By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why don't girls like videogames?

With trend of the Off topic section becoming more philosophical, here's one:

Why don't girls like Videogames? 

Why is it such a male-dominated hobby?

Around the Network

what type of question is this, I mean My Sister likes video games, and I know a lot of other girls who do.

^_^

Because most games are geared towards guys? Of course that's kind of a chicken and the egg problem right there.

Really I can't think of any other plausible reason, hopefully someone else does better than me.

For the same reason that boys don't like to play with dolls (unless you call them "action figures", of course). Because it's perceived by a great deal of society as being a gender-specific hobby. Less so now than it was a decade ago, but there's still a bit of "guys only" mentality about video games.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Because the Wii has only been out for a year and a bit. Seriously, girls love it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Every girl I know plays videogames. My girlfriend has a PSP and uses my PS3 while I'm at work, my sister has a PS2, my stepmom has a DS and plays my dads PS3 often, my mom has a Wii, my buddies sister has a Wii, GC, and PS2. The idea that girls don't play videogames is really out dated.

PSN ID: WAR_MACHINE77  Wii friend code: 7186 4304 6064 5134 Gamertag: WARMACHINE mk2

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
Post here to play with fellow VGC members in WarHawk! -> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

THEY'RE ACTION FIGURES. ACTION FIGURES! ::cries and hides in a corner, in the fetal position::

Yes, there are many girls who play videogames, but that's the exception, and not the rule. I'd say a game like Halo or CoD is a male dominated game. Is it because males are more inclined towards violence? competition? Is this the same reason why football is a male dominated sport?

Girls like video games, there is just too few games that appeal to girls to justify a purchase of a console for most girls. Also most don't pay much attention to VG since all they here about is Halo and stuff which doesn't appeal to the majority of them.

Wii is very successful with the ladies (30% of owners) and once WiiFit hits expect that percentage to grow.

Here's a statistic for you: The majority of PC gamers are women over 40. But they are playing flash games. The potential female market is huge just untapped.

That Guy said:
THEY'RE ACTION FIGURES. ACTION FIGURES! ::cries and hides in a corner, in the fetal position::

Yes, there are many girls who play videogames, but that's the exception, and not the rule. I'd say a game like Halo or CoD is a male dominated game. Is it because males are more inclined towards violence? competition? Is this the same reason why football is a male dominated sport?

BINGO!! Women prefer social activites over competition. Creativity over violence.  CoD/Halo won't appeal to many women.  The all-mighty and never dying SIMs franchise is over 50% purchased by women.

well alot of girsl like videogames,but alot of them just dont want to waste their time playing

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"