By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Indepth Look a Xbox One's 'GPU'

Like the previous article it wrote a lot of errors... the most notable the GPU/eSRAM clock... MS already confirmed 853Mhz so why he wrote 831Mhz? To fit his maths?

"There is obviously the Radeon GPU, something that sources say is somewhere between an HD6000 and HD7000 in capabilities and a fraction behind what Sony has in the PS4."

Why he is downplaying the GPU? It is obvious the GPU is far way better than HD6000... it is close to a HD7790 (Bonaire) with enhancements.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Like the previous article it wrote a lot of errors... the most notable the GPU/eSRAM clock... MS already confirmed 853Mhz so why he wrote 831Mhz? To fit his maths?

"There is obviously the Radeon GPU, something that sources say is somewhere between an HD6000 and HD7000 in capabilities and a fraction behind what Sony has in the PS4."

Why he is downplaying the GPU? It is obvious the GPU is far way better than HD6000... it is close to a HD7790 (Bonaire) with enhancements.

what are your theories on the bandwith

what is it now? 68GB/s 102Gb/s 109Gb/s 192Gb/s or 204Gb/s

if it was increased from the base 102Gb/s to 109Gb/s from the recent OC shouldnt the peak now be 218Gb/s?

since its revealed that its capable of simultaneous reads/writes will we ever even see the peak claimed 204Gb/s?

Play Me

BHR-3 said:

if it was increased from the base 102Gb/s to 109Gb/s from the recent OC shouldnt the peak now be 218Gb/s?

since its revealed that its capable of simultaneous reads/writes will we ever even see the peak claimed 204Gb/s?

The real bandwidth is 109GB/s but in some way that I didn't know or have any theory the system can in the best scenario reach 204GB/s... it's weird because like you said if you doubled the bandwidth the number have to be 218GB/s.

Seems like MS is using some trick to reach this peak.

Ill be honest alot of this is over my head. I know some bits, but others i need to research.

from what I understand is that ps4 will have more graphical power but not by much. In fact the difference wont be that noticeable.

i get the impression though Microsoft from the beginning put alot of focus on the xbox one doing alot of things simultaneously. I believe from my understanding the xbox one will be faster than ps4 at multitasking, simultaneous video processing etc.

Microsoft seem to have built a machine that is great for graphics and great at everything else to.

looking forward to using my console and tv for gaming, surfing the web, snapping in apps simultaneously and having windows 8 apps available. Should really change the face of consoles and its uses as we know it.

BHR-3 said:
ethomaz said:

Yea, I noticed he makes some wierd typos.  I wonder if he wrote parts of the article then tried to change it as some of the numbers came out and forgot to fix some of them. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:
Nice article, very interesting.

Now I hope nobody will try again to say that xbone memory bandwith is over the ps4's by adding eDRAM and DRAM's bandwith. That's getting old.

I know! Like you even need to show that.  Cause the Xbox One has 15 additional Co-processors, and Sony is telling it's developers to use the PS4 GPU to produce sound. Yes, the Xbox One has seperate processors to handle the sound why others have to made to on the GPU.

The Xbox One CPU is one of the largest chips ever made.  Isn't it kinda funny how some are so scared of it.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Stinky said:
It's implied in there that DX will handle the eSRAM usage, it'll be interesting to see the finished product.

Yes, should take the programming load off the developers and put in on Microsoft.  I think that is why they went will a well seasonsed DirectX 11 variant and not DirectX 12.

So nice to the developers they are.

Tell me a funny joke!

selnor1983 said:
Ill be honest alot of this is over my head. I know some bits, but others i need to research.

from what I understand is that ps4 will have more graphical power but not by much. In fact the difference wont be that noticeable.

i get the impression though Microsoft from the beginning put alot of focus on the xbox one doing alot of things simultaneously. I believe from my understanding the xbox one will be faster than ps4 at multitasking, simultaneous video processing etc.

Microsoft seem to have built a machine that is great for graphics and great at everything else to.

looking forward to using my console and tv for gaming, surfing the web, snapping in apps simultaneously and having windows 8 apps available. Should really change the face of consoles and its uses as we know it.

While yes the PS4 does have a more powerful GPU, it may not end up looking or working that way.  First from just a hardware perspective one of the things Sony is doing is asking the developers to use the GPU for sound.  So that takes away some of the GPU's processing.  As this article states the Xbox One has 7 separate co-processors for sound (other articles quote 2) to free up the CPU. That's just kind of weird if that Sony thing turns out to be true.

Plus, from the software side, Microsoft is really good at getting performance out of hardware.  They work hard to make DirectX a platform programmers want to use.  Look at the Windows Phones, they run better than android, while android has much more powerful hardware.  You can often make a ten fold increase in performance by switching software.  I remember at a job years ago we switched from Mac to PC, and while the hardware was relatively on par, their was and 18 times increase in performance.  So literately, what would take a couple of hours on the Mac could be performed in 6 minuted on the PC. 

While I'm not quire sure if it's true, many sources are saying the Xbox One's CPU is at least twice as powerful as the PS4's CPU.  So conceivably the Xbox One could have a significantly higher frame rate, and the CPU does more processing and the GPU just has to render the scene. Sony reminds me of that cousin that really wants to do well and boast to challenge others.  Studies hard for class, then shows up late for the test.  You route for them, but they always trip up somewhere, and you feel bad for them.

I'm really looking forward to it's TV switching as you described.  Especially when my local cable keeps moving around the channels.  It's going to be a neat little system.

Tell me a funny joke!

ethomaz said:

BHR-3 said:

The real bandwidth is 109GB/s but in some way that I didn't know or have any theory the system can in the best scenario reach 204GB/s... it's weird because like you said if you doubled the bandwidth the number have to be 218GB/s.

Seems like MS is using some trick to reach this peak.

I think some of those are typos.  He even has the undervalued the GPU at one point.  I thought it was already fairly well agreed it had a peak of 264GB/s. 

But yea, Microsoft is doing some interesting things under the hood.  They must think they are worth it, or why would they make one of the largest chips every made for the Xbox One.  With it giant cache and those 15 extra co-processors, plus two more in Kinect. 

Looking forward to seeing them running in person.  Just two more months.

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
RenCutypoison said:
Nice article, very interesting.

Now I hope nobody will try again to say that xbone memory bandwith is over the ps4's by adding eDRAM and DRAM's bandwith. That's getting old.

I know! Like you even need to show that.  Cause the Xbox One has 15 additional Co-processors, and Sony is telling it's developers to use the PS4 GPU to produce sound. Yes, the Xbox One has seperate processors to handle the sound why others have to made to on the GPU.

The Xbox One CPU is one of the largest chips ever made.  Isn't it kinda funny how some are so scared of it.

What where did you get that from? 

Cerny says the PS4's custom silicon incorporates not only the CPU and GPU, but also a "large number of other units." The chip has a dedicated audio unit to perform processing for voice chat and multiple audio streams. It also has a hardware block designed explicitly for zlib decompression. The main processor is backed by a secondary chip that enables an ultra-low-power mode for background downloading. In that mode, the CPU and GPU shut down, leaving only the auxiliary chip, system memory, networking, and storage active.

http://techreport.com/news/24725/ps4-architect-discusses-console-custom-amd-processor