By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't worry about Atari, they will be around forever!

Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:
You collect doom articles like you collect pre-crash era magazines. You are so obsessed with doom. Let it go man, this aint the bucket list. I know it's hard but you've got to move on.

If it bothers you so much you could just easily leave the thread instead of continually putting down Richard. 

As you have said yourself, you've got to move on.

By the way, I did stick an edit message on top, adding a bit more to it, explaining plug in Microsoft, Sony and so on.  I did have etc... meaning others also in it.

Also, in regards to my said collection, it is more like I bought them back in the day and didn't throw them out. I also think people saying, "Man, stop thinking about doom!" end up missing the point of the state of the industry now, and how people here can end up seeing their hobby end up getting a lot LESS content in it, if things go wrong.  I lived through that era, and saw things went into computer gaming.

I must have missed it. I went back to double check what was said and only read the initial portion which mentioned just Nintendo and Activision. My mistake.

I went back and edited.  Just saying after your post I went back and updated it.  It wasn't that you missed it.  I just had presumed people would bother to see etc... as actually meaning something.  But, as I noted in another thread, I am doubting people read the original posts anyhow.

Also, I did want to clarify about my magazine stuff.  I think I am increasingly becoming an accidental collector.  It isn't like i am trying to collect.  I just want to have stuff I can play and remember playing.  I end up being a collector as a result.  Blech.  I need room.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

I went back and edited.  Just saying after your post I went back and updated it.  It wasn't that you missed it.  I just had presumed people would bother to see etc... as actually meaning something.  But, as I noted in another thread, I am doubting people read the original posts anyhow.

Also, I did want to clarify about my magazine stuff.  I think I am increasingly becoming an accidental collector.  It isn't like i am trying to collect.  I just want to have stuff I can play and remember playing.  I end up being a collector as a result.  Blech.  I need room.

Ah nice, I wasn't wrong!

What magazines are they by the way? I used to collect GamePro magazines back in the 90's. I loved how they rated games with those facial expressions (Highest score is a guy with hair sticking up, wide eyed and mouth opened) and the writers with their created character names. It was awesome as a kid. 

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:

Ah nice, I wasn't wrong!

What magazines are they by the way? I used to collect GamePro magazines back in the 90's. I loved how they rated games with those facial expressions (Highest score is a guy with hair sticking up, wide eyed and mouth opened) and the writers with their created character names. It was awesome as a kid. 

That is post-crash stuff you likely have.  The stuff I have somewhere is pre-crash.  I also have Atari 8bit computer magazines, such as Analog and Antic Magazine.  I believe Atari Age also lives on now as a website.

Some of them I recall, which I may have some still somewhere would be (Based on this site http://www.retromags.com/magazines#.Uiu_N8aTiSo):

Computer Gaming World

Electronic Fun

Electronic Games

And now, I am motivated to go hunt down the magazine wherever they are.

richardhutnik said:

That is post-crash stuff you likely have.  The stuff I have somewhere is pre-crash.  I also have Atari 8bit computer magazines, such as Analog and Antic Magazine.  I believe Atari Age also lives on now as a website.

Some of them I recall, which I may have some still somewhere would be (Based on this site http://www.retromags.com/magazines#.Uiu_N8aTiSo):

Computer Gaming World

Electronic Fun

Electronic Games

Yeah, everything I had was post-crash. I was born in 1984 and didn't begin playing video games until at least 1987-1989, beginning with the 2600 and then moving onto the NES and becoming absolutely obsessed with Zelda, which continues today. Played every single game, except for Wind Waker, which I am happy about actually since it has been remade. I was young and dumb. I looked at the graphics and thought it was "kiddy and terrible." Now I am 29 and I think the style looks so awesome.

Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out. I am trying to learn a bit about things from before my time or during my time that I was too young to understand and appreciate. Just downloaded a ton on Infocom games on my iPhone. Nice collection of text styled games from way back like Zork, The Lurking Horror, etc... Nice collection called "The Lost Treasure of Infocom", released by Activision. You get every single title (Around 12-15 I believe) for just $10.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:

Computer Gaming World

Electronic Fun

Electronic Games

Yeah, everything I had was post-crash. I was born in 1984 and didn't begin playing video games until at least 1987-1989, beginning with the 2600 and then moving onto the NES and becoming absolutely obsessed with Zelda, which continues today. Played every single game, except for Wind Waker, which I am happy about actually since it has been remade. I was young and dumb. I looked at the graphics and thought it was "kiddy and terrible." Now I am 29 and I think the style looks so awesome.

Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out. I am trying to learn a bit about things from before my time or during my time that I was too young to understand and appreciate. Just downloaded a ton on Infocom games on my iPhone. Nice collection of text styled games from way back like Zork, The Lurking Horror, etc... Nice collection called "The Lost Treasure of Infocom", released by Activision. You get every single title (Around 12-15 I believe) for just $10.

If I recall correctly, Electronic Fun had a computer game program in every issue people could enter in.  Ahh, those where the days.  And I did think Wind Waker looked real good back when it came out.  It reminded me of an animated movie.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:

Computer Gaming World

Electronic Fun

Electronic Games

If I recall correctly, Electronic Fun had a computer game program in every issue people could enter in.  Ahh, those where the days.  And I did think Wind Waker looked real good back when it came out.  It reminded me of an animated movie.

You were probably older and not as young and dumb as I was when it came out.

I was caught up in the stupid stuff in those days. First I argued with kids in highschool about how Nintendo 64>Sony. Then I played PS1 and thought 
Holy Shit!", I fell in love with JRPGs. Still 100% loved Mario Kart 64 though. It's still my favorite title in the series.

Anyways, don't want to continue to derail your tread. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:
Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:

Computer Gaming World

Electronic Fun

Electronic Games

I was caught up in the stupid stuff in those days. First I argued with kids in highschool about how Nintendo 64>Sony. Then I played PS1 and thought 
Holy Shit!", I fell in love with JRPGs. Still 100% loved Mario Kart 64 though. It's still my favorite title in the series.

Anyways, don't want to continue to derail your tread. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts.

To get back on track, I will make mention of how I was an Atari fanboy and hung out until the final days with my Atari 8bit computer against the evil Commodore empire.  I then did eventually get a Commodore 64, and my fanboyism died with that.  I went on to go PC later.

richardhutnik said:
Euphoria14 said:
richardhutnik said:

To get back on track, I will make mention of how I was an Atari fanboy and hung out until the final days with my Atari 8bit computer against the evil Commodore empire.  I then did eventually get a Commodore 64, and my fanboyism died with that.  I went on to go PC later.

Nothing wrong with that, it only means you have been around the block. I am a PC guy myself, I just did not realize it. I spent 5 years total on DIablo 2 and would waste countless hours of work figuring out the best PVP setups. Never spent as much time on 1 game as I did with Diablo 2 (Other than SaGa Frontier on PS1. No matter what I do I can't ever get bored of that title. We NEED a SF3.)

Anyways, now I FINALLY got back into PC gaming.

Best decision I ever made.

Currently playing:

RolStoppable said:
richardhutnik said:
RolStoppable said:

Ghostbusters 2, the movie.

The movie itself wasn't that good either.  I am pretty sure though that Nerd ended up ripping what you said, a new one also.

Yep....

It's not about quality at all. The Ghostbusters in the movie controlled the Statue of Liberty with an NES Advantage controller. Which I said in response to your statement of how big Atari used to be (their logo showed up in the movie Bladerunner).

Sorry for the confusion.

morenoingrato said:
MohammadBadir said:
morenoingrato said:
Don't worry about Sony, they'll be around forever!

i laughed way more than i should have.

If someone thinks they are untouchable, it's probably them.

Of course! Especially after the massive financial success that was the PS3.