By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Doesn't need 1m day one sales--Payton misquoted

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/08/mgs4-doesnt-need-1m-day-one-sales-payton-misquoted/

As fun as it's been to dream about the vague, but imminent peril hinted at by Metal Gear Solid 4 assistant producer Ryan Payton when he allegedly told Reuters that the game must sell over a million copies on day one (or else...?), it's time to wake up -- all bets are off! Speaking on the Bionic Commando podcast, Payton denied ever quoting the ominous figure, admitting, "I don't even know how many figures we'd need to sell to be profitable." (Figures? Aren't we talking about game sales?)

"More importantly, that's not something you really talk about in an interview," Payton continued, "I've been trying to contact Kemp Powers over at Reuters to see, I don't know, if he recorded it on tape, but I'd love to hear it. So we can set the record straight." Well Payton, consider the record straighted with us. (This whole thing never made much sense anyway ... What if it took two days to break a million -- then what?)

__________________________________________________________________________________

I'm glad they set the record straight--a million in one day would be GREAT, and it would also be possible, but required?  No way.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

Konami must have came down on his ass.

EDIT: Okay...that doesn't sound right but I'll leave it in there because you know what I meant.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

As far as I'm concerned a full-price sale is a full price sale whether it occurs launch day, the next day or the day before it becomes a bargain Greatest Hits title. So I never really understood how doom would occur if they didn't reach 1million in one day. How many it sells before becoming a greatest hits is what will determine the viability of the project and of other projects of its magnitude.

^ LOL. (two, three, four)

It took him this long to address himself being misquoted? How many months has it been? I am inclined to agree with ClaudeLv250.

Around the Network

what would be nice is for the "tape" to surface

Took him long enough.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It's too late Konami. We WILL give you a million day one. We WILL pay the price if we fail.

That is all.

I'm not sure how often this guy reads online chat's and such guys :P It's not exactly printed press news here xD.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I already started a thread about this but its dead. Anyways i checked to see how much assasins creed has sold and its about 2 million (ps3) so if assasins creed (emphasis on ASS can at least reach a million i have no doubt mgs4 will at least reach a million.