By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVITA.TV just announced!!!

People are too focused on the "It plays Vita games" thing and are forgeting that the main purpose for this is Gaikai.

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:
GamechaserBE said:
It sounded great at first but how more I read about it how more I don't want it, it is called vita tv but does not play all vita games (no Uncharted why?), a good price but then should have been included with a 64 GB memorycard atleast...8 GB sound like the PS3 12/16 GB no gamer would really want it. If they released it 2 years ago with 64 GB memorycard I would have got it but now it feels to much like 'we want to make a lot of money so buy it and buy many overpriced memorycards'

It can't play Uncharted because it, along with MANY Vita exclusives, uses touch controls heavily.

I'm surprised so many people are excited for what amounts to a gimped Vita that can't play many of it's best games.

The exciting part isn't the Vita games because let's be honest... that isn't exciting on Vita either.

The exciting part is the idea that its tied to gaikai and can even stream your PS4 content allowing you to play from ... technically anywhere. (hint you could likely buy one PS4/games and let your brother have this device to share all content.)  :)

JoeTheBro said:
superchunk said:
I'd also think this would require subscription to PS+.

Why would you think that? Vita doesn't.

FORGET THE VITA PART

gaikai... ps1-3 play... ps4 connections... and so on.

zumnupy10 said:
People are too focused on the "It plays Vita games" thing and are forgeting that the main purpose for this is Gaikai.

if thats the case, why name it PSVTV

zumnupy10 said:

yeah i agree.  this is a TV box (branded with the vita name) that plays netflix, allows tv show and movie rentals via SOE store, and oh yeah it can also play ps1, ps2, ps3, psvita, and ps4 games via gaikai.  this looks like a trojan into the world of gaming subscription services.  aka - ps5...

Around the Network
superchunk said:
JoeTheBro said:
superchunk said:
I'd also think this would require subscription to PS+.

Why would you think that? Vita doesn't.

FORGET THE VITA PART

gaikai... ps1-3 play... ps4 connections... and so on.

But it's a vita! Gaikai of course will have a paywall but ps1, psp, psv, all media, and ps4 remote play all don't need plus on vita. Sony can't just put that behind plus without looking stupid.

JoeTheBro said:

But it's a vita! Gaikai of course will have a paywall but ps1, psp, psv, all media, and ps4 remote play all don't need plus on vita. Sony can't just put that behind plus without looking stupid.

gaikai IS how it will get all the ps games including vita. Notice it has no game ports...

As others just said... its a appleTV/GoogleTV type of device but centered around Sony's digital store front. I frankly think it would be better as a GoogleTV device with a unique PS/Gaikai app that of course requires PS+.

tbone51 said:
zumnupy10 said:

So they can add it to PSV sales and in 3 years announce that the PSVita has outsold the 3DS lol

superchunk said:
JoeTheBro said:

gaikai IS how it will get all the ps games including vita. Notice it has no game ports...

As others just said... its a appleTV/GoogleTV type of device but centered around Sony's digital store front. I frankly think it would be better as a GoogleTV device with a unique PS/Gaikai app that of course requires PS+.

Did you miss this?

tbone51 said:
zumnupy10 said:

That's just Sony's marketing being itself.