita's best games.

And the "gaikai" cloud service some people are now using to vindicate this thing won't have a particularly large market in America. You need a spectacular broadband connection for cloud gaming. I've got Comcast broadband that supposed to get something like 50 MBPS, and the thing typically struggles to maintain the kind of connection (15 MPS, I believe) a cloud service like OnLive needs. I can't even play Sonic 3 on the damn service without constant hiccups. Though who knows, maybe OnLive just sucks.

Cloud gaming is all about the ping, not the bandwidth. 3 Mbps with a 5ms ping is way better than 30 Mbps with a 50ms ping. Back when I had a ping of 0, onlive worked FLAWLESS. Couldn't even tell it wasn't running locally.

According to your Speedtest.net results, your connection is faster then 99% of the country, so I'm not sure your testament accounts for much when it comes to the mass market, which is what I am talking about. I have my doubts that most people on here will be able to make use of a cloud service, at least unless they have a really good connection to a Gaikai server in their city.

And I would like to know why ping is what matters, as the OnLive servce itself specifically mentions mbps.

I can't use OnLive and I have a pretty decent connection.

nuckles87 said:

loud gaming is all about the ping, not the bandwidth. 3 Mbps with a 5ms ping is way better than 30 Mbps with a 50ms ping. Back when I had a ping of 0, onlive worked FLAWLESS. Couldn't even tell it wasn't running locally.

According to your Speedtest.net results, your connection is faster then 99% of the country, so I'm not sure your testament accounts for much when it comes to the mass market, which is what I am talking about. I have my doubts that most people on here will be able to make use of a cloud service, at least unless they have a really good connection to a Gaikai server in their city.

And I would like to know why ping is what matters, as the OnLive servce itself specifically mentions mbps.

I can't use OnLive and I have a pretty decent connection.

Game streaming needs a base Mbps. Look at youtube for example. If you don't have enough bandwidth, you will have to wait for HD videos to load. However once the bandwidth is large enough to download video faster than it plays, extra bandwidth becomes useless. OnLive mentions Mbps because you need to at least be able to stream video at a good quality.

Ping is how fast your internet actually is. It's basically the time it takes for a video to start playing after you press play. With onlive ping is basically the time between you pressing space and your character responding. Ping is the main reason for lag in online games.