By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Would you support Marijuana if everything else became illegal?

Maybe if Pot wasnt illegal, less people would resort to synthetic pot, that spice crap.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
Kasz216 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Kasz216 said:

I wouldn't call Tobacco infinitly worse.  It doesn't really provide any upsides, but it's not more unhealthy then Marijuana.

Some health studies make it look worse but that's largely because they compare pack a day smokers to people who get high  a couple times a month.

Same usage rates, cancer worries are likely the same.

There are many studies out there with conflicting results on lung cancer ranging from higher risk than tabacco to reducing the risk, so we can't pretend to know either way, and even if the risk of cancer was equal with the same usage rates, the average weed user smokes a lot less than the average tabacco user, as you mentioned. And then you have edibles, and vaping which is quite popular and does very little damage to the lungs if any. 

What we do know is there are hundreds of thousands of recorded deaths a year related to tabacco, and no recorded deaths related to weed, and one substance is extremely addictive while the other isn't very addictive. 

The studies aren't conflicting.  Simply just done with different presets so as to present different results.

So which ones present the legitimate results? I would like to know what your claim is based on. 

All of them.  They are just have different definitions of light, moderate and heavy.

For example, one study that says it isn't as bad, compares someone who smokes pot 3 times a month, with someone who smokes 20 cigarretes a day. 

However said report also notes that extreme users suddenly face a sharp increase in cancer.  Lamenting the fact that they couldn't find more prominent users. 

Moderate users were listed as smoking Marijuana 3 times a month.

What do you think the increase of cancer would be for someone who smokes 6-9 cigarretes a month?  (assuming 2-3 joints unless your a lightweight.)

In general 3 times a month seems way to light to me.   2-3 times a week seems more common to me... and I know a decent number of people who smoke every day usually after work or right before bed, and more people that would if they could afford it/weren't beholden to "drug dealer time".   (I imagine people who use it medically do so?)   I imagine once legalized it would cheapen up quite a bit even with the federal tax, since the stuff is cheap as hell to grow and if you taxed it too high you'd defeat half the purpose of legalizing it.

For Heavy use to be  4 times a month and higher... is there really any wonder such studies wouldn't find much cancer risk anyware?   I wouldn't even consider someone who smokes 4 times a month to actually be a regular user.   More a social user, like someone who only drinks 3-4 times a month with friends, Or a guy who only smokes when he's at bars.  

DD_Bwest said:
Maybe if Pot wasnt illegal, less people would resort to synthetic pot, that spice crap.

Yeah we used to sell that stuff.  It's fucked up.  

We used to ID for it, but since it's "incense" you honestly probably don't have to, so many places are probably selling that shit to people under 18... and that stuff seems seriously bad.

First hand experience: Alcohol makes people into d-bags. I was one of them. I started drinking just 3 days ago and I overdid it last night and I was told that I was really aggressive while im drunk. I also felt like trash in the morning, dizzy, depressed and was in bed almost all day. (Hell the last 2-3 times I posted here I was drunk :P thus my ban)

Weed: It makes u relaxed everything feels good, I'm still myself and can think properly, I can't stop laughing, and I don't feel like shit later on.

The gov't is a piece of trash for making weed illegal and taking money from: Tobacco Co., Alchohol Co., Pharma Co., Private Jail Co., and others so they don't stop making billions from the uninformed public.

Kasz216 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

So which ones present the legitimate results? I would like to know what your claim is based on. 

All of them.  They are just have different definitions of light, moderate and heavy.

For example, one study that says it isn't as bad, compares someone who smokes pot 3 times a month, with someone who smokes 20 cigarretes a day. 

However said report also notes that extreme users suddenly face a sharp increase in cancer.  Lamenting the fact that they couldn't find more prominent users. 

Moderate users were listed as smoking Marijuana 3 times a month.

What do you think the increase of cancer would be for someone who smokes 6-9 cigarretes a month?  (assuming 2-3 joints unless your a lightweight.)

