By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Indepth Look a Xbox One's 'GPU'

Mmmfishtacos said:
Zappykins said:

Ok, good luck with that then.  Don't read the articles though, you might not be happy.

I think you need to go back and read and actually understand what they are talking about. Pay attention this time, during the press conference Cerney said nothing about sound processing. 

http://www.gamechup.com/mark-cerny-ps4-contains-a-dedicated-audio-processing-chip/

There’s dedicated audio hardware,” he revealed. “The principal thing that it does is that it compresses and decompresses audio streams, various formats. So some of that is for the games – you’ll have many, many audio streams in MP3 or another format and the hardware will take care of that for you.

“Or, on the system side for example, audio chat – the compression and decompression of that.”

He also added that the GPU can be useful to do different types of audio processing.

“It really does come down though to the amount of parallelisation that is natural to perform for that algorithm, and that does vary greatly depending on what you are doing specifically in your audio processing. I think that as you go forward we will see a hybrid approach in a couple of years where certain aspects of the audio are being done on GPU.

Earlier he revealed that PS4 GDDR5 RAM latency was not much of a factor since the GPU could handle it.

Again, it's right there in yet another article, He's saying the GPU can be useful in some types of audio processing like ray casting. Not that Devs  need to use the GPU for sound processing.

So before you respond with another "good luck with that" comment, you should provide a source, cause right now it seems you don't know what you're talking about.

Baha! Thanks, someone was asking for the GPU sound reference.  I think they thought I was making it up to make Sony look marginally competent.

So the one advantage is has, a more powerful GPU, they ruin that as well! 

Good job, Sony, Cell 2.0 here we go.

Sigh, thinking of my story about the cousin that boast about doing great, then somehow, always messes up.

Here is an interpretive dance using the football medium to interpret my statement.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Zappykins said:

Ok, good luck with that then.  Don't read the articles though, you might not be happy.

I think you need to go back and read and actually understand what they are talking about. Pay attention this time, during the press conference Cerney said nothing about sound processing. 

http://www.gamechup.com/mark-cerny-ps4-contains-a-dedicated-audio-processing-chip/

There’s dedicated audio hardware,” he revealed. “The principal thing that it does is that it compresses and decompresses audio streams, various formats. So some of that is for the games – you’ll have many, many audio streams in MP3 or another format and the hardware will take care of that for you.

“Or, on the system side for example, audio chat – the compression and decompression of that.”

He also added that the GPU can be useful to do different types of audio processing.

“It really does come down though to the amount of parallelisation that is natural to perform for that algorithm, and that does vary greatly depending on what you are doing specifically in your audio processing. I think that as you go forward we will see a hybrid approach in a couple of years where certain aspects of the audio are being done on GPU.

Earlier he revealed that PS4 GDDR5 RAM latency was not much of a factor since the GPU could handle it.

Again, it's right there in yet another article, He's saying the GPU can be useful in some types of audio processing like ray casting. Not that Devs  need to use the GPU for sound processing.

So before you respond with another "good luck with that" comment, you should provide a source, cause right now it seems you don't know what you're talking about.

Baha! Thanks, someone was asking for the GPU sound reference.  I think they thought I was making it up to make Sony look marginally competent.

Sigh, thinking of my story about the cousin that boast about doing great, then somehow, always messes up.

Here is an interpretive dance using the football medium to interpret my statement.

You really don't understand do you?

Zappykins said:

WTF do you want to say? I can't understand.

PS4 have a audio processor too... it was reveled in February... what the Cerny said that can be done on GPU is Ray Casting Audio but that even the audio processor in Xbone can't do.

ethomaz said:

Zappykins said:

WTF do you want to day? I can't understand.

PS4 have a audio processor too... it was reveled in February... what the Cerny said that can be done on GPU is Ray Casting Audio but that's even the audio processo in Xbone can't do.

I guess he believes that an OPTION for a developer some how makes the GPU weaker....

Mmmfishtacos said:
Zappykins said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
Zappykins said:

... ....

You really don't understand do you?

Looking at a problem and calling it a 'feature' is not going to work out well in the long run.  They did what they could in copying the other console, but it's the last gen one, and the target has moved.

I undersand you are not happy.  And I think you going to be even more unhappy in a few months.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

I was led to believe that the eSRAM was one of the main factors behind the high transistor count?

The reason for a large transistor count is reflected through one big block, yes, the big block of eSRAM. For a 32 MB eSRAM array, there is 268,435,456 bit cells, for a 6T (6 transistors per bit cell) configuration, it would translate to 1.61 billion transistors, while for a 8T configuration, that’s around 2.15 billion transistors.

You really don't have a single bit of understanding what cerney is talking about. And it clearly shows. Not only do you not understand you have yet to post a source that back up your claim. I'm done with you till you can have a reasonable conversation about the topic. 

Mmmfishtacos said:

You really don't have a sing bit of understanding what cerney is talking about. And it clearly shows. Not only do you not understand you have yet to post a source that back up your claim. I'm done with you till you can have a resonable converstation about the topic. 

Good!  Good!  Cause you aren't adding anything but making me feel really bad for you. You don't seem to understand and keep just saying the same thing over again.

Then you try to make points, and it looks even worse. 

It's just sad.  I feel bad for you.

Tell me a funny joke!

the-pi-guy said:
Zappykins said:

Looking at a problem and calling it a 'feature' is not going to work out well in the long run.  They did what they could in copying the other console, but it's the last gen one, and the target has moved.

I undersand you are not happy.  And I think you going to be even more unhappy in a few months.

What exactly is the problem?  

They did give a new reference to the GPU being utilized for sound.  And they are just assuming it's a good thing. Almost trying to boast even.

In games, no, it's not a good thing. As it take processing from the graphics, which is what the GPU is supposed to be doing.

It's like making a carpenter a secretary.  They use different skills and the construction will take longer.

Tell me a funny joke!

This^