By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Japanese animation legend Hayao Miyazaki set to retire.

I'm very sad to see him go, but it's well deserved. What an awesome legacy to leave behind.

I'm curious to see what his son is going to do in the coming years, I have from up on poppy hill on order, will be watching it soon. Makoto Shinkai looks very promising too. His last feature length movie, Hoshi o ou Kodomo / Journey to Agartha / Children who chase lost voices, is very close to Ghibli quality.

Credit also goes to the awesome music of Joe Hisaishi, I wish I could have been at this concert.

Around the Network

nooooooooooooooooo :(

SvennoJ said:

I'm very sad to see him go, but it's well deserved. What an awesome legacy to leave behind.

I'm curious to see what his son is going to do in the coming years, I have from up on poppy hill on order, will be watching it soon. Makoto Shinkai looks very promising too. His last feature length movie, Hoshi o ou Kodomo / Journey to Agartha / Children who chase lost voices, is very close to Ghibli quality.

Credit also goes to the awesome music of Joe Hisaishi, I wish I could have been at this concert.

But... Tales Of Earthsea... AUGH. 

Well...I love the guy but I gotta respect him for retiring while he's still producing such great work...

Necromunda said:
SvennoJ said:

Hayao Miyazaki's director's debut was The castle of Cagliostro. A fun saterday morning cartoon, but nothing like his later work. I'll reserve my judgement of Goro Miyazaki until he has at least 3 movies under his belt.

Around the Network

Well deserved. He gave us enough outstanding animation movies, from Nausicaä to Ponyo
(Cagliostro is great as well but not an original work).

Can't wait to see his last work The Wind Rises and his son's latest one From Up On Poppy Hill (which looks very interesting according to the trailer).

I saw this and was 'No no no no no!" but the man has made a great many things, is 72, and should be able to retire if he wants to.

I hope this doesn't mean the end of the Porko Rosso sequel.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

SvennoJ said:
Necromunda said:
SvennoJ said:

Hayao Miyazaki's director's debut was The castle of Cagliostro. A fun saterday morning cartoon, but nothing like his later work. I'll reserve my judgement of Goro Miyazaki until he has at least 3 movies under his belt.

Fair point, I just can't get over how bad Earthsea was, I had some extreme difficulty watching that movie. 

Kaze Tachinu is a really bold project indeed. Doubtlessly it will be less depressing than "Grave of the Fireflies," (which is good), but still a boldfaced confrontation of WWII-era Japan, which is doubly needed nowadays

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Sad, but not surprising. Miyazaki is ancient. Maybe not Queen of England ancient, but still.

I hope he has a good retirement. (Which he should, he probably has quite a few stacks of cash.)