In general 3 times a month seems way to light to me.   2-3 times a week seems more common to me... and I know a decent number of people who smoke every day usually after work or right before bed, and more people that would if they could afford it/weren't beholden to "drug dealer time".   (I imagine people who use it medically do so?)   I imagine once legalized it would cheapen up quite a bit even with the federal tax, since the stuff is cheap as hell to grow and if you taxed it too high you'd defeat half the purpose of legalizing it.

For Heavy use to be  4 times a month and higher... is there really any wonder such studies wouldn't find much cancer risk anyware?   I wouldn't even consider someone who smokes 4 times a month to actually be a regular user.   More a social user, like someone who only drinks 3-4 times a month with friends, Or a guy who only smokes when he's at bars.  

Ok I get that now. Still, effectively there's still a far lower health risk since most people don't smoke that much seeing as that study didn't find many "extreme" users. But I see what you're saying. Now that I think about it, the use of roaches instead of filters in joints means you're inhaling more smoke than you would with a cig, so 1 joint could be the equivalent to a couple cigs or something in terms of carcinogens inhaled.

But don't you think that we would have some solid evidence on this by now? If it does in fact significantly increase the risk of lung cancer why wouldn't, for example, the DEA be all over this with conclusive proof? 

Around the Network

I have been smoking grass for 16 years. I hate the drug alcohol. I hate how it makes me feel, what it makes people do in society and the deaths it causes through the behaviour.

anyhow. Smoking grass does not make me not be myself. It just relaxes me, and can often help when pondering on a day or situation.

i have always worked hard, im currently a manager of a restaraunt and look after 30 members of staff. I have 2 children and a beautiful wife. A nice house and enjoy my gaming hobby and formula 1.

so yeah marajuana which is a natural drug should be legalized. Its only due to tax that it isn't. In fact it was the paper wars ( hemp vs trees ) that caused the illegalization of marajuana.

so yeah. That's my 2 cents.

"if everything else became illegal?"

No. Absolutely not.

One, I enjoy an occasional drink or two (but never more than that!) But more importantly, that would create so many more problems than it would solve (see: 1920's)

Andrespetmonkey said:

Ok I get that now. Still, effectively there's still a far lower health risk since most people don't smoke that much seeing as that study didn't find many "extreme" users. But I see what you're saying. Now that I think about it, the use of roaches instead of filters in joints means you're inhaling more smoke than you would with a cig, so 1 joint could be the equivalent to a couple cigs or something in terms of carcinogens inhaled.

But don't you think that we would have some solid evidence on this by now? If it does in fact significantly increase the risk of lung cancer why wouldn't, for example, the DEA be all over this with conclusive proof? 

"It can give you cancer just like cigarretes" isn't the most closed door victory arguement"   The research and arguements are out there on that end too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-146853/Why-cannabis-greater-cancer-risk-tobacco.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/01/29/us-cancer-cannabis-idUSHKG10478820080129

It's just the whole thing is a "mudfight" on terminology that makes the whole thing look shakey on either end, so why bother with it, when you can use the other means they use.  

The "Gateway" drug arguement... while a bs correlation vs causation trick, is a much better arguement... as far as convincing people anyway.

Andrespetmonkey said:

Other factors are also not taken into account.  Not everyone smokes joints,  Some smoke bongs or pipes.  Bongs ofcourse filtering the smoke in the water.  But also that brings other elements into it.  Not all pipes and bongs are glass, some contain metals not just as the structure but also as a screen.  ontop of that with matches youll be inhaling extra sulfur, and lighters youll have what ever is left from the spent butane.

and man.. this talk about how much is considered "heavy" or "extreme" ...  im terrified to know what i would be concidered.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

DD_Bwest said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

Other factors are also not taken into account.  Not everyone smokes joints,  Some smoke bongs or pipes.  Bongs ofcourse filtering the smoke in the water.  But also that brings other elements into it.  Not all pipes and bongs are glass, some contain metals not just as the structure but also as a screen.  ontop of that with matches youll be inhaling extra sulfur, and lighters youll have what ever is left from the spent butane.

and man.. this talk about how much is considered "heavy" or "extreme" ...  im terrified to know what i would be concidered.

Hahaha. Me to